Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecoboost awareness seminar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this thread topic goes back several years. I just cannot imagine a V6 gas engine lasting longer than a truly "ENGINEERED" diesel engine. No way, no how. The gasser may produce the same TQ but theres no way it can survive a severe towing invironment duration that a diesel engine can.

Lets see how a 250K Eco Boost V6 holds up to "severe" towing conditions. Not one persons results rather a general consensus. Ford does not have a track record for this. No manufacture does with a gas engine.
From my minimal experiences of the ecoboost, owners are defensive. Lets see how they prove out under real consumer opinions.

I know for a FACT my 03 Duramax still gets over 24 MPH on the HW and has zero issues towing. It has 150K on it know and so far I have had to replace both front hub assemblies ( 250.00each) and some of the injectors before I owned it. The injectors were under warranty, replaced at 25K.

It has had a couple of electrical gremlins but is still going strong. The factory brake pads have about 50% left on them. I replaced the crappy stock tires at 50K and the replacement tires are now just starting to show there age.

Theres much more to towing capacity than a plate on the door jamb. I never feel like my truck is over welmed towing. It has little to do with power, rather the whole package. I honestly think it has a lot to with weight of the tow rig.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking ford diesel.. they can't do any worse.

I've got 3 powerstrokes I've been working on lately. One has 28k miles. The FICU computer died along with the injectors and the main pcm. Several thousand later it's running again. I had to send this to ford because I don't have the ability to flash the modules.

Another in an f550, this one is a 6.4. The truck currently has 77k miles. At 36k the engine had to be replaced. At 72k I had to pull the cab and replace the high pressure injection pump. This last week he came in with a bad #2 injector.

This week I'm putting head gaskets in a 2003 6.0. About 50k miles. $900 in parts.. few k in labor. Last week he had to have the ficu replaced at $1800. It also is having problems with the egr system.

Not a good track record for a town as small as this.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard any good info on ford/powerstroke diesel engines since the 7.3.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard much about their newest ford designed diesel. Hopefully its better then the 6.0/6.4 .
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even at the end of the 7.3 they started to have trouble.

'99 was the last year of Ford I have seen make it past a quarter mil with jobsite or towing usage.

Ford started pressuring the Navistar engineers to cut corners, and they did. That's how the 6.0 ended up such a POS. Then Ford just cut out the middle man and started designing the cheap crap themselves.

The days of being able to buy any new vehicle that will last are gone. The bean counters took care of that for us.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you're wrong about new vehicle that will last. In the day a car was shot at 100k miles. Now I regularly work on 300k + mile rigs. They just dont get as old as they used to.

If you mean will we have 25 year old cars in the future? Then no.. the electronics and plastics won't hold up that long and there won't be replacement parts. Every day now I run into obsolete parts on cars. Hell.. I had to get my last ecm for the 87 out of san diego.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more what I meant, B.

I'm used to working on cars from the 60's and 70's that are still going strong. Now I'm seeing cars from 10 years ago that are rusted out or worn out or just crap engineering to begin with.

Part of the toilet paper society, I suppose. Why bother fixing anything when you can throw it away and order a new one from China.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
From my minimal experiences of the ecoboost, owners are defensive.

Um.... LOL! Do you see what is really happening here? The only people that are defensive and arguing are those who don't own the Ecoboost.

Guys, all I did was have a drag race. That's it. Oh ya, and I
SMOKED HIS DOORS WITH A V6! LOL!!! Twisted Evil

Laughing
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also kinda funny how one of the haters is a turbo v/6 guy... Razz
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron:
On the other hand, there's plenty of cars from the 60s and 70s that suffered the same fate. 10 years and used up, disposed of, just like you're complaining about from cars today. How many 70s Hondas or Mustang IIs or Chevettes or Pacers were junked because they were used up and rusted? I think you've got a bit of confirmation bias going on here.

The cars from the 60s and 70s that were disposable throwaway cars that all broke and got tossed in the 80s and 90s? You don't see them anymore. A majority of desireable cars from that era were used up and discarded too. What percentage of '70-'72 Chevelles produced do you think are still on the road today? How many got crushed due to being rusted, worn out pieces of junk? It takes dedication and love to keep old cars on the road, not just being "better built".

The cars from the late 90s and 2000s that are disposable cars getting run into the ground you still see on the road. They haven't been discarded yet, even if they may be in the future. All you see of older cars are the ones that beat the odds and were taken care of properly. Honestly, with less care and more abuse I see cars nowadays lasting far, far longer than cars of yesteryear. 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance? Not a big deal. There's a reason old cars had 5-digit odometers. Wink

The desirable, well-engineered cars will be better taken care of than the throwaway poorly-engineered disposable ones. How many 1987 Ford Tempos are left vs 1987 Mustangs? Which one do you think sold more?

People will find ways to keep the cars that they love on the road. Cars that aren't loved get tossed when they aren't worth it anymore. Look at how my Z28 used to look for a good example of a used-up car that wasn't worth keeping on the road but stayed around because I'm an idiot who loves thirdgens. Razz

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are thinking like you. You need to see things from the perspective of an Ecoboost owner. Who were we? How did we think? How did we live? What great things did we do in our time? How did we shape the future of America? A few years from now you guys will be riveted to your seats watching a Ken Burns documentary about this on PBS and you'll be saying to yourselves, "Man, those guys were badass!"
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
You guys are thinking like you.

I know. What a problem.

QwkTrip wrote:
"Man, those guys were badass!"

Jon, your logic remains infallible. Cool

Alphius wrote:
The cars from the 60s and 70s that were disposable throwaway cars that all broke and got tossed in the 80s and 90s? You don't see them anymore.

While this is somewhat true, my old man was getting almost 30 years out of his Mopars before they rusted out, and there isn't a 70's American car cheaper or more poorly engineered than a Dodge Dart.

Alphius wrote:
How many 1987 Ford Tempos are left vs 1987 Mustangs? Which one do you think sold more?

While I see, and agree with, your overall point, this is a skewed result because the Tempo and Taurus both came with Ford's 80K transaxles.

Alphius wrote:
Look at how my Z28 used to look for a good example of a used-up car that wasn't worth keeping on the road but stayed around because I'm an idiot who loves thirdgens. Razz

Oh you don't need to tell me about poor vehicle purchases. Laughing

While I'm at it: are you towing that thing behind a 2nd-gen S10 Blazer? Shocked
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think that people's opinions are strongly influenced and formed by their need?

The person that needs to manage a tight budget is going to be very conscious of how to make every dollar count. Being savvy how to buy good used cars and how to fix them is the right skill and right priority for that person. Cars are a big part of living expenses and going about it the wrong way can be costly. On the other hand, some people can afford to indulge themselves and make different choices. In that case, somebody is going to buy newer or more expensive things because maximizing every dollar isn't the primary objective for that person. Naturally, the choices are going to be different.

Each way in and of itself is neither right or wrong, but applying the wrong strategy could be wrong for a person's situation.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
While I'm at it: are you towing that thing behind a 2nd-gen S10 Blazer? Shocked

Dodge Durango 5.9. Not as terrible as an S10. We towed a few cars with it.

IROCDave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "Ford ecoboost lawsuit" and or click on this link to get the perspective of actual owners and what they are going through. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/class-action-suit-ecoboost-problems-153403/

As is normal, couple guys have issues and post them. The diehards tear em up, then more people start posting similar issues, then the tone settles down, some eat a bunch of crow then the group realizes there is an "issue". Read tons of this kind of stuff when I was looking for a HD diesel truck in 2006. Didn't read that on a GM rather a power stroke (6.ohno) site.

My truck is starting to smoke at idle. Bad injector, common problem on LB7 duramax's. Not a cheap problem by the way. I stopped by a shop in Snohomish last week to talk to them about replacing the injectors. While waiting I picked up what looked like a rocker arm built in the 20's in Russia. Seriously, flat pieces of steel with a plastic clip that held the rocker arms " flat pieces of steel " in place on the flat piece of roughly machined steel that bolted to the heads. It came off a 6.4 Power Stroke. The pushrods had pushed through the rockers. Truck had 60K on it. This reminded me of the plastic gears ford used in exploder starters in the mid 90's.

I hope your ecoboost provides you 200K of service with no issues, but I doubt it will.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random Google search for broken 6.4 rocker arm - http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-motor-problems/203117-09-f250-supr-duty-6-4l-broken-rockers-5.html

The pictures make this look like more than what it is, stamped steel and pressed in parts. Google it yourself, tons of pictures of broken rocker arms on 6.4's.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk. I just passed 306k on my 7.3 . Still goes strong.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
I hope your ecoboost provides you 200K of service with no issues, but I doubt it will.

In 2011 I said this:

aaron_sK wrote:
I have seen firsthand with the Powerstroke how fast Ford's engineering can go down the toilet when confronted with the real world. I am sure that the EcoBoost trucks do great in the lab, I will become a believer when I see them on the job with a few hundred K on them.

I stand by it. The EcoBoost is a failure in my opinion. I rarely see them on the road, and have never seen one working. I have seen more guys working out of Honda "trucks" than EcoBoost trucks. It was an engineering toy that sold to old guys and they broke, repeatedly.

The ironic thing is that given time any poorly engineered pile will actually become desirable as the aftermarket steps in to do what the designers wouldn't. My neighbor has a 6.0 that's running strong after heavy modification to both the engine and the tune. Ten years later the aftermarket has fixed an engine that would not do 100K out of the factory doors.

At some point you will be able to buy aftermarket rocker arms for the 6.4L and guys will do that mod as soon as they buy the truck, sort of like the EGR mods you do out of the gate on a 6.0L.

Ford and their dealers make money servicing all these "individual catastrophic failures," the second and third owners get a screaming cheap deal on a "broken" truck and fix it up themselves. The only people who get screwed in this new deal are the people buying the trucks new.

jchaussee wrote:
Idk. I just passed 306k on my 7.3 . Still goes strong.

'99 is the last good year. Cool
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspention is beginning to show its age though. But.i did het a doctors order to get new shocks. The bouncing is tweaking neck and cousing issues
IROCDave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a silver bullet fix for the 6.0 power stroke. Ford sued IH for the 6.4 and apparently it isn't much better than the 6.OHNO. The new PS engine doesn't have the immediate problems but also provides horrible fuel economy and still has shady reliability.

Who would have thought that the GM Isuzu partnership would have turned out to provide the best diesel engine combo for the last 13 years?

As far as the ECOboost goes, where is the QT ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: