Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have to complete by Dec Project thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchaussee

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Have to complete by Dec Project thread Reply with quote

so I figured I would put all my threads into one. My goal is to make it as nice as I can on my small budget. I have decided that I am going to do a full rebuild. I suffered a minor heart attack on thurs and dr said I need to do something that helps me destress and calm down. I enjoy working on my car. So far for enginfe I have my perfromer rpm intake, have a qjet built to old school edlebrock specs, and my 1.94/1.50 +7cc combistion and 167 intake runner heads . I am looking at pistons and rods. Many xhoices. So I guess we will start iff how do I figure out what to get and is it better to get a rebuid kit that includes all.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This conversation is better had with your machinist.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that that may be the case. I have just been browsing.cl. Also is there anyway just by apperence or size.tobgive a ballpark stall on my.torgie converter.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to look at a convertor and tell what stall it is. Stall actually changes depending on weight, gearing and hp of your car as well. So the same convertor will stall to different speeds with each of those variables.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thats what i figured. the machine.shop guy was asking.me.about stall.i will jist ask his recomendation and get at the end. I just want to make sure all parts matxh to get maximun benifit
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build the motor you want, then match the drivetrain.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Because the only tbing I am stuck.on keepinf is the rear I got. Tranny is 700r4 butbwho knows how long it will last. I am also thinking of replumbing my fuel and brake lines. But that will b later. I have to still strip down the block and get into machine shop. What usually is needed to be done at the maxhine shop to the block. ?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machinist needs to look at it and find out how nice you want it. Aka how big your wallet is.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. so basically a clean and check in my case. My headwork which.is cleaning, surgacing, leak test, spring and valve check and maybe a gew other little tbings' is running me 184. Are these heads worth doing any other work to.? What about gasket match . Some people say yes, some say no. that is something I can actually do on my own.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a potentially serious health issue. I hope it doesn't progress any further than that! Good thing you can find your happy place in your car.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart diaease runs rampant in family. though if i have, ill know.more this werk, ill be youngest so far. or I just have been overly stressed and it caught up with me. Eother way my heart has always been bad
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I'm very confused. Confused

Wasn't this engine pulled due to a slow compression-into-coolant leak? Now we're buying new rods?

When you pulled the heads was there a gasket failure?

You said in the other thread that the walls were "smooth." Do you mean that they're glazed or what? Did it have blowby? Go through oil?

Seems to me like we have a solution in search of a problem, but what do I know, I just buy craigslist motors. Laughing
turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
Heart diaease runs rampant in family. though if i have, ill know.more this werk, ill be youngest so far. or I just have been overly stressed and it caught up with me. Eother way my heart has always been bad

I'm sure smoking doesn't help your situation either...

anyways, out of curiosity, wouldn't it be more cost effective and time efficient just to buy a 260hp or 290hp crate motor? That way, you take the guess work of trying to find out what is wrong with your current set up and you're not paying other people to fix and/or build your motor.

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
MrMike98

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND jegs and summit are offering free shipping on any crate motor and no tax..................

i like this idea..
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad option for a basic 350:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499529

Or he could just, you know, slap it all back together with new headgaskets for very little money since if I recall correctly it runs fine. I guess what I'm saying is the same as Aaron but kinder. Laughing Why spend the money? I understand its one thing if you have the extra money and want to have some fun learning how to build engines, but on the other hand why fix what ain't broke?

jchaussee

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if it has alot of.miles since last rebuild. The top.of cylinders have a lip, may be just carbon bulid up. I figure if I look for deals and take time I should be in it around 1000. I figure if ibrebuild botton end stout then layer with some new heads and cam I should be able to het.some good power. I good heads for the price o a used nailgun. Cam if is usable was free be will probly need a regrind. Crank looks good. Was planning on repkacing oil pump. I just need to.figure out what pistons woukd work best for what I can afford and then but evertrhing seperate or in a kit. The reason I am.doing now is bevause I wont have time or money after fourth is born and this may be the lasy toy I get for decades.
MrMike98

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK IMHO if you tear it down then this is mandatory:

BLOCK-clean, mag(check for cracks), line bore for crank,deck, and bore next std size and hone,new cam bushings installed

rods-stress relieved and resized

crank-checked for streight and ground to next std. size.

heads-checked for cracks-valve job-surface decked for streightness reassemblied with new springs (match cam) and locks

new parts:

pistons rings & pins to match bore

oil pump

time chain

cam and lifters

all brearings and gaskets

AND pistons etc should be given to machine shop with block so they can match bore etc....

balance rotating assembly(highly recommended)

this was quick and I know i forgot a lot but these are the BASIC stuff IF you want a relaible smooth engine

just my .02 cents
turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't is cost more money and time in the long run going with the rebuild? What if the the block or heads turn out to be bad? If you got money to buy all the parts and pay someone to do the work, you have the money to just buy the long block that has at least a 12 month warranty. Labor can get expensive.

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
jchaussee

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill know shape of heads in the morning. I suppose block could have issues. Thatll go in tje shop.early nrxt montj. Iwill have shop evaluate shape of pistins and rods and then see what thier opinion is. I am enjoying thr procexx si far.,and mike, thank you for list. Thats a goid start for me
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James brings up a good point. If you don't mind, could you let us know how much the work is costing you and where you are having it done?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: