Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You know, I never started a project thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite strut tower brace is still the edelbrock. It's 3 point but has some adjustability. Every car is a little different, and assuming all 3 points will mount level is a little much to ask. Here's an ancient pic of my old one.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has pivots that cannot resist motion in an important direction. With that design the car helps give the STB strength. You want the STB to give the car strength. I would have a brace custom made to my car before I use a brace like that.

Would you install a roll cage with pivots on every end? Or subframe connectors?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the same. I'd build a custom fit stb anyway. The idea is to keep the strut towers in place, not stiffen the car necessarily. I noticed a huge difference in handling/stiffnesswith that on vs off.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
The idea is to keep the strut towers in place, not stiffen the car necessarily

One and the same.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STB works like a sway bar, Jon. It resists an excessive negative camber change by bracing one tower against the opposite tower. The pivot does not change the operation of it at all.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sway bar is a spring. It is supposed to allow relative movement.
A STB is a chassis member. It is supposed to be rigid.

A STB with pivots will fix the length between the two ends but does not constrain the moment about the bolt axis. The only thing that keeps the whole unit from tilting is the strength of the strut towers themselves. The added strength is because both strut towers are working together instead of individually.

The Heidts is a fixed end resisting motion in all directions, including any moment that is placed on the ends of the bars. It results in a more rigid front end and more control of the strut towers.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of the strut tower is a moving point. The tower brace connects two moving points to each other. The brace only works because the two points never move in unison on the same axis.

There will be no movement around the axis of the bolt because the brace is only ever loaded in compression or tension (almost always compression in practice).
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the way it works, Aaron. And that's not the way a strut tower moves. Any STB is better than without. No moving pivots is best - PERIOD. Undeniably true. It comes down to the way forces and moments are controlled by the way a beam is connected at its end.

By the way, ignoring the pivots, the triangulation of the Edelbrock is still flimsy shizzle. Doesn't hold a candle to the raw strength of the Heidts tubing, firewall pad, and fully welded seams. The Edelbrock braces are toothpicks by comparison.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really feels like you're defensive and trying hard to justify your purchase instead of discussion.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT?!?! You're the one that brought it up ding dong. Smack! Laughing
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao...

I'm not going to write too many more words about this issue because this:
QwkTrip wrote:
Any STB is better than without.

...is true. Also, we've progressed to the "nuh-uh" and "but some guy on TGO said" portion of the debate (yes, I saw the post before you edited it, Jon) so it's all downhill from here until Godwin's law is invoked and we find out that Jon was really Hitler all along. Wink

Anyhoo, on with the show... The towers move in three directions during 'spirited' driving: upwards, forwards, and inwards.

You can't do jack shizzle about the upwards. Write it off as part of the overall suspension movement.

Forwards is constricted by the third point of the brace on the cowl. The load there is tension so the size of the bars is not terribly important, just that they're there and that they won't physically break (they won't).

Inwards is obviously the primary concern. As the tower moves inwards the bolt (that you hate so much Smile) is loaded in shear and the bar is loaded in compression, as I mentioned earlier. A bolt has massive strength when loaded in this way, as does a tube.

Assuming the tubing used for the bar is sufficient, if there was enough pressure put on the brace by the tower to deflect the bar to the point that the rotational axis of the bolt became a failure point then the delicate origami flower that is the GM unibody would have already long since failed.

The issue with the bar you are so vehemently defending is that you have a surface weld loaded in shear. Every one of us who welds has seen a weld like that fail because you have a huge amount of leverage against it, and unlike the bolt, you're loading it at an angle where it is not at it's strongest.

I also appreciate that when I Googled 'Heidts brace' all of the links point to their normal, beefy-looking brace with bolts and heim joints that is properly expensive:
http://www.heidts.com/part/cf-371-1982-1992-camaro-3-point-strut-tower-brace/

I had to dig down through their catalog to find the economy-spec thing that Jon ordered. Laughing
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like your boxes to have free pivots at the corners then go for it. I like better results than that. I am very happy the Heidts fit my car because now I don't have to go through the hassle of having something custom made. Thumbs up

And by the way, some guys at thirdgen.org, such as SlickTrackGod, do know their stuff. You and I don't have anything to teach him on some subject matters. And likewise, he isn't going to teach me or you on some subject matters either. Building a network of smart people is what smart people do. Why do you think I hang around you guys? Wink
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Why do you think I hang around you guys? Wink

Are you saying it is not my good looks that keep people around?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's your money.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an unusually warm day today so I ran the engine a bit and then did a very crude cylinder leak down test. Didn't find TDC, just rotated the crank until pressure went up. The reading was 88 psi at a 100 psi input. Air coming out of oil filler cap and throttle body. I might do it again in proper fashion but I am thinking it might be a good idea to pull the heads this winter and get a valve job. Seems the intake valve does leak.

I also bought a cylinder bridge in anticipation of this. If I am sending the heads to a machine shop then I am going to get the compression and quench sorted too.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into this further, it appears 12% is nothing to get excited about. The guide I was looking at set off alarms past 10%, but from a practical standpoint it seems not worth worrying about because any horsepower gains would be small.

Also talked to Texas Speed and they said all their heads are leak tested before shipping and that it is normal to develop leak on the intake side from carbon buildup. They weren't surprised with the leak down test results. They also thought my engine was making pretty good power for a LS3 top end.

So, I guess I will leave the heads on and forget about that. Kind of a relief actually because it is a PIA to get the passenger side off. And that $400 that would have gone into head work can be spent on gears if I want to do that.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also learned that Texas Speed has a poor man's LS7 by sleeving a 5.3L block and using a 4" stroke. It opens up all the choices of LS7 heads.

Dewey.... does that give you any ideas? Wink
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I don't need any help with crazy ideas, I have plenty of them on my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been spending some time learning what turns on an LS engine and getting quotes for a few different ideas. Frankly, the quotes were shocking. Since the time I got my engine it seems the LS platform has gone upscale and gotten quite expensive. Sad to see the hobby go that way.

So I've concluded I'm just keeping what I've got and simply sorting out compression ratio and maybe advancing the cam a few degrees. That's it for the engine. The rest of my attention will go into improving my 60' time because it is cheap and it should give me better results than more horsepower. Not going for a drag suspension, just trying some things to get this tight suspension to hook up better off the line.

Stay tuned....
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mods were you looking into? Just curious...

Getting the 60 down will make the car much more fun on the road also.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 51 of 58

Jump to: