Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To tune or not to tube
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Jim your engine is bone stock so all you need to do is delete VATS and maybe make some other little changes.

How does deleting VATS improve performance?

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lets his car start. Very Happy
Since his engine is otherwise stock he just needs a stock 305TPI/700R4 cal burned on with VATS and AIR removed.
He will gain power since his eBay chip was running richer than Steve's wideband could measure.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew. That's nasty.
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a stock '89 305TPI tune (last year of MAF) and of course deleted VATS since my '86 didn't have it. We chopped and spliced the auto trans stuff from the ARAP .bin as well 'cause I could only find a manual trans .bin online.
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so i didnt know that if you run a cooler t stat you have to lean out the motor a bit. i have a 180 t stat, which tables should i adjust? and at idle or after its warm?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECM adds both fuel and spark advance based on temp. Look for 'Enrich vs. Temp' tables and the like. There will be several of them, use the search functions in TunerPro.

You need to modify them so that instead of hitting the "norm" at 185-195 they hit it below wherever the car usually runs. Bear in mind that GM ran some tables in standard and others in metric so keep a conversion chart handy.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Start with a SD bin that you KNOW is good. Personally the ones found on the web tend to be junk. I like to find someone with what I need and copy the chip directly, unstack it and work on that file.

Then think like this: the numbers in a cell often don't MEAN anything. When you make changes make them based on a percentage of the number in the cell.

Example: 3000RPM and 75KPA you find you're at 10:!AFR. Let's say you want 13.5:1. The value in the cell is 138. Start out small because running rich wont blow up your engine, but lean will. So roughly, and I say rough because it's not an exact science but gets you close as the engine doesn't read numbers it just burns what it gets, you're 35% too rich. Take 138 x .65 = 89.7. Now because I said it's not an exact science, I'd put 110 in the value, smooth out the map around it. The map should always be smooth otherwise that's where surging and weird stuff happens as the engine is making drastic changes with little changes to sensory input.

And go drive it. You need to watch your BLMS for closed loop operation. Acceleration enrichment and WOT you need a wide band. Period.

If you don't understand any of the terms I've used, you need to put the chip burning pieces down and do some more research and ask more questions.

Also, you should email me the current BIN that you have along with the definition file you're using. Are you using TunerPro?! (I Hope)

Yeah I'm using tunerpro rt v5, ill be more than happy to send you the 2 bins I'm working with, I've taken various datalogs on different drives, I think once I get the math down and the indentification of a mis written cell I will be better with it, and obviously there are some habitual moves to adopt like smoothing the map out and such pm me with your email if its not in your profile and ill send you the bins

Btw Idk if it matters but I've got a narrowband autometer I got with my pillar pod in a trade....is it of any use?

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All a narrow band tells you, is if you are richer or leaner than 14.7:1. Period. Any value outside of that is worthless.

You need to get your operating temperature base map right. That means when your engine is warmed up and you go drive, your long term fuel trim or "BLM" should be 123-132 across the bulk of a data logged VE map.

I'll need the definition file also. I need details on the bins. AKA Bin 1 idles good but does this. Bin 2 idles like crap but is better here: . etc etc

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my laptop is being buggy at the moment ill send it in a few f
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: