Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wait...GTAs aren't Trans Ams?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d00012

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Wait...GTAs aren't Trans Ams? Reply with quote

A nice little message from someone on YouTube Laughing

Erm Nice of you to respond to something from 3months ago, Had to remember why the f**k was someone telling me to look up GTA Badging.
-
Dude, the GTA is NOT a Trans Am. Different f***ing package. I'm an expert on Camaros/Firebirds. Especially for the 3rd Generation.

In 1988 There were the following packages,

1. Sport Coupe Firebird (base model) This came with either the 2.8L V6 MFI or the 5.0L 305 TBI

2. Firebird Formula (2nd Trim Level) This came with with 5.0L 305 TBI or the 5.0L 305 TPI

3. Firebird Trans Am (3rd Trim Level) This came with the 5.0L 305 TBI or the 5.0L 305TPI, a few were offered with the 5.7L 350 TPI with hardtop only(not counting C&C ttop conversions)

4. Firebird GTA (4th trim level) This came with the 5.0L 305TPI or the more powerful 5.7L 350 TPI
------------
Bro use common sense. What does Trans Am Stand for... Its the Trans Am Racing Series, Pontiac named the car's trim level after the racing league. Now look at GTA? Lets spell it out for you.. Gran Turismo Americano. Which is ANOTHER Racing Series that Pontiac wanted their car to be named after. They are 2 different racing leagues the cars were named after in trim levels.

You're only argument is "look at the Badging" Take note, in 1988 the Camaro trim levels were only as follows, Sport Coupe, RS, IrocZ. YET ALL THE IROCZs were Badged as a Z28 IrocZ on the Dashboard. You can blame that on GM For wanting to limit costs.

And dude don't even get me started on how wrong you actually are about your bird. for one thing, u claim it has a 350TBI Right? You do realize TBI is Throttle Body Injection right? There never was a 350TBI in any GM Sport, compact or anything. What to know why? It was a truck motor. They used the 350TBI Strictly as a GM truck motor. If your car was a TBI motor then it is a 305TBI, meaning you were driving with an anvil under the hood.

How about you do some research before you try and act like an idiot in front of the whole class. Be glad you private msg'd me because it would've been alot funner to teach you on your video itself
----
ATM my IrocZ is under the knife getting a new Nose, Fiberglass SS Hood, Set of OEM(Original Equipment from Manufacturer) Hatch Louvers, Holley Stealth Ram(Forced air intake Tunnel Ram), Cam, AFR 195 Eliminator Heads, Dyno Don Custom Headers/ypipe, QTP Electric Cutout, Straight pipe to Magnaflow Catback. Custom Tune, shift kit, stall, black z06 rims and more.

~Sean
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the 'expert'. Clueless.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The "expert" is wrong on so many of his points, but I'll just pick on one: In '88 there were only two Camaro trim levels; Sport Coupe and IROC-Z. There was no RS in '88. The RS replaced the Sport Coupe as the base package in '89. I could pick on his grammer as well: "funner"? Really?!?! Rolling Eyes
d00012

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just keeps getting better! He's really made my day much better! Laughing

unless you did the 350tbi swap in yourself (which i highly doubt), you have no merit in knowing whether or not it was a 350 or 305. they are identical to the naked eye unless you pulled the block and looked at the stamp #s or pulled a head and measured the bore on the cylinder walls. My bet is that bird was a 305. especially considering you said you paid 300$ for the car.
-
Considering i run a successful statewide club of over 200 3rd gens with tons of meets/events/sponsored car shows/cruises, and pretty much know anything about 3rd gens and their packages yes i am an expert, compared to you.
-------

And Yes ofcourse i tell you what i'm doing, hell you need inspiration somewhere, but then you would need the know how and if you love to make facts with emblems, might as well slap on a vtec badge and how about a 454 badge. heyy i know you should put on a turbo badge and there, you got your power!
-
And unlike you saying all of that while miraculously talking out your ass, my build is legit.
d00012

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't he stop?! I thought my use of resources would shut him up. But apparently, he's one of THOSE people Laughing

ok, so count in the small # of 9C1 Caprices which was the police pursuit package, the likelyhood that the motor came out of a truck is more plausable then an 9C1, if anything it would be more of a shot that you could find an lt1 caprice if i'm not mistaken. I will admit i do not like Caprices so yes i do overlook them, they are just not appealing to me enough that i would research them. Granted they were definitely fast w/ the lt1, friend of mine used to race one back in the day.
-
Tbh, you just told yourself off on how i was right " And in '88, for the GTA, it was MARKETED as a separate Firebird trim." That my good friend is fact, Pontiac decided on what their trim levels were i'm afraid. the fact of the matter is i was arguing the trim packages, and you just said it yourself. Nontheless, A GTA Did not have to be a Trans Am, reason they were kept as their own trim level up through the rest of the 3rd generation. I know people with Firebird GTAs that were not Trans Ams. you must be confused considering it is not a hidden fact you can combine trim levels, just for example i will rise one of my favorite cars the 67 rs/ss camaro.

we're just arguing in circles around the fact that my original statement was true, especially for the year car we were arguing over for that matter. Each trim package is an advancement from the previous so it is not uncommon for the higher trim package to have those of a lower package plus more. A GTA Does not have to be a trans am it was still its own package.[/i]

The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, no youtube link so we can all pile on?!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
d00012

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/nA0R2Rg5RVk

Those are private messages. Just look for slasher7555's comments. Very Happy
turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Considering i run a successful statewide club of over 200 3rd gens with tons of meets/events/sponsored car shows/cruises, and pretty much know anything about 3rd gens and their packages yes i am an expert, compared to you."

Found the club he belongs to: www.nythirdgen.com.

And if you want to want to make his life a living hell, here's his info... "Welcome, i'm sean. We have quite an extensive group of upstate members growing. I'm from Schenectady myself. I work over at Harbor Freight Tools in Albany and i have an 88 irocz" Laughing

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapping on a bunch of aftermarket parts is not "under the knife" in my book.

Infact, it sounds like he just named off a bunch of the most popular aftermarket parts. If hes got that kinda cash, why doesnt he get some custom parts made.

Man it was nice to be young, dumb, and have extra cash to throw at a project car.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I think the roadmaster had a 5.7 tbi. Its the caprice's "brother".
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TBI 350 was the L05. It came in a lot of stuff, mostly trucks, but also the Roadmaster, Caprice Wagon, and it was an option for the Caddy Brougham.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He overlooked the SSA firebird lol I've worked on chris's myself lol hes a douchey newyorker that's all you can really get him by cross cross referencing VIN and rpo codes lol AND he works at harbor freight so wtf would he know?

Super awesome Wikipedia skills BTW I wish I could be cool enough to copy and paste a publicly edited web page Thumbs up

turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's remember not all New Yorkers are douchebags...he's just one...and we have them here in the great Northwest too. Wink

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should tell him I have an '86 T/A with a roller block 305. Bet he'd say I didn't know what I was talking about. Rolling Eyes Yeah, it's not the stock motor. Wink
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSFreak wrote:
I should tell him I have an '86 T/A with a roller block 305. Bet he'd say I didn't know what I was talking about. Rolling Eyes Yeah, it's not the stock motor. Wink

Pffft. You can't take the stock motor out of a vehicle.... Can you? Shocked

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In '88 it's actually really easy to tell if it's a 305 or 350. The full roller motors with 1 piece rear main are stamped the displacement in litres on the bellhousing wall of the engine on the drivers side, where the casting number is.

It will say 5.0L or 5.7L.

I bought a clutch fork for a 1987 Camaro with a 5.7L. Parts guys are never wrong, right?

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that on my new motor. 5.7L cast in the block just above the bell on the driver side.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know something, and there's enough evidence to prove its truth, It hardly seems worth arguing on the internet about it to some prole who thinks he has all the answers.

my humble $.02
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup yup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91RSVert wrote:
btw, I think the roadmaster had a 5.7 tbi. Its the caprice's "brother".

The Roadmaster wagon actually had an LT1! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: