Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You know, I never started a project thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a fusible link right at the battery to protect against shorts between the battery and wherever the next fuse is. This should be a link not a fuse. Basically a very slow blow fuse.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Thanks! Smile That makes me feel better I'm not giving up functionality.

What did you do for the oil pressure sender? I'm seeing different stories on whether or not the LS1 oil pressure sender gives good readings on stock 3rd gen gauge. And was there a year when the gauge technology changed so that it does integrate better with LS1 PCM? I'm getting the idea Firebird had updated gauges before Camaro, but I'm not sure what it entails.

I have a dead gauge because my factory sensor took a dump well before I did the swap and I had an a pillar pod with autometer gauge/sensor. I haven't bothered to fix the factory gauge because I'm toying with an entire cluster swap. I doubt it would be difficult to find an adapter to go from the metric china wall fitting to a 1/4"x18 thread (instead of the 1/8 that autometer senders are).

The gauge update was I think '98? It was a digital odo/info reader.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
There should be a fusible link right at the battery to protect against shorts between the battery and wherever the next fuse is. This should be a link not a fuse. Basically a very slow blow fuse.

I'm with stupid

Only unprotected part of the system is the starter relay. Everything else is on the South side as it were.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can make better use of the ignition switch to simplify things. What I really wish I had were better wiring schematics for my car. What I have is insufficient.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be beneficial to check out alldata. I used that like the bible for my swap but I lost the login/pw awhile ago.

Or an actual GM service manual. I have one for my '91 bird and an '85 camaro but nothing else.

aka this

Quote:
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at LS1 Camaro electrical. Putting the fuses in front of relays is consistent with OE design.

I found a power distribution and fuse block schematic for '87 Camaro. Close enough for now. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/electronics/609671-wiring-diagrams.html
It looks like C100 A4 (red) powers all the key switch devices, along with some other things. I've removed some items from the car that are now available in key switch RUN & START mode:

- Ignition coil, C100 F4 (pink wire). Not sure what current this is rated for. I think C100 A4 is going to be the limiting factor though.
- Injector 1 and injector 2, 10A fuse each
- Engine CNL, 10A fuse. Used for electronic spark control module and emissions devices.

I could use any of these for switched power.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
The gauge update was I think '98? It was a digital odo/info reader.

In Camaros the gauge update was on all 97+ cars.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the day off today so I took some time to look through 2000 Camaro power distribution and created a simplified version for myself to use. I've highlighted in red text the fuses that are used in the LS1 swap.
  • "PCM Batt" fuse is connected to battery
  • "PCM IGN" fuse is connected to key switch and is active in RUN and START key switch positions
  • Everything else is powered by a relay that is active in RUN and START key switch positions, and that relay is protected by a 50A maxi-fuse

I'm going to rethink the underhood electrical center for my swap.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This emulates the 4th gen wiring. I don't know if I've made this easier or completely botched it up, but this is the plan at the moment. Laughing

Last edited by QwkTrip on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you want the injector power to come on with key power only?

I was thinking the same way as #2 for my new swap, but thought I'd rather have a main relay control all that excess power to the engine sensors/actuators.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what it does. Injectors are on the buss bar that is powered by the relay that comes on with key switch RUN and START. Do you see something different?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Just have snow on the brain and can't think today :O)

Do it which ever way is easiest. They both seem to accomplish the same thing.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the only one with fuzzy brain. I thought you were iansane when I replied.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier I posted that the exhaust Y-pipe didn't align properly with the headers. It was "user malfunction". I had the pipe twisted into the wrong position. I tried again tonight and it fits like a glove! And this time a little anti-sieze inside the slip fit made the job easier. Laughing

IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I'm not sure you can buy anything except straight for LS engine. That's why I'm happy the MSD boots are designed to be bent and take a set wherever you put them.

This is IROCDAVE's brother, Sticks n Stones is the name I use online. I've got a 402ci LS2 with LS3 heads in my 2005 GTO and have been down the plug wire debacle route myself. Trust me when I say not to EVER use the junk MSD wires! They "work" barely on LS1 fbodies but give up the ghost on LS2/3 setups that expose there horrible build quality and cheap materials. GM stock wires are better.

I could link you to literally dozens of MSD plug wire horror stories on ls1gto.com and ls1tech.com but you can find them for yourself if you don't believe me. Want proof? Go measure the ohms on those new wires and see for yourself. I FINALLY found a good wire to use that will never fall apart and have OEM build quality: Fire Core50 wires sold by Gforce1320 and others. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329768&highlight=wires

Not a single person has complained about them, even the guys running huge hp turbo engines or guys with test mule engines that get there plugs wires popped off a few times every day. They definitely aren't the prettiest or shiniest wires out there, but the angles clear any lsx header and you will never wonder if your ignition issue is in your coils, plugs, ecm, wiring harness, or is simply yet another chapter in MSD's sorry plug wire history...

Here's a vid (before the stroker build, when I did the heads/cam):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isTDbG93YjU

no plug wire view, but just a shot of my car as it sits now. Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3f0JqpRAQ
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it. Smile

The GTO looks nice but subtle. I'll bet all kinds of people get lured into the trap.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro's GTO looks stealthy, but doesnt sound stealthy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDq0o0Ejzps&feature=autoplay&list=UUJNY8a8cSZ9yg5IfyC3izqw&lf=plcp&playnext=1

He brought it over to my house after picking it up from Ellis.
Someone would have to be really stupid to try and take that thing from a roll. 30mph - 90mph takes a couple of seconds while leaving two big ass black stripes on the asphalt.

After driving it a couple of times, all I can say it is stupid fast. Should be good for low 11's on street tires and with the 200 shot of nitrous should be good for low 10's on slicks.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the taylor 10.4s since my swap. Now that I think about it, it's probably time for a change...

Quote:
Sticks_n_Stones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
I've been using the taylor 10.4s since my swap. Now that I think about it, it's probably time for a change...

Taylor's have always been a great wire for the various cars that IROCdave and I have built and I was leaning towards them when I found the Fire Core50 wires: I didn't like Taylor's boots which is why I went with MSD the first time.

Thanks for the compliments on my car. I do plan on quieting it down so I can get some stealth back. It's REALLY REALLY hard to get guys to race me when they hear my car. === what's the fun of having a street terror car if you can't stomp random wannabe fast n furious types??? lol
Sticks_n_Stones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

itsglobalbackerz wrote:
I hope i can get some information on this topic .... Laughing Surprised Smile Rolling Eyes Wink Crying or Very sad Shocked Smile

Yeah I get your point, sorry for the thread jack quicktrip! My brother has been talking about you and your build writeups for a year plus now. hell, he is finally ready to do a LSx swap himself into his IROC---- Between you showing how it's done and him seeing how easy it was for me to get impressive power out of a mid level build with lots of OEM parts I think he is ready to pull the trigger on his own conversion.

Keep up the well written, well researched, and anal retentive attention to detail equipped threads! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 4 of 58

Jump to: