Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You know, I never started a project thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An outside suspect for oil out of the bell on an LS is the oil pressure sender. Didn't you have problems with that area before?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the rear seal adapter.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was getting a leak from the oil sender last year and it was tightened up. I should check it again, a lot easier than removing a transmission.

By the way this site sucks to use on a smartphone.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobucket just blocked all my pictures for viewing until I pay a large annual fee. Screw them.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Photobucket just blocked all my pictures for viewing until I pay a large annual fee. Screw them.

Google photos. Done deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been updating here in real time. Here's a whole bunch of stuff all at once.....

Edit: Just go to this link

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/626607-what-ever-happened-qwktrips.html#post6149736

Last edited by QwkTrip on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:15 pm; edited 5 times in total
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh.... this site can't handle the embedding code from Google. I altered it so you can at least click on the links.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of the underside of the car. Sorry, but it is easier and more effective to just give you this link to thirdgen.org where all the pictures show up.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/626607-what-ever-happened-qwktrips.html#post6149848
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hit today by a Mercedes. Rear-ended on the driver side.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap duder. How bad is it? Our cars tend to not fair well with insurance companies after being rear-ended.

15 years of building, and you haven't even been driving the thing a year now. That really sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I am going to be sick........... please tell me your fixing it no matter what.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a hard hit; definitely could have been worse. Crunched up the driver side corner of the car and did some funky things to the rear quarter as it was pushed forward.

The damage exceeds the blue book value. Now I have to go through antics to prove it is worth more than blue book and worth fixing. I have scheduled a certified appraisal for next week.

The car will be fixed regardless. Heck, I spent more on the chassis and cage this spring than this repair will cost.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance approved the entire repair so that's nice. And I think I found a place to fix it that will do a good job.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! That is good news man.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remember, the dyno curves after my cam swap looked like junk data. N/A engines just don't behave like that. And the engine feels like an under performer to me, so I got some pulls on a different dyno to see what I'm really dealing with.

This was another Mustang dyno but with large 50-some inch drum and just two rollers (not 4). This one I believe.... but I don't like what is it telling me. Turns out the engine lays down at just 5K rpm! Confused Again?!?!? This is deja vu of the first cam!

They were able to make timing and fuel adjustments to move peak power a little bit and gain 40 RWHP, but they said the engine just won't respond at higher rpm (and it should). They want me to double check the cam install.

Bottom curve is baseline and top curve is after some tuning. I guess the good news is if I can ever get this engine sorted out then the car is going to be flippin' fast. Apparently I gained 40 RWHP today alone.

https://goo.gl/photos/EUA5mQjsgTStFSj77
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using MAF or MAP in your setup? I'd like to see if you're pulling a vacuum at 5k. I assume you degreed the cam?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I degree'd the cam but of course I am questioning my own work now. I looked back at the curve with old cam and lo and behold it flatlines at same rpm. Curious piece of info....

It is speed density (MAP)

From the dyno run, with throttle at 100% the MAP readings started at 101 kPa at 2400 rpm, and gradually drop down in a fairly straight line to 98 kPa at 5500 rpm. It then stays at 98 kPA for the rest of the pull out to 6400 rpm.

The coil dwell time is 4.4 ms the entire run. System voltage is 14.0 V. And the injector duty cycle never exceeds 50%.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's got a couple of inches of vacuum over 2500rpm? What exhaust is on it? I'd be interested to see what opening the intake or exhaust has for effect.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring you up to speed, I found more problems with the tune. The guy that worked on the tune last week was really sloppy. He was experimenting with timing but only made changes up to 6000 rpm. After that the timing was still the old values (8 degree less by comparison). I fixed it but haven't driven the car yet. Not sure the error in the timing table above 6K rpm mattered because it appears the engine had already laid over by then anyway.

He also jacked up my fuel maps but I fixed that last night too. He was trying to add fuel in the map, not understanding that the system runs closed loop in WOT and will aim for target AF ratio. Apparently he had already added a truck load of fuel before I told him the way the system works, and he didn't retrace his steps to undo it. Only reason the car ran okay is because the Holley system pulled 14% fuel to cover his mistakes.

What I will give the guy credit for is knowing the engine was running lean. The previous shop had tuned for 12.9 AFR WOT at high rpm. This guy put it at 12.3 AFR, added a lot of timing, and the torque curve ballooned. Sure enough, I read on LS1tech that rectangle port heads prefer to run between 11.8 - 12.3 AFR.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
So it's got a couple of inches of vacuum over 2500rpm? What exhaust is on it? I'd be interested to see what opening the intake or exhaust has for effect.

Exactly. I've been looking at the exhaust too. It is a 3" Y-pipe into a 3.5" exhaust with a straight-thru Stainless Works muffler. I found my paperwork for the exhaust and the internal tube of the muffler is only 3", despite the inlet & outlet being 3.5".

Also seeing that 3.5" pipe has a capability of about 465 Hp before it begins to offer noticeable restriction. I might have to have a new Y-pipe fabricated and install a 4" single on the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 56 of 58

Jump to: