Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying an abandoned car?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Buying an abandoned car? Reply with quote

I was hoping someone here had more experience with vehicle title laws than I do and could offer some advice on this problem.

A buddy of mine was renting out a spot in his garage, and the guy skipped town and hasn't paid the rent. I've offered to buy the car, but we have no title, and no way of contacting the registered owner to get a release of intrest or whatever.

I can't find anything online about it, and the people at the DMV wouldn't offer any advice beyond telling me to call a tow company. Is there any way we can claim the vehicle as abandoned property so it can be sold, or am I out of luck?

The car is nearly restored Mercury Monterey with the Breezeway hardtop, so I'd really hate to lose it to the crusher.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was part owner of a shop, we had a guy leave his car. I didnt handle the getting "ownership" of the car. But the guy that did, called someone. Filed some paperwork. I think we had to run an add in the paper for xx days. Then after around another 30 days or so, it became our/his car.

Try talking to someone at the local PD, as if someone come back to claim it, they would have to go thru them, not the dmv. Tow yards do this all the time, so there is some process, and SOMEONE knows how to.

Luckly for me, it was an f-body and I traded some parts/labor for the nose of the car.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File for lost title?

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you file a lien on it?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris - I don't know if it would hold up without a contract to rent the space (which I doubt he has, but I haven't checked).

Ian - DMV said no way on that unless I can get a notarized letter of release from the owner.

RSVert - I didn't think of asking TPD about it. Mostly cause I tend to avoid them as much as possible, but it's worth a shot.
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a lien on the vehicle, with proof of a contract related debt is a way I know of first hand. Works just fine with a paper trail.

2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed VQ30
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the state of washinton you need to take the car to the state patrol garage to be inspected checking vins and such. then run the numbers on the puter to contact the legal owner or next of kin if no responce or legal party(s) no longer want responsibilities. then you are able to file a lost title then reissue your car with new vins but you'll only be able to register it for the next 3 years until the title is cleared of interests. and able to recieve a title after 3 years. you can get it done faster if you know a used car salesmen.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigg Daddy is right, except I don't know how a used car salesman could help you. A lien free title in this case does take 3 years to be reissued by the state, giving legal time for people and owners to make claims against/for the vehicle.

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we found out with "Guido the punisher" (paul's chevette) you can tittle and drive the car in that three years. you just don't actually "own" it yet. a faster method would be to have a signed bill of sale from the prior owner. "but he slipped town", yeah yeah i know... but did he leave a signed bill of sale on the hood... oh look he DID. Wink
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you get an official in lieu of title form that proves "ownership."

wanarunhard

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: abandon cars Reply with quote

i own a shop and what i do is get a junk slip from the local pd and then send a certified letter to the owner if he doesnt respond after two weeks the car is mine then i have the state patrol do a inspection and get title to the car
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the local DMV.

If you don't have some kind of paper trail... you have to file a lien if it's on YOUR property. IF it's on his property he has to make a bill of sale to you. Then you have to pay to find the info of the registered owner. Send a signature based snail mail to that address stating you'd like the title signed over, you bought the car, yadda yadda. IF that comes back signed you're golden. If it get's returned to sender... you take that and your bill of sale to the DMV. Along with your state inspection of the car to verify that it's not stolen, etc. Pay to register. Done.

You get a 3 year registration. After 3 years, they mail you the title.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=tony] but did he leave a signed bill of sale on the hood... oh look he DID. [/quote]

I like this idea Wink

I am having the same thing with my trailer. Cause I didn't have the receipts to prove I built it (doh) I got a new VIN for it and I have to pay the tabs for three years. After that I get the title. Interesting that they do the same thing for cars.

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, you hit the nail right on the head man. I went back to the DMV and this time talked to someone who wasn't a complete asshole. He basically told me everything you said, and got me a few forms for requesting the last known address of the owner, and requesting a release of interest.

Gonna have to do a bit of paper shuffling, and get a notary to stamp a few things, so I'll see how this goes. Thanks for all the help, guys.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Paul, you hit the nail right on the head man. I went back to the DMV and this time talked to someone who wasn't a complete asshole. He basically told me everything you said, and got me a few forms for requesting the last known address of the owner, and requesting a release of interest.

Gonna have to do a bit of paper shuffling, and get a notary to stamp a few things, so I'll see how this goes. Thanks for all the help, guys.

<<<<<<<<<<< Chevette experiance yeah baby yeahhhhhhhhh.
Red Bird

1991 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Help Me Save an 86 Trans Am From the Wrecker! Reply with quote

So i have a similar situation, My buddys roomates boyfreind had the hood on his 86 trans am come up on him tommy boy style on the freeway ruining the hood and smashing the windshield. he then parked it at my freinds house, where it has sat for months. My buddy said the guy would take 200$ for the whole car, but can not find the title. The owner of the car is kind of flaky and lazy so getting him to go to the DMV and requesting a new Title is not really an option. So now can i write up a document stating that the car is being sold to me for the amount and have both of us sighn it, and take that to the DMV to get the title in my name? if not what would be the easiest quickest way to go about getting this car without having to wait 3 yrs to get the title? My buddy wants it out of his driveway, like yesterday, but i dont want to pay the money tow it to my house and then find out that i wont be able to make the car roadworthy. Plz help me save this Thirdgen from going to the Boneyard! i really want it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. (This is in WA by the way)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: