Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone have this problem?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: anyone have this problem? Reply with quote

I noticed the other day that when im driving my car, when i hit about 3000 rpms or so it feels like its not gettin enough gas. When i push the gas pedal it doesnt do it anymore. I was told it could be my tranny, fuel pump, or a intake leak. This is my first tpi motor so i have no idea where to even start lookin. I just had the fuel filter changed a few weels ago so i know its not that (unless they put a bad one in). If anyone has any ideas what it might be, the help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Corey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it kind of feel like a miss and it's really erradic... sometimes you can't even feel it... but it's like its cuttin out off and on randomly there... then when you speed up a little it goes away?

My 700R4 did that..... changing trans/converters cured it. Just my experiance with a similar symptom.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clogged cat can also make it feel like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
A clogged cat can also make it feel like that.
I'm with stupid
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats what it feels like. i hope its not the tranny. lol is there anyway to check if its the cat without removing it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes does it feel like it jumps into gear?

If so, it is probably the TC. I had the same problem. Also, for it to properly shift I had to let off the throttle. WOT in overdrive I could redline it if I didnt let up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt jump into gear. i just feels like its starvin for fuel at about 3000 rpms or so.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcamaro wrote:
it doesnt jump into gear. i just feels like its starvin for fuel at about 3000 rpms or so.

Hrmm... Check the alternator fluid.

Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:
kidcamaro wrote:

WHOA!!
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:
kidcamaro wrote:

No, no, no!! The alternator fluid won't have ANYthing to do with this!! Now, the muffler bearings might though!

Replacements here:
http://www.kalecoauto.com/general.htm

Good luck!

kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha very funny. like im gonna fall for that a 4th time. Very Happy but anyways, im thinkin it the tranny now. been actin wierd today. anyone have an idea how much a rebuilt one costs or how much it is to get one rebuilt?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get cheapie rebuilds for under $1000.... most shops will rebuild yours with labor for about $1700....or you can buy a Pro Built for about $1500 (Bullet proof 700r4) but you need to buy a converter. Pro Built sells continental converters. Get one.

You'd be happy as a clam.

Or you go cheap and buy a TH350 with a 9" tailshaft with converter for around $600. B&M Megashifter for $150. B&M TH350 Conversion Kit for $120.

And use the rest of the money to pay for gas now that you don't have overdrive! Laughing
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn. looks like imma be puttin in some overtime i guess.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i took the tranny to a shop today and they said its only gonna last a few more months. Sad its a 1500 rebuild but i dont have the money right now. what would be a good choice, the th 350 or the 400? i like overdrive but i dunno when ill be able to get the 1500 to get the other on rebuilt. does anyone know where i might find a good used one?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the used... but I have the TH350 and don't plan on it breaking ANYtime soon. They used them behind bigblocks even. TH400 is stronger, but takes a few more HP to drive it.

Not sure the mounting in TH400's, but the B&M kit to fit in our cars says it's for TH350.
KH29ROCKS3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the entire post here and I have to disagree with the bad trans diagnosis. If the trans were shittin the bed, you would get an rpm increase with no speed increase. Up till 3000 rpm, does the trans feel like it's shifting correctly? Also you did not specify how many miles and condition of the fluid. Last time the trans was serviced? Any torque converter shutter? It's been my experience with tranny shops that they will try to sell you a tranny regardless..........that's there bank. I've encountered this many times. Is your car a MAF or MAP car? Is your MIL on? If the cat is plugged, it would run crappy all the time, possibly not even start if it's bad enough. Possibly a bad spot in the TPS, be a good idea to do a sweep test on it. You need a lab scope for that though. Have you checked your fuel pressure at idle and cruise? Also, does it bleed off after shutting the car down? I know this may sound silly, but did you look at your airfilter? If your car has a MAF, try unplugging it, then go drive it. See how it performs. Your MIL will turn on, but that's okay. Is the idle erratic at all? Has the prom been messed with at all? There is a ton of things you can check and do before dumping a bunch of $$ into a trans you might not need to.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KH29ROCKS3 wrote:
I've read the entire post here and I have to disagree with the bad trans diagnosis. If the trans were shittin the bed, you would get an rpm increase with no speed increase. Up till 3000 rpm, does the trans feel like it's shifting correctly? Also you did not specify how many miles and condition of the fluid.

My 700R4 had 130k on it. Fluid looked perfect, and it got regular services. Also shifted great. Just had that vibration at X rpm.

Could have been trans or converter.... I had another 700R4/converter that was rebuilt that I put in anyway.
KH29ROCKS3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying it can't be his trans, just suggesting that he funnel it down to that rather than spending the $$ right out of the gate. There are oodles of things that could be causing his problem that cost a lot less than a new trans. This was my experience with my TPI car and I had a lot of other problems including the ECM, which really kicked my butt for quite a while. Also, if replacing any sensors..........stick with OEM, not the cheapest at schucks. I fought a terrible lean condition because of a "new" O2 sensor I bought there. Scanner said my fuel trims were dead on balls, but the 5 gas said I was very lean, about 16.8 to 1 with very high HC levels. Put an OEM O2 sensor in there and problem was fixed. I took it back and Schucks said it was the correct one for my car. It was either skewed or it was from a manufacturer that was making them for a wide varity of applications. This is just a wordy example of why to use OEM parts with these cars.............sorry for getting off point.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno when the tranny was serviced last. the car has about 190000 miles on it. it runs great other then this problem. air filter is fine, i put k&n's in about6 months ago. when the shop took it for a test drive they said it sounded like a engine leak. the only problem is i dont know where to start. this is the first fuel injected motor i have ever had. i might take it to my friend who is good with cars and see if he has time to help me check some stuff out. what would i need to do to put a th 350 or a 400 in my car instead of a 700r4?
KH29ROCKS3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to do is start funnelling down to the root cause by troubleshooting. If you have access to a smoke machine, that would tell you if you have a vacuum leak very quick and easy. Also, my advise to you is lose the K&N and remain with the stock airfilter box. The oil you use on them contaminates the MAF if that's what you have. Also check all your connections on the snorkel..........from the air filter to the throttle plate. Especially at every clamp after the MAF. A leak results in false air, meaning unmetered air and can produce a runability problem. Also, is toyr dash digital or guages? If it's guages, you should be okay wo switch trannys, not sure how the speed sensor is configured on a guage dash, you still might get a MIL. If it's digital, you're pretty much screwed to having to stay with your 700R4. I preffer that trans personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: