Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So am i just not doing this right?....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: So am i just not doing this right?.... Reply with quote

Paul youre gonna love this lol

.......so about those roller rockers...... I adjusted the valves with the motor running warm, loosened each until it clacked around, tightened it until it stopped, set my allen, backed the nut against the allen then tightened both at the same time....ive read 1/4 turn, from what ive seen no more than 1/2 turn is advised for RR, problem is i cant turn it 1/4 turn, am i just being to gentle with these things?

I ask this because today i had it running fine, valves all adjusted and arms tight, i gave it a good punch onto the freeway and failed to shift at a decent rpm apparently (no tach still) and then it started clacking again.... So should i do this with the motor fully warmed up? I feel absolutely retarded right now because its only like 2 of them thats giving me hell. Luke has me paranoid because according to some people i have a overtorquing issue Rolling Eyes but with that in the back of my head i didnt want to just crank on these things like im trying to break them lol i know theyre not supposed to move after being set, and if the allen is in the right spot it shooooouuullld just bite down on the stud right? My fear is if i crank on it i dont want it to screw with the valve setting, but the allen should stop it from going too far right? Along with provide tension on the nut to prevent it from backing out of course

Moral of this story, im brain fried, STILL low on sleep, and on too much caffiene to organize my thoughts and questions, if you can decipher this and help i would totally appreciate it

91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem I had with mine. After the 6th try, I took them off.

Atleast you got yours out the garage. I couldnt even make mine get out to the street.

20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was doing fine then I got stupid and backed one off evidently by being.too hard on it
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol ill find my write up about it. You dont bring the allen in tight. Turn the hex the quarter turn. Back it off an 1/8 or so. Bring the allen in. Then tighten the 1/8 back up.

Polylocks are amazing if you do it right. Its absolutely rediculous to adjust them on a running engine.

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have a problem with mine.
I did them like Paul said, with hydraulic lifters, turn the nut until there is no play left, then go a quarter turn more, then tighten the polylock against the stud, then turn the nut about an eighth of a turn more to snug the polylock.

Mine never came loose in a couple thousand miles even with bouncing off of the 6200 RPM rev limit a few times. Burnout

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh I read your write up, evindently a lack of sleep can really do you in because the way I interpreted it was that you et to 0, tighten the allen against the nut, like Allen goes right nut goes left then do 1/4 turn.... So apparently that answers the question, Yup did it wrong lol now when I sinch down the nut the proper way is there going to be a good amount of resistance? Basically I wanna know if when I back off the allen I can just crank on it to be sure its snug and not going anywhere because to be honest the thought crossed my mind once or twice to loctite the damn things lol
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue loctite did not hold mine down.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good cuz I've got red Twisted Evil definitely gonna adjust them properly and avoid loctite lol
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 100k miles on my polylocks, never had to redo them. Follow Paul's instructions, you'll be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT PUT LOC-TITE ON YOUR ROCKER NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jebus.

Yes there should be resistance and it should get good and snug. If you're veins are popping in your arm you're about 10 times too much force. If you over tighten they will break. Maybe not today, they'll be stressed and you'll be buying another package cause you just need one or two that you broke.

We're only talking a pressure of like 20-30 ftlbs.

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double

Last edited by BluFbdy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No loctite here Paul, it was a joke lol I went thru then today and tightened them up and its much better, only thing I can do to see if I did it right lol I have found that injector noise, tapping rockers and minor exhaust leaks can all be confused for eachother while driving, I found the loose arms and decided to tighten up my header flanges which reduced quite a bit of the confusion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: