Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those with expertice with aftermarket alarms please help.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Those with expertice with aftermarket alarms please help. Reply with quote

A co-worker of mine just bought a 2004 Suzuki (aero?...I forget the name). Periodically when driving or when she first starts the car. it'll make a couple "chirps" like one was setting an alarm. She said when she bought it, she never was given an alarm fob. Basically what I'm looking for is a way to disable its power source, so it stops doing that.

I only briefly looked at earlier today. I couldn't see an alarm trumpet in the engine bay, but I did find a little flashing red light under the dash, and traced the wires as far as I could. There are no speakers on the package tray by the rear window, so I'm guessing, this might have something to do with the alarm. Maybe a "shock sensor" in the trunk? (my camaro has my alarm sensor above the pass rear wheel well).

I couldn't find any fusable links coming off the battery cables, so maybe a relay off the starter, or somewhere with a key-on 12v source?

Any help you guys can offer is appreciated, I just don't have any experience, and would like to help her out, so she doesn't have to take it someone.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has any kill relays those will need to be removed and the wires hooked back together factory again once you kill the alarm.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup yup That's the issue, you can't just kill the brain or you'll kill the whole car. You need to find what and where they spliced and reconnect it all back together.

I have done a couple alarm removals and it is neither quick nor easy.
algershick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Yup yup That's the issue, you can't just kill the brain or you'll kill the whole car. You need to find what and where they spliced and reconnect it all back together.

I have done a couple alarm removals and it is neither quick nor easy.

Not that mine is a newer car, but I can attest to this. I pulled an alarm out of my Z28 recently. It was spliced in all over the place. Components had cut wires, stripped/bare wires, hot wires twisted together bare and hanging from the windshield washer reservoir... If its a DIY hack-job, try to trace every wire so it doesn't give you any grief later on.

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
If it has any kill relays those will need to be removed and the wires hooked back together factory again once you kill the alarm.

Does that mean I ought to be looking at a wiring diagram when I find the sensor box, so I know how to splice things back together?
algershick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll probably just have its own wires spliced into your factory wiring. You'll know when you start tracing how much work its going to be to repair. You might get lucky and just have to unwrap some tape and pull the spliced alarm's wires off.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about the prior owners, so I don't know if this was taken to a shop to be done or done by the prior owner or what. Reguardless, I'd like to go in with as much knowledge as I can find. No hack-jobs here.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the thought that I was trying to get across earlier seems to have been misinterpreted.

This thought is worth what you paid for it and no offense intended:

-This is a car built by a dirtbike company out of old Daewoo parts, so it is depreciating rapidly and will certainly explode in a few months.
-You just want to make it stop chirping so you can get in this girl's pants.
-You should just cut the damn siren wires. Cool

Alternately, if you want to see this girl long-term, you may consider taking this car to Car Toys or a local shop and trying to get a fob for it so that the alarm's functionality can be restored.
turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:

-You just want to make it stop chirping so you can get in this girl's pants.

Back in the day, I programmed a girl's stock stereo with this in mind...didn't work. Sad

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh oh oh I know this one! Lol if it has a starter kill setup it will be easy to spot. Look for a 5 pin relay that doesn't belong, that's it. Disconnect the power and ignition wires and then cut the starter kill out and reconnect the 2 ends of the starter wire together. Go on the12volt.com for wire colors and find them.

As Aaron said if you want you may be able to get a fob programmed to it, next time you are under the dash let me know what the brand/model is and I can hopefully give you wire colors to find and cut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: