Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much oil can bad heads burn?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: How much oil can bad heads burn? Reply with quote

So I've finally put the camaro into project status now that I have a new daily driver. I'm not proud but its a good economic car, 08 grand prix lol Now its time to get into figuring out why the hell my new motor is burning oil. I've got a slight puff of smoke at startup, and if I nail the throttle it smokes. Sooooo common sense would say bad valve guides correct? Is there any way to figure out for sure without either throwing down $ for new heads or tearing it apart? I rented a compression tester but of course...couldnt use it because my headers get in the way. Any creative ideas?

I ran more dye in the oil and ran over it with the uv light, not a single sign of leakage. How much oil can a bad set of heads burn?? Its kind of ridiculous the amount of oil I'm going through. My ultimate fear is that the rings weren't installed properly, especially considering bowtie performance built the block and I hope to god he did it right, I don't want to tear into the bottom end any time soon...I'm not even 10k miles in with it

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve seals will smoke when you're decelerating. Smoke when you nail it wouldnt be valve seals.. sounds more like rings. The puff when you start it is seals however.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seals, seats...both dealing with the heads lol I want to get it taken care of sooner rather than later, as far as head choices go though I'm lost. Specs as well as the cost kinda throw me for a loop lol
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluFbdy wrote:
08 grand prix

L26?

Does it burn more under accel or overrun?
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? No the grand prix is fine lol this is about the camaro, the grand prix just has a power steering pump that growls like a pissed off cat constantly
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I was asking if it had the L26, then I mentally changed gears on you and asked about the Camaro engine. Laughing

Now shifting back, is the pump drawing air or is the bearing shot?
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said it smokes when he nails it. Likely to be a ring sealing issue. A leakdown test might tell you more.

Switching gears, might it not be oil smoke? If not oil, it could be just massively rich...

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron you're killing me lol its got the 3.8na motor, I popped the cap off and checked the fluid, dirty as hell, flushed it and it got quieter, just gonna do it again

I don't see any smoke until I let off the throttle to shift but I'm assuming that's because i cacan't see it until the volume goes down what do you mean by over run?

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm obviously dealing with multiple issues here, yes its rich like crazy tune never exactly got sorted out, the blue smoke at startup however is definitely oil, and the oil consumption is a concern here, that's what started this whole endeavor for me lol
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overrun is when your foot is off the gas and it is decelerating in gear. Engine braking.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, downshifting damn nomenclature lol I haven't seen it, but the big variable here is that I can't always see it, I've been told about it by friends following me, and ive seen it myself a few times. I can set the gopro on the hatch to see better for myself.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
Overrun is when your foot is off the gas and it is decelerating in gear. Engine braking.

Yup yup Generally speaking if it burns bad in overrun the seals are shot, if it burns when you stand on it the oil control rings are shot.

Your saying that it doesn't smoke until you let off to shift is making me thing seals, but looking the mirror while you drive isn't the best test in the world. The GoPro is a really good idea, I'd be very interested to see if it works. Cool
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it helps at all I can tell you I can rev it up in the driveway with no blue smoke, once its under load the gremlins rear their ugly heads
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPro should work great.

Like Aaron said:
Blue smoke when you stand on it is rings, blue smoke when you engine brake is likely valve seals. Black smoke when you stand on it is excessive fuel.

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excessive fuel is a definite yes lol I've seen the black smoke myself quite a bit ill take a video tomorrow for a better look at things

My list keeps growing on me again

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too rich in a new motor and the rings won't seal. Start with seals and check the guides while at it.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Too rich in a new motor and the rings won't seal. Start with seals and check the guides while at it.

Yup.. and sometimes when this happens the rings will never seal. You have to rehone and new rings.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started toying with the tune around 8k miles, did the whole break in then started messing around with things, I'm willing to bet its all in the heads, they were the only used component and I've just had issues with them lately. I didn't have time to get the video today I got home from work and just passed out ill take the camera with me tomorrow andget a better look on my way home from work
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ill upload the videos later to YouTube but the gopro worked out great, I saw blue smoke at startup, and once or twice between shifts, black smoke at wot but not consistently, so valve seals and a tune is in order lol ill link the videos in the thread once they're up
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go guys, pretty sure I can say this is the first tie ive ever heard my own exhaust hahaha

take a look and tell me im not crazy, I included a couple WOT clips, startup, and I believe theres a black smoke part in there too, its only a 3 min video, didn't wanna drag it out so this is the highlights of about a half hour screwing around on the backroads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhyh9JuenA&feature=youtu.be

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: