Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TWO!!! !?!?!?!? tree huging hippie oregon....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: TWO!!! !?!?!?!? tree huging hippie oregon.... Reply with quote

what does sound have to do with environmental quality?

i deq'ed the GTA today. passed on everything emmissions related. this is with NO AIR injection system and a gutted CAT (prior owner, i would never gut a cat). and it scores a 96DBA. the limit being 94DBA. weak as hell.

our state is so messed up. you can't title a car until it passes deq. what gives? anyway, is there anything temporary and cheap i cn do to quet her down WITHOUT making my emmisions worse?

would getting functional CATS make it quieter? then i could put straight pipes back on once i pass the sound test. normaly i would not intentional remove emmissions equipment needed to keep the car air friendly, but if it will pass without cats then i guess i don't need them right?

thanks for the help guys. i know the lamma had this same problem.in fact i am going to search for his post about that....

Last edited by Xophertony on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a cat will quiet a car significantly. Or you can have a glass pack put in in its place temporarily if you just want it quiet for a bit. You might pack the muffler with steel wool.. but it might not come out again either.

You can ask John bout DEQ.. The Llama has lots of experience there.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found the post i was talking about, it was on TGO and says nothing about the solution. but john does use the term "treehugger" which is what i searched for to find it.....
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like Brandon said, catalytic converters help keep the noise down a lot more than you may think.

I like the cats for the noise that they filter out as well (popping gets annoying).

a 3" direct fit cat is like 120 dollars from summit (I have one on my car Wink, fits nice).

Does the GTA have headers? A 3" exhaust system? Straight pipes and a gutted cat?

personally I think straight pipes and a gutted cat sounds like poopy on a stick, but I've heard a few cars that sounded decent like that. But they all had headers.

i'd atleast stick a muffler on there if you're running straight pipes.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock headers, gutted cat, flowmaster 40 single outlet muffler. 3" at the end. keep in mind i have only had this for a weekend. i have not even had it off the ground yet. Rolling Eyes the DEQ guy just informed me i have two cats....
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I also failed for noise. 96Db's after passing testing for noise at 92db's 27 times in a row. Rolling Eyes

Unfortinatly, my solution was to register my car outside of the DEQ testing zone. I ran my car thru DEQ 34 times, and never did pass.

I would toss a cat in there for now, that will pass the sniffer, and the noise testing.

The other important thing I learned. DO NOT try to argue with the idiots at DEQ, even their managers are idiots, and you will not get anywhere. Wink

"Ever see a Motorcycle in front of a Psychiatrists Office?" Me neither
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gross, stock manifolds, a gutted cat, and flowmasters? I bet it makes a lot of popping sounds Wink lol.

You can get rid of the 2 cat system if you get a different cat-back.

My exhaust system cost me around 550 dollars or so, which isnt too bad I guess.

It was 250 for the Hooker Cat-back, 125 for the direct fit cat, 25 for SLP's catalytic converter adapter, and 150 for the SLP 1 5/8" headers and y-pipe.

In the meantime just to get you to pass inspection you can always block off one of the tailpipes. Power should decrease, which in turn, should decrease noise, without effecting your emissions too horribly I wouldnt imagine.
badbob66

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sux,Washington does not have a noise pollution law,emissions are hard enough to pass why do they have to make it harder Confused
next you wont be able to have a loud stereo Mad
Bob

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no poping at all. the odd thing is it only has one output pipe.... i think the DEQ guy was just making stuff up Confused he said i had a cat on the drivers side AND on the passanger side. IIRC duel cat setups on these cars have two cats on the passanger side. i'll get it up on stands and take a good look around tomorow before i go to ed's muffler in hillsboro. that DEQ guy is off his rocker Laughing
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there were setups with dual cats, but I always thought they were early year f-bodys, not mid years. Then again, I dont remember off the top of my head what year your GTA is lol.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.. quick thirdgen history lesson. GTA did not exist before 87. mine is an 88, the first year it was considered a seperate line and not an "option package". i am going to look on TGO and see what years came with duel exhaust...
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1989 was the first year for duel cats. it was an option for 350s, and 305s with a manual transmission, but not an auto. the RPO is N10. it became standard for 350s in 1990. i will crawl under the car tomorow and see what the deal is.. i expect to find a single cat.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, single cat, original factory cat. 3" flowmaster super40 muffler.

i re-tested this morning. got a 99?!? got a new cat (magnaflow) got a 95. i am going to realy let her heat up and retest tomorow
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TWO!!! !?!?!?!? tree huging hippie oregon.... Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
what does sound have to do with environmental quality?

You'll scare the trees!
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should have replaced the cat instead of the cat-back heh. I bet that the DEQ is getting pretty tired of seeing your car in there Wink lol.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they remembered all my info the third time Very Happy and i got a new cat, the cat back is what came on the car. the exhaust system as it stands now is:
stock headers and "y" pipe (more like "t" pipe Rolling Eyes
3" from "ypipe" to 3"magnaflow cat.
2.75" catback
3" Flowmaster super40 muffler
3" out the back (single exit on drivers side) Flat black.
still sounds BA

i am going to let the engine get REAL HOT and try one more time (it was quieter the first time when i got the 96) if that fails i will get a premuffler.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something doesnt add up. I know that the flowmasters can get pretty loud, but on a stock motor I dont know?

I didnt realize that magnaflow was a brand of cat Duh

You can always try restricting your motor from the intake.

Do you have TPI on that beast? If so, does it have a "dual snorkel" intake? If so, you can block one of those with duct tape or something. Then you are only breathing from one nostril Wink That should in essence quiet it down. And check it... it's free too (assuming you have access to duct tape that is)
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so loud because its a 3" 40 series. Not the crossflow that we usually see on these cars. The 40 will flow more though.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: IT PASSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

i sat in DEQ line with the engine tached up to 3grand for like 5 minutes (i gave it liittle brakes) and got the temp up near the top of the guage (not in the red) and i got a 93.6!!!!! no mods or duct tape needed. i did have a roll in the passanger seat just incase i failed, i was going to pull around and do it again Very Happy

so i shelled out the bucks and now my GAMBNO plate is ready for my GTA. i just have to go out there and switch it. this does mean my 86 is no onger licensed to drive Sad which sucks because i was still planning on driving it too. i guess i can call my insurance company and cancel the insurance on it...
ET phone hoME

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt a muzzle break on a paintball gun or a rifle help reduce noise out the end? could you rig something like that on an exhaust tip? where do they measure the noise?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: