Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonsensekid20

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Help please Reply with quote

So I have a little problem. None of my gauges work. I have a 3 gauge pillar pod that has oil pressure, water temperature and voltage, out of those 3 the voltage doesn't work. I have an aftermarket tach that used to work, and yesterday I turned on the car and nothing. It does the same thing my aftermarket voltmeter does and sits at its lowest point but if you hit it it'll try and move up a bit. But with my tach you can push the test button to see where the shift light turns on and the shift light doesn't turn on so it's like there's no power to it. As for the gauge cluster, the tach has never worked, neither has the oil press or water temp. But now, the speedo doesn't work and neither does the fuel gauge. Andy tried helping me yesterday and he was getting a signal off the ports that plug into the cluster, just no readings from the cluster. I've already switched out the PCB and had no such luck. Any ideas?

Edit: Took out the stereo to see how the guy wired the aftermarket tach and he wired it into the stereo harness -.- From the tach there is a green wire, pink, white, and black. Green goes to dizzy, pink goes to 20ga yellow wire in stereo harness, white i dont know where it goes and black goes into the stereo ground wire. Also, when I turn on the key I hear what sounds like a buzzing from the aftermarket tach. Just trying to give as much info as I can for the best answer. Any help is appreciated.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of hokey wiring and some lost powers/grounds.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white wire from the tach probably goes to the dash lights.

Paul called it, you need to wire your gauges correctly. Give them their own fused power source and their own ground to metal. Seeing tapped stereo wiring is a dead giveaway that there has been some poor choices made under that dash in the past. Laughing
nonsensekid20

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work for the aftermarket tach, but what about the wires going for the original gauge cluster?

Edit: I used this diagram
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/electronics/612647-91-92-camaro-pinout.html

and found that it shows #2 (driver side) as the ground, but using a test light found that #3 is actually the ground. On the right side plug, it shows #8 as the ground, but using the test light I found that to not be true but rather it was #12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: