Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecoboost awareness seminar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the tune to take advantage of the intercooler and downpipes. Abosolutely loving the new found turbo whistle. I have found myself driving with no radio and windows down just to hear the turbos. Thumbs up

Had the tune in for only 1 day and I already got to toast a convertible 4.6L Mustang GT. It's just a long standing habit for me to pick on guys with manual transmissions. Laughing He gave me an inch and lost by a mile. It's always fun when people underestimate the Ecoboost. Very Happy
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two-valve mod motor? That thing has probably half the power of your V6 at this point. Laughing
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that would be even more fun! Laughing

Actually, it was the more recent retro 'stang. My 1st gear pull is pretty healthy now. I can surprise a lot of cars from a dig. But take away that advantage and it is nothing spectacular because it still doesn't have much extra high rpm power.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is shocking how much torque those engines make underneath the curve. It's very TPI-like but with maybe an extra 1000rpm on top.

What rear gear does that truck have? Still the Pirellis on it?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
It really is shocking how much torque those engines make underneath the curve.

Now be totally honest with me. You've driven one haven't you?! Shocked Very Happy

It's a max tow with 3.73. I don't tow.... I just like the mirrors. Laughing

Stock Goodyear tires, 18" rims. Actually been a great tire believe it or not! No complaints in winter and planting real solid on dry roads. I actually could not spin the tires when stock unless I rode up on the converter. But now the tires are pretty slippery in rain with 40K miles. I made the dealer turn my tires around to black walls.... Still can't believe they come with white lettering out. Ewwwww

F150 guys really complain about the stock Pirellis. Not sure what causes one brand vs the other. Maybe truck build location? I think the Pirellis are the real reason for the grand stories of 35 mph burnouts with stock trucks. I have the most aggressive gears and I could barely squeal a tire when stock.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of top end Hp seems to have a solution. Apparently the turbo wheels from the new Ford GT supercar fit in the F150 turbo housing. That is a 600 Hp car stock, 700 Hp with a simple tune. I don't know what power it would make with F150 engine but the answer is a lot more than I have now!
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a cooler thermostat so a little more can be coaxed out of the tune. I will do some data logs and send to my tuner.

I hope it doesn't make my defrost worse. I already have the worst defrost known to man, and that goes for both front and back windows.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Now be totally honest with me. You've driven one haven't you?! Shocked Very Happy

I honestly still haven't. I've driven one with a 6.2L, 5.0L and 3.7L, but still haven't driven an EcoBoost. Laughing

The gears might not be helping you as much as you think. A higher ratio loads the engine and helps spool.

I am honestly quite surprised to see how this has all played out. I figured it would be a short term win and a long term embarrassment for Ford (ala the 6.0L) but to my surprise it seems to have the opposite effect. When new, the trucks got crap fuel economy and had running issues, but now that the TSB's have run their course the engines are clocking the miles just fine.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F150 turbos are so small that any difference of spool time would go unnoticed. It is quick spool either way.

Turns out those GT turbos aren't worth much, just 30 RWHP. There are better turbos already on the market. I've learned 500 RWHP is the limit on these engines. The high pressure fuel pump won't deliver any more fuel, and it is the limit for reliability of connecting rods. Right now I'm somewhere in the high-3xx RWHP but the funny thing is the peak power is somewhere mid-RPM because turbos poop out at higher RPM. A set of LET 58mm turbos can take me to 500 RWHP and pull to redline but I doubt I will spend the money on it. I'm probably done where I am now.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes, so Ford is subscribing to the Subaru 'school of Turbo technology to keep Americans happy'.

A truck with 500 rwhp is fun for a bit, but it's not driveable, especially not a 4wd. Too tall, too heavy, too loose in the back.

Make the Firebird fast, the truck will do fine with just a warmed-over tune.

Speaking of which, hows that going?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, about the Firebird..... I haven't touched it in months. Embarassed Still on jack stands, still disassembled. I think I've been averting attention to the truck because it is easy with instant gratification. And it is what I drive all the time.

I'm kind of 50% down the path you went when you sold everything off. I'm not selling, but I scratch my head wondering what I would do with it. A 600 Hp car is kind of stupid when you think about it a certain way. And then it seems really cool when you think about it a different way. But I do like to tinker on it when I'm in a mood to tinker, which isn't often. Sooner or later it will get done by accident.

If I had a local friend that would help me with it then it probably would have been done a long time ago. Hell, I'd even pay somebody to work on it if they did it at my house (so I can be involved) and I trusted their work.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how it is. In the time I didn't finish the Camaro I did an EFI swap on one of my DD trucks and a turbo kit on the other.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest have changed over the years, but loyalty hasn't, nor has my understanding of the internal combustion engine. I was surprised to see this thread still going strong in here and recalled a similar thread from a site that has a much wider base of posters. The title of the thread is self explanatory, the rest is perception, experience etc.

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?135110-Ford-Ecoboost-Failure&highlight=eco+boost
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that reminds me. I finally got a comparison to a 5.0L truck like mine, except I weigh more with a longer bed and a 210 pound topper. He decided to race and I tore a hole in him. You know he was all smug about his V8 and I just confused the hell out of him.

The nice thing about that race is I found out where I am vs stock. I'm not a little faster than stock, I'm a lot faster than stock. Cool
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put new tires on. We'll call it, "The Big Slow Down".

Put on Goodyear Duratracs for better winter capability. Truck can't run any more. The tires just roast in 1st and even going in to 2nd gear. It's impossible to accelerate hard. I feel the extra weight too, just slower at any speed. And rolling resistance is way more than before. If it just had more traction it would be fine but these things don't hook!
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for some trail runs!

Heck, even some snow wheeling would be cool. Apparently we don't get snow here anymore, damn Republicans ruining everyone's fun. Sad
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tune is really dialed in. The truck is a monster in this cooler weather. I even managed to grab rubber in 4wd on dry road! If you don't believe me, then ask the Dodge Cummins guy, he saw it all. Very Happy
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of funny but my truck made it on the dyno before my Firebird.

Data was taken on a Mustang MD500 so no inflated "feel good" numbers here. In fact it was kind of disappointing. Need a SuperFlow to make me feel better. Laughing This was quick and dirty with no forced air cooling and hood closed, no cool down period, and trans locked in 4th gear.

(Run 1) 330 RWHP , 517 TQ
(Run 2) 340 RWHP , 442 TQ
(Run 3) they screwed up and reported Run 2 twice

No wonder it has felt like a tire shredder.... Torque is great but I am a little disappointed with the horsepower. Ya, it's just a 91 octane tune but I still expected more power. Guess I shouldn't complain too much though, it is an awesome profile for towing and it is a full size crew cab truck!

Last edited by QwkTrip on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

517ft/lbs out of a gas v/6 @ 2500rpm. Amazing
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I restored the picture link.

Ya, the torque is nothing to complain about. They cut off recording at 2500 rpm but truth is the engine erupts with power around 2000 rpm. That torque spike doesn't happen every time and it is part of the reason why I keep blowing off tires by accident. You just never know when that spike will hit versus a more smooth take-up like Run 2.

I looked a bit into Mustang dynos and I think my numbers were low. Apparently the vehicle weight is one of the inputs that determines how much load the eddy current load cell puts on the wheels, which also effects acceleration rate and HP calculation. They used a truck profile much lighter than my truck -- a whopping 900 lbs lighter. I don't know how much that effects results but it would only make my numbers better had they used the correct weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: