Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone here know about towing yards and impound business?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zer0321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: anyone here know about towing yards and impound business? Reply with quote

I just got a letter in the mail today from ABC Towing in Vancouver, WA...

It states that a 1990 Jeep Cherokee that I sold in November 2005 is at their lot for whatever reason, and that I need to pay their fines or it will go to collections, suspend my license etc. etc.

It says that since I am the last registered owner and the DOL doesnt have a Report of Sale on file, I am responsible as the registered owner of record if the "legal owner of record" flakes out. I've tried contacting him various ways but have not got ahold of him yet. I assume that since the Cherokee has been sitting for almost two weeks he has no intention of removing it.

I would go pay for it, because it was a nice rig and I would like to have it (legally in my possession). Here's the thing though, I sold it as a washington vehicle to a guy that lives in oregon...

is there any way for me to legally get it back or am I stuck with choosing between paying for some bonehead's towing fees or suffering the consequences?

LESSON LEARNED: Always file a report of sale on the DOL website and keep a copy....don't try to mail it in or you could regret it later(didn't have internet access at the place I was living when I sold the truck).
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you can get it back. But I do know you are responsible for all tickets, fines etc if you dont send in the report of sale. Had a buddy that got nailed for a ton of parking tickets on that once.
zer0321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a copy of the report of sale and bill of sale- but apparently the DOL never got it, (I swear I remember mailing it off...).

I'm hoping I can get ahold of this guy to sort things out (I have his e-mail, myspace, phone number and address) but if it doesnt work out, then I need to work on a plan B so I'm not as completly screwed as it seems at the moment.

here's a pic of the rig when I owned it:
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bank records for a check deposit from him? As far as I know, growing up with the family car dealership, you are correct in assuming that the state sees this still as your car. Since he never titled it, he never "bought" it, and without your report of sale....well....you may consider getting some legal help.

Wish you luck! Sorry for your trouble.

2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed VQ30
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a bill of sale from when you sold it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zer0321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
Do you have a bill of sale from when you sold it?

I'm pretty sure I do have it around here somewhere...

UPDATE- I checked with the towing yard today, they are saying they will release it to me no problem. I also checked with DOL and they said that I could file for a lost title....however the oregon DMV claims it is in their system too, so the issue becomes whether or not this guy is going to come after if I get it out, because then it becomes a civil matter.

I'm trying to get in touch with him to get him to fill out a notarized 'release of interest form'...who knows if that will happen though.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to go and inspect the car before you go heads first into getting it back... it may be some tattered POS that doesnt run, and that's why it's been sitting where-ever-the-heck for two weeks, neglected.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find the Bill of Sale, and it has the buyers signature on it, you're off the hook for the fees, but he will have legal claim to the jeep. Providing of course you submit this Bill of Sale to the DOL in washington (I don't know if it has to be notorized or what..)

As far as the Oregon side:

If the dude never submitted the Title in Oregon to DMV and registered the vehicle, your WA title/registration should still be valid, in listing you as the legal owner. In Oregon if you leave a car in a tow yard for more than 4 days without claim they send out a letter to the last legal owner of the vehicle informing of the fees and the Lien put on the vehicle. Generally the lien is in the cost of the storage fee not the vehicle's value. If you do not respond they proceed to auction the vehicle, and whatever costs are not met at the auction to the storage fees they can come after you legally to pay.

If you want to find out about the Oregon title thing, all you have to do is stop by any DMV office in Oregon and give the VIN number (might also help to present the WA title or registration card and old plates if you have them) to find out if they did a VIN inspection and titled the car in Oregon. They'll also tell you the name and last registered (with DMV) address of the owner. Then maybe you can show up personally and have a chit chat or figure out things with the dude who bought your car.

Good luck either way.

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get a fine anyways. I think by law you only have 5 to 10 days to submit the sellers report of sale. Forget what it says on the back of the title.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: