Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qjet cold start issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redlava

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Qjet cold start issues Reply with quote

This is probably an easy question. Here it goes. I am having a cold start issue. The car will start, 2-5 seconds after the car starts the car goes to an overly rich condition for a few seconds. I can give the more gas rev to about 2500 rpm and over power the rich condition. If i do not rev the engine it will flood and it will not restart. I have been doing this for a while and would like to solve the issue. I have a standard qjet with no computer controls. So i assume this is only an issue with the choke.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that your primary choke pull-off is either not working or not adjusted correctly. It looks like this:

To see if it is working, when you first set the choke with the engine cold the choke plate should close all the way. When you fire up the engine, the pull-off should open the choke plate roughly 1/8" within 2 seconds so it continues to run properly. If that pull-off is adjusted improperly it can either not open the choke enough and it will bog out rich, or it will open the choke too much and it will go too lean and die.

To adjust, simply turn the screw a bit and see if it works better the next day when it is stone cold again. Turning the screw in will make it richer when the pull-off activates and turning it out will make it leaner. To start dialing it in I would turn the screw out 1-2 turns at a time until it gets better, then narrow it down with 1/2 turn increments. The service procedure is to use a choke angle gauge and the service spec for choke plate angle for your carburetor, which you can do if you want to buy a bunch of tools.

redlava

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this seems to be putting me on the right track. It is getting better but still needs some adjusting. Thanks for the help.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still slowly tweaking it in my truck as well. Finding a setting that works well for all weather situations sometimes involves compromises, but my goal is to not have the truck die after starting at all. I should never have to "catch" it or save it from dying on a cold start in any weather.

Last edited by Alphius on Thu May 23, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reset the choke for the winter if it's that fussy.

Or get a manual choke like a real man. Razz
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on the run now, it starts no problem almost all the time. I think I need a tad bit richer though since it gets a little sketchier as the weather gets colder (but still stays running 95% of the time).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: