Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecoboost awareness seminar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty bitter towards the ecoboost. Where you.left in shame.at the starting line by one?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
As far as the ECOboost goes, where is the QT ?

Driving my truck. Where do you think I'd be? Razz
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I ask the TSB-to-mile ratio you've suffered so far?

Razz
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to know I have friends that wish me so much harm. My truck hasn't had any problems.

Just got back from a 4K mile drive out west. My wife and I both agree the F150 Ecoboost is hands down the most comfortable road trip vehicle we have ever had. Plush ride and super quiet! Very comfortable! Even my wife was comfortable despite her chronic pain (I'm really pleased about that). Plugged the iPod into the USB and just enjoyed the drive. Turbos provide great acceleration at high altitude. I could easily run around people in the mountains whenever I wanted. Lookout Pass (Idaho) might have been the steepest and highest elevation we traveled and the transmission stayed in 6th gear the whole time, even with the bed full of stuff to the top of the canopy. This engine doesn't need to scream at higher RPM's like the 4.6L and 5.4L V8 engines did. I think the fuel economy should be better but the 36 gallon fuel tank gave me a 600 mile range. All in all it was a great trip and had lots of fun! Smile
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With friends like these"

Laughing

Has the economy been that bad since you bought it, or did it drop off? A common complaint about the first-year trucks is falling economy over time.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel economy has been same since new. It does really good around town but literally doesn't improve on the freeway. Averaged around 17.5 mpg on the trip. A large portion was on roads with 75 mph speed limits. I have the largest and heaviest model truck with most aggressive gearing so I do expect to have the lowest mpg compared to all other models, but it's a far cry from 21 mpg rating. It seems pretty consistent that people with smaller trucks and more freeway oriented gears are getting 22 mpg.

I have a second year truck. There are some small differences between 2011 and 2012 model year.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I have a second year truck.

Ahh... that makes much more sense.

QwkTrip wrote:
There are some small differences between 2011 and 2012 model year.

If you consider the engine and transmission actually working a "small difference". Wink

Poor Ford. They just can't help themselves. They haven't even started to pay off the last class action lawsuit, now they've got multiple suits against them for the EcoBoost and the NHTSA is after them for the intercooler problem.

These things never change because no one cares. They just keep buying newer, poorer quality vehicles and when they break just throw them out and buy another.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Subaru has stumbled and lost power more times than any Ecoboost owner could possibly complain about. I didn't run to a lawyer about it.

The fix that Ford does for intercooler is a half-baked idea and is obviously an attempt to conserve money by salvaging the stock intercooler and piping. If I end up experiencing the problem (and that is possible) then I won't be running down to the Ford dealer for a solution. I will order up an aftermarket intercooler and prep the truck for more power. Very Happy Stock intercooler is considered to be too small anyway.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in typical Ford engineer fashion: "just jam a piece of plastic in front of it!" Laughing

Do the Wagner coolers actually reduce the condensation issue, or are they just larger?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no knowledge about Wagner. Gut feeling is it won't help unless the air tube to engine is bottom fed from intercooler or there is a way to expel the moisture. Things like this must be common knowledge amongst mainstream radiator manufacturers, wouldn't you think?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would also think that the design of an ignition module or a front axle would be common knowledge to engineers, but here we are again. Laughing

The Wagner does look like a better design at a glance:

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the Full Race intercooler. It's huge, bottom fed, and sits in front of radiator to open up space for a winch in the stock intercooler location. Makes the Wagner look like a toy.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're starting to get into some real IC's. Shorter but wider core in the Full-Race unit. Will definitely see more air as half of it isn't behind the bumper. Looks like they're using a Garrett core for it.

Winch on an F-150... That's a good one. Laughing
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Ya, I was just sayin' the winch could fit.

The Full Race parts are from a SEMA show truck that made 600Hp on single turbo while maintaining tow ratings. They worked with Ford engineering to make sure it was the real deal and not just a dyno queen.

Livernois is going a step further and developing engine components so I'm curious what they will come up with. But I'll let somebody else blow up their engines first before I touch any Livernois stuff.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QT, I'm not wishing for bad luck on your part, just read a lot of reviews stating the Eco boost was a legit replacement for a diesel. Seems like it is a transitional engine at best. Time will tell. I'm still upset GM didn't come out with the baby max, it would have been perfect for heavy 1/2 ton P/U's and SUV's. I would have traded in my truck for one and swapped the Tahoe also. Like I said, hopefully Ford builds a decent track record with boosted small displacement gas engines. In typical GM fashion they may jump into the fray with like products.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been almost a month. Qt, keep us posted on your experience. Like I said, not hoping for any ill will in your part. Just an honest update. Turbo charged gasoline V6 being advertised as a diesel replacement is a tall order.

Update on my 03 duramax, 1 of the injectors is going out. Smokes a lot at idle, not bad yet under load. 5K to have a shop replace the 8, parts and labor, 400.00 each plus gaskets and fuel lines to do it myself.

My 10 year old truck with 150K on it still gets 20 plus on the HWY and 12 towing 10K + over Snoqualmie pass as of last weekend. It does ride like a tank unloaded. Man I wish GM would have come out with the babymax in a heavy half ton, I would pony up the 50+k for it.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's way high for cost of inj. How do you know its an inj? Measure individual return rates? You can reuse the lines. Just get new washers. Gaskets can be re used also.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you all see that Nissan has announced a 5.0L Cummins V8 is going into the Titan? That's going to create a huge quandary for a lot of people. Laughing
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. New Cummins engines break like Ford engines. Razz

I'm holding out for a small diesel truck to be sold in this country, like they are in virtually every other country on the planet.

Hell, I'd settle for any small truck to be sold in this country again.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree aaron. The cummins has much better reliability them any of the new ford versions. That's what ford gets for ditching navistar.

I don't know that there will be much customer brand loyalty changes. I'd venture to guess there will be a lot of new diesel buyers that haven't been impressed with the american chassis. The titan is just that.... a titan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: