Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Master Cylinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Seems my master cylinder has started leaking around the reservoir seal. Unsettling. I want to take this opportunity to upgrade to a 4th gen master cylinder. What's the best option here?

Also I'm gonna tee my front brake lines so I don't have a big ugly gutted prop valve sitting there doing not much. I just need a flare tool and a tee for this right? What kind of flares do I need to make? What kind of tee do I buy?

I don't feel like wading through TGO or doing this by trial and error, so if anyone has any insights feel free to share. Very Happy Thanks.

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by an inverted T and use double flares. No reason to do anything more fancy.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do the fancy thing and used a line lock instead of the tee... but Brandon is totally right. Laughing

I put a late fourthgen master on a thirdgen booster no problem. Apparently the later ones are better? Shrug Heck if I know, but you rode in it and it stops just fine.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll just snag a 98-02 master and bolt it onto my booster. Should get something decent that way. Very Happy

EDIT: Some research indicates that I will probably want a 98-02 LS1 master cylinder because it is the best. Actually I just don't think I want that residual pressure valve doohickey.
Quote:
LT1 master cylinders have a residual pressure valve to help overcome the springs in the rear calipers. LS1 master cylinders do not have this.

Using a LS1 master cylinder with LT1 rear brakes will cause your brake pedal to almost drop freely the first inch before "catching". This is because the rear caliper springs will pull the pads all the way back without the residual pressure.

The master cylinder in 4th gen F-Body cars must match the rear brakes.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus the LS master lets your retain the low fluid indicator because it's moved into the reservoir.

I was going to say you won't have to get different fittings but I don't know if the early cars are different from the late cars?

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought adapters from bubble to flare and then used pre-flared line north of the tee and prop valve. Far easier than making additional flares on the stock lines IMO.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably reflare the stock lines and screw them into a tee instead of messing with adapters. I did it that way years ago when I installed my Wilwood.

My lines should work on the LS1 master, I am pretty sure mine is late '84 production which matches the Metric bubble flare used on later cars. My basis for thinking this is that my rear brake flex line just screwed right into my late 4thgen 3-channel rear brake hardlines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: