Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

car wont start
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have oil pressure?? I have a bad feeling.. if the distributor didnt go all the way down, it wont engage the oil pump. Oil pump shaft has a blade that engages the bottom of the distributor. If it isnt all the way in, it'll run, but have no oil pressure.. and you'd loose your bearings...
Take a look and make sure the flange is against the intake.. and that there is oil pressure. I've got my fingers crossed for you.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there was oil pressure. and no i didnt do that with the ecm. i didnt know bout that. il ltry it again tomorrow. my friend came over and said it sounds like a lifter. are those hard to replace? the way my luck has been lately im bettin it is. Sad but on a good note. its not doing that chuggin thing it was doin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Do you have oil pressure?? I have a bad feeling.. if the distributor didnt go all the way down, it wont engage the oil pump. Oil pump shaft has a blade that engages the bottom of the distributor. If it isnt all the way in, it'll run, but have no oil pressure.. and you'd loose your bearings...
Take a look and make sure the flange is against the intake.. and that there is oil pressure. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Shocked
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you did was the dizzy right? If so, there shouldn't be anything tapping. Look for a tan wire with a brown stripe by your heater box/passenger side firewall. It's a single wire with connector. Unplug that, and set timing. And then see what happens.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i did was change out the distr. other then the new wires and what not the other day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcamaro wrote:
all i did was change out the distr. other then the new wires and what not the other day.

Was working on Mikes car. Fired it up this last time. Heard it ticky/tappy sound..... Experiance told us it sounded like, but for sure wasn't a rocker. One of the wires on the dist was up 1/2" and arcing to the terminal causing the sound. Check that stuff too Wavey
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill check the wires tomorrow. hopefully thats all it is. something simple.
Glenn91L98GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcamaro wrote:
yeah there was oil pressure. and no i didnt do that with the ecm. i didnt know bout that. il ltry it again tomorrow. my friend came over and said it sounds like a lifter. are those hard to replace? the way my luck has been lately im bettin it is. Sad but on a good note. its not doing that chuggin thing it was doin.

If the friend is not familiar with 3rd Gen TPI cars, the fuel injectors often can sound like tapping to those "un-familiar". You don't state your year, but I will assume it's an 87+ model...Hydraulic Rollers don't tend to go bad like flat tappet.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 91. what would make the injector do that knockin sound?
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tapping is just the sound that they make. Glenn was saying that this is normal but for someone not used to it they may think that it is valvetrain noise.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it get louder the more gas i give it? and it seemed like it lost power when the noise started.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont hear the injectors wokrin from inside the car. I couldn't hear them with the hood closed. If it's a KNOCKing sound and you lose power, it's ignition or internal engine.

Since you didn't set the timing properly, start there. Impropper timing is not a good thing.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah imma do that tomorrow. i was gonna today but i didnt feel like messin with it anymore.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drove it to work today and it ran perfect. i didnt hear the knock at all. till i was bout 5 mins from home. then it started again. tomorrow im gonna check the timing again the proper way. which wires do i need to unhook to do it the right way? sorry for all the questions, im not skilled at this sort of thing. you guys have been a great help with all this.
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcamaro wrote:
i drove it to work today and it ran perfect. i didnt hear the knock at all. till i was bout 5 mins from home. then it started again. ...

Check your oil, might be low if it's doing this...

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
All you did was the dizzy right? If so, there shouldn't be anything tapping. Look for a tan wire with a black stripe by your heater box/passenger side firewall. It's a single wire with connector. Unplug that, and set timing. And then see what happens.

Sometimes it's easier to do if the car is warmed up first.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i checked the oil and its right on target. i decided to take it to a shop tonight and let them check it over. when i started it this morning it was knockin. it didnt matter cuz i got a ride from a friend. when i started it to take it to the shop it didnt knock the whole way there. they are gonna look it over tomorrow and see whats up.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i talked to the guy at the shop today and he said they took the vavle cover off and that it looked like one of the cylinders or something wasnt getting the proper oil. not sure though cuz im no car guru lol. he said it would be best to just swap motors. he said since they dont make 305s anymore that a rebuilt one would cost bout 2400 including install. i damn near started laffin. i have a few friends on the lookout for a motor for me. one guy might have a line of a 350. its an older 350 though. if i got that motor would i be able to keep the tpi setup? it not, do i need to get a new ecm for a carb motor? if i cant find a motor for it i might have to trade in the car. Sad
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get another opinion, this guy sounds like a rip off. You really can't have something terminal come and go. You said it would be fine and then start making noise.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats kinda what i was thinkin also. im just lookin at the worst case possible so that if its not as bad as they said i will feel better. lol im gonna take it to my friend on friday whos a engine builder/car restorer. hopefully he can give me some good news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: