Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LS1 Swap Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: LS1 Swap Thread Reply with quote

It's happening. I purchased an '02 LS1/T56 combo with 89k miles today. It will be at my house sometime in December.

I already have Spohn engine and transmission swap mounts.

I have a new exhaust, a brand new stainless steel Magnaflow catback which will be attached by magic to the factory '02 Camaro exhaust manifolds.

I will be going with a full AutoMeter gauge setup.

The ECU will be tuned by Frost I think, unless someone else has a good mail order tuner to recommend.
I will be re-working the harness myself.

I am open to any advice, well-wishes, or accusations of mental instability.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Vince at Trifecta flash my pcm. He's right up near you. It's not tuned, just a factory flash sans rear o2s, emissions, etc. However, at the last northend gathering Mark mentioned he could flash the factory program at his place. You may poke him and see if he'd do it on the cheap (aka a couple beers?) He's just a few miles from me. Once I get mine up again I'll have Ellis at Speed Secrets in Snohomish street tune mine.

Now that I think about it. I have a part I still need to give Mark...

And the only mental instability I accuse you of is waiting this long. Very Happy

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did Trifecta charge for removing the emissions and VATS?

I might go for that instead of a full tune if it's cheaper than Frost's $150 charge. A stock tune would be fine for me.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more than that. Laughing But that's why if I had to do it over I'd give Mark (Mangus) a call/PM/email to see if he could see bench flash the pcm for you.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal... congrats! I don't have much more than good wishes for you at this point other than LS envy Wink

Please keep us up to date on progress.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sweeeeeet! Thumbs up

The two mail order tuners that are known to do good work is Frost and Texas Speed. I had Texas Speed fix my 6.0L Camaro tune and they did a very good job. All codes went away, car drove great, and the tune didn't slowly "drift" to a rich condition any more. The other advantage to Texas Speed is they will e-mail the tune file same day if you have your own copy of HP Tuner (flash it yourself). And they'll update the tune for a year if you're not satisfied. Also, Texas Speed doesn't lock the file so you can get in and change anything you want in the future. I don't know whether or not Frost locks the file, but if it is "tuner locked" then nobody else is ever getting in that PCM again.

Are you doing a cam swap while the engine is out? LS1 really responds to a good cam. Huge power difference in that one mod and you can find slightly used cams any day for $250. Being an '02 engine it probably already has the LS6 intake sitting on it. A set of 42-lb LS3 injectors and it will be perfect. SLP sells new LS3 manifold take-offs on ebay for about $300. You can keep the injectors and fuel rail, and then sell the LS3 manifold for about $250 at LS1tech (seriously) + whatever you can get for LS1 injectors. You'll have to change the injector connector on harness but advantage is you'll have larger injectors with quicker response times and easier to tune for good idle quality.

Look at me... I'm already spending your money! Laughing
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Oh, sweeeeeet! Thumbs up

The two mail order tuners that are known to do good work is Frost and Texas Speed. I had Texas Speed fix my 6.0L Camaro tune and they did a very good job. All codes went away, car drove great, and the tune didn't slowly "drift" to a rich condition any more. The other advantage to Texas Speed is they will e-mail the tune file same day if you have your own copy of HP Tuner (flash it yourself). And they'll update the tune for a year if you're not satisfied. Also, Texas Speed doesn't lock the file so you can get in and change anything you want in the future. I don't know whether or not Frost locks the file, but if it is "tuner locked" then nobody else is ever getting in that PCM again.

Are you doing a cam swap while the engine is out? LS1 really responds to a good cam. Huge power difference in that one mod and you can find slightly used cams any day for $250. Being an '02 engine it probably already has the LS6 intake sitting on it. A set of 42-lb LS3 injectors and it will be perfect. SLP sells new LS3 manifold take-offs on ebay for about $300. You can keep the injectors and fuel rail, and then sell the LS3 manifold for about $250 at LS1tech (seriously) + whatever you can get for LS1 injectors. You'll have to change the injector connector on harness but advantage is you'll have larger injectors with quicker response times and easier to tune for good idle quality.

Look at me... I'm already spending your money! Laughing

Yeah, I've heard good things about Frost. I'm not planning on buying HPTuners so that benefit of Texas Speed's tuning is really moot. If I had HPT, I would just do everything I need to do by myself. Razz I'm liking Frost's $150 price a lot. Frost doesn't lock his tunes either.

No cam swap this time around, I want completely smooth and perfect factory driveability and mileage. I've had a 320WHP/370WTQ smallblock motor in my Camaro for a while now and even that really is enough power for me on the street. I should be able to match that HP with an LS1 and give up some low-end torque. I would expect about 320/320 out of the LS1. If I get the itch for speed in the future it is easy enough to add a cam and a tune for 50-80 more HP, but that's not really a road I want to go down right now. Project creep is something you are intimately familiar with I am sure, and I prefer to finish my projects in less than a decade. Laughing

I am actually shooting to get this running and driving by the end of January. Burnout

I priced out a set of AutoMeter Sport Comp gauges today and I am ready to pull the trigger on those after I get back from vacation in the latter half of December. I am thinking that should be the last big expense, or am I forgetting something important? Very Happy

Last edited by Alphius on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
or am I forgetting something important?

Fuel. Wink
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and easy. -6AN adapters on my stock TPI fuel lines to Corvette filter/regulator to rails. Braided line on all of it.

I already have the fuel pump and wiring taken care of.

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you did a Walbro and relay swap when you did the HSR, eh?
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I ditched the Quadrajet and dealer-installed helper pump I've had a 14 gauge wire harness off of a relay to a Walbro 255 in a later TPI thirdgen baffled tank. I'm set on the tank and pump. Wink

The one thing I still have to decide on is whether I want to run the Vette filter back near the tank or in the engine bay. Both approaches have their pros and cons. It would be easier and cheaper but more cluttered to run the filter in the engine bay. More expensive but a much cleaner install to run it back by the tank. I have yet to do the full cost analysis/planning for each setup but I have time to work on that.

My inclination to be doing things the right way whenever possible is leaning me towards putting the filter back by the tank and only running the single line up to the engine bay.

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just run an aftermarket regulator? Does the C5 unit have some magic beans that makes it necessary?
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cheaper than an aftermarket regulator, and it's a filter too. Very Happy
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-33737-Complete-In-Line-Filter/dp/B000C9UJUU

Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3" MagnaFlow catback came today.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice. Magnaflow delivers some of the best exhaust noise with LS1 of any exhaust. You're going to like that!
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the MagnaFlow sound on any engine I've heard it on. My dad's '99 Z28 had a fourthgen MagnaFlow catback on it when he got it as well, with stock cats still, and it sounded good, so I think I will be happy with this one for sure. Very Happy

My 350 was breathing through a MagnaFlow as well, but that doesn't count as a good comparison since it was a 9-inch case muffler with x-pipe and axle dumps. This one will be way quieter, which is what I am shooting for. I want a car I can daily drive without worries or aggravation.

jchaussee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you doing with old exhaust Twisted Evil
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling it. Are you interested? PM me with an offer. I have shorty headers and 2.5" true dual exhaust with Remflex gaskets for all of it. I have pics too.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my motor mounts today. Already have the tranny mount, but no pictures.

jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: