Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter heat soaking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Starter heat soaking Reply with quote

Crew,
I installed a Powermaster mini-starter a few years ago. My only complaint is that the thing will get too hot after 30+ minutes of driving from the heat off of my Hooker headers (I think they are hookers... I bought them from Schultzy) To the point where I will have to wait 5 or 10 minutes to let it cool off before restarting. Not a big deal when you are getting groceries, much bigger deal when it dies on the street for one reason or another. Today I had to push it to the side of the road after making an emergency stop on the freeway. NOT FUN.

I have heard of people solving this with a "starter blanket" or with heat shielding. Any one have any experience one way or the other? Also, the thing is guaranteed for life... could this qualify as a starter defect?

I looked on Summitracing.com and found no heat blankets, anyone know where to get one that fits right?

Thanks Team!

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLP headers.

Really shouldn't be an issue with that small of a starter. What's your thermostat? Might consider some issues causing extra heat in the exhaust.

http://www.amazon.com/Unversal-Starter-Barrier-prevents-premature/dp/B0045T5E4O

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widened my search a bit and found this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14150
I'm going to pick it up. Even If I do return the starter this is still a good idea.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the tune? Especially the timing.

I'm with Paul, a mini starter should not be heat soaking that easily. I had issues with my factory starter doing exactly as you describe, but an LT1-starter fixed it right up.

Also try taking a look at the wiring. A poor battery wire or low voltage at the trigger wire can cause issues like this.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - Thermostat is the elusive 170* Thermo I believe, though I see coolant temps around 220* in the summer under normal conditions. You think I should try and warranty out the starter?

Arron - I will take a look at my wiring as well, that is a good idea. I have not put a timing light on the car in probably 5K miles, I'll double check it. The tune is.. well.. off. The car runs rich, which of course can cause higher exhaust temps. Paul (twilightoptics) made a chip for me after I put my SLP headers on, but before dyno. He did the best he could sight unseen, and we always meant to go back and fix it but never did.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your thermostat is a 170 and you see temps floating at 220 you do not have a starter issue.

Something is off in the tune (most likely too much fuel and.or late spark), or something is wrong with the cooling system.

This is assuming you are using a proper temp gauge, and not the goofball GM unit in the dash. Cool
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
This is assuming you are using a proper temp gauge, and not the goofball GM unit in the dash. Cool

Embarassed it's the GTA digital dash too.
MrMike98

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my stsrter issue was solved by installing a remote solinoid aka(ford).
no cutting of factory wires required...run 00 wire to starter and jumper out the starter solinoid and ur done...

AND no factory wires runnimg under headers etc to get burned and brittle
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A remote solenoid is a band-aid for low voltage at the starter solenoid usually caused by high resistance in the solenoid wire. It gets hot, voltage is too low to crank. Sometimes it can be a successful band-aid; I ran one for years! Cured my hot-start problem at the time but was ultimately unnecessary.

I believe the root cause of Tony's problem is excessive heat. Tony, learn to burn chips! Smile You can also confirm coolant temperature readings by using an infrared thermometer on the upper rad hose or thermostat housing.

If your starter ends up being bad and you can't warranty it I have a really nice LT4 starter that I never had any problems with that I will also never use again that I could be persuaded to send to you in exchange for some presidential portraits... Wink

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentally slow morning, i'm sitting here thinking "presidential portraits.. OH! Cash, I get it."

I have an inferred temperature gauge, that's a good idea.
The chip burning I have always hesitated on because I found it cost prohibitive. I also plan on going LS at some point, and then all the money I invested on chip crap is for not. i'll look into it again and see if it makes sense.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just took a look on moates.net, Looks like I need to find out what Chip socket and chip type I already have before proceeding, I should be able to do that tomorrow night. This stuff has come down in price a lot. Looks like I can get an all-in-one thing to emulate, datalog, and program a chip allready on the ECM.

This is what I am talking about:
http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-package-usb-version-p-54.html?cPath=64

But before I go nuts with ordering all that, I need to check my electrical connections at the starter, My timing, and verify what my in dash temp gauge is saying.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to do a tune on the cheap I would buy the GP1 kit from Moates:

http://www.moates.net/gp1-package-gm-adapter-with-2-chips-p-41.html?cPath=64

...and borrow a Burn1 programmer and ALDL cable from someone on the crew. That is assuming there are still some of them out there that haven't gone LS or Megasquirt. Laughing
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I already have that. My car is chipped now with an adapter like that, I just am not sure which one. I need to pull my ECM down and verify.
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running lean causes hotter exhaust temps, to a certain extent. So does running retarded timing.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more advanced timing makes more heat skyler. Wink

'88 FORMULA
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retarded timing makes exhaust heat. Ask Mike about what plug wires do when you forget to plug in the timing connector
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with stupid

Try it if you don't believe us. Retarded timing causes excess heat overall because the engine is running very inefficiently, and causes exhaust heat specifically because the combustion event is moved into the exhaust port and header tube vs. happening in the cylinder.

I remember Paul talking about how the old rich = cool hot = lean thing we all have heard over the years was an old wives tale and rich actually ran hotter. I will tell you that the Banana runs rich as f**k because of no O2, and those headers get real hot real fast.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense I suppose. I guess temps just go up in the combustion chamber when you have to much timing?? thus causing the fuel to ignite from the heat, not spark?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This didn't take long to get way off topic. Laughing

With too much advance the flame front from the plug will hit the piston face while it is still traveling upwards, trying to force the engine to run backwards.

Preignition from heat alone would be caused by carbon buildup, a poorly milled surface with casting flash, a protruding gasket lip, or something like that. Because it is separated from the heatsink of the head or block it gets hot enough to auto-ignite the mix.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... it heats them up until they melt and drip! They also make cool crop circles on my friend's lawn Wink

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: