Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air bags?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Air bags? Reply with quote

So the wife wants to take up the skiing. So I thought I should pop in and ask the expert where, when, and what.

Where is a good place to get lessons? White pass has a deal that looks good, but what do I know about such things. They want 125 per person for three lessons including equipment rental and lift passes. Are there better deals out there? I could look it up myself, but that gets tough when you don't even know the names of the ski areas.

When is a good time? Early in the season, late in the season, does it even really matter?

What should I bring to the table? Warm clothes, I get that. Even a guy like me has that figured out, but do they make skis with air bags? Tree repellant? I'd hate to go out like Sonny Bono. Would I look like too much of a dork if I wrapped myself up in bubble wrap, or is that standard issue apparel for a rookie?

signed;

Bunny slope my butt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are asking me if your wife needs airbags?

Real answer. Go where the deal is. Equipment rentals and lesson costs add up quick, if you can get a good deal take it. Where you go to start isn't such a big deal, it isn't like the terrain matters, the beginner hills are just that. You might want to find a place with a lift on the beginner slopes, rope tows suck.

Other than that, good gear will make it more fun. Nothing will ruin leaning to ski faster than being cold and wet. Good water proof pants/cloths make the difference. Layer up, and enjoy. You will actually need less warm clothes than you think, skiing is a pretty active sport, what you think you need to wear in the cold is probably too much and you will overheat. What you really want is probably just some good thermals, and then a gore-tex outer layer.

Bubble wrap is only needed if you want to look like the kid from a christmas story.

Snow is usually best in the PNW later in the season, Feb/March time. Again, on the bunny slope, not such a big deal. Pick a day with no wind and when it isn't really dumping the snow.

--The Lama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Dear Lama All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: