Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emission testing time!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Emission testing time! Reply with quote

Failed it. Figured I would. I haven't gotten a chance to really do any good tuning time. Failed from too much HC (I was at 310, limit is 220). Anyone have any advice for things to do chip-wise?

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what test do they do? chances are you are going to need to take out some fuel, and maybe add some timing. Also make sure you cat is in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it's a mostly stock car so do the usual.

Oil Change, Tune Up(plugs atleats), good gas (IE not arco), long drive before hitting the test station.

Did you fail at idle or cruise?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Arco is 10% alcohol. That should help hydrocarbon emissions. Also check the pump next time Paul, Arco stations are BP, which is also 76. You're basically gettin the same thing at all 3. Except for a small bottle of additive they dump in when they fill the station tanks.
turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do what i did...pay 150 in improvements and fail again and get a waiver...lol Laughing

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSR 305 with the later lt1 cam

I just did plugs/wires/cap/rotor/pcv/fuel filter before I went.

Cruise was perfectly fine, even quite a bit under but idle was where I failed. It was just the sniffer on the rollers.

I'm going to try messing with the fuel a bit and get my free re-try and if I fail then I'll just register at my ex-gfs place that doesn't need emissions so I can figure this out later. (I was pulled over the other day because my registration expired in july. Whoops...)
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ARCO I've ran made some serious carbon deposits and would cause all my rigs but one to diesel. Switch stations and it went away. Milage went up to.

The Union 76 around here all say Conoco/Phillips 66, is that owned by BP? I know BP owned Arco and AMPM, but they seem to be rather independent of one another...

I had better results that 2.8 from slinky on 76gas.

Ian, you'll want to take out some idle timing, get the engine as hot as you can safely, and pull some fuel out. Do they check for the nox emission where you are? And do they check idle/cruise emissions or do they speed up to 25 and coast a few times?
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the temp of the engine was somewhat low so that may have affected it. (With the current t-stat and fan turn on temps it never leaves 180*--this I forgot about until I left.) The cat is less than a year old so I don't WANT to replace it but I do know that it could be bad, or just not up to snuff.

It had a full tank of Chevron 89 in it and still has 3/4 of a tank... I'll pick up a can of that Guranteed2Pass crap for friday.

The test was surprisingly fast. I pulled forward on the rollers, she shoved the sniffer in the exhaust, told me to put it in second gear and get between 24-26. Then she told me to let off and pull it out of gear. Then it was over. Dun dun duuuuun. Oh wait... Took me longer to find the damn place than to fail the test... Laughing

I'll overlook my current bin and see what I can mess with. I won't get to retest until friday so that'll give me some time.

Thanks a lot guys!
ET phone hoME

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, im glad i dont have to test for emissions and i kinda wonder what my results would be.... sucks your having all those troubles.
CheezX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the following in the chip:
Idle O2 Rich/Lean Slow Zero Upper Error = 0.46V
Idle O2 Rich/Lean Slow Zero Lower Error = 0.44V
Idle O2 Rich/Lean Threshold Fast = 0.45V

Your idle may be a bit rougher, it can be tuned out with the idle PID constants. If you need to, bump up the idle speed until it smooths out. As long as it idles steadily under 50kPa it should be fine. Also check the plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for stealin the thread a bit, but yes Paul 76 is BP. All the BP stations here changed to 76 a few years ago. And on the 76 pumps in longview theres a sticker saying it is a BP company, just like the sticker on the Arco pumps.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheez...

What will that do? Are you reccommending that for an all the time thing or just to pass emissions? Thanks again guys.

Oh yeah, you done fartin around with that xmember yet? Very Happy Just messin.
CheezX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the target values for the O2 sensor, it will lean out your idle. I drive it like that all the time. You might find that those settings make the idle unstable (which can be fixed with other settings), but it's a good starting point.

My crossmember is done. I found a place to do waterjet cutting, I've got some other projects I'm getting done there. If it works out I can get more crossmembers done there too. I have no excuse for not sending pictures though, except my dad took the camera to Texas! Mad I should try with my cell phone at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: