Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Oregon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: East Oregon Reply with quote

I have a job interview in 2 weeks for a job down near Hermiston. I was wondering if anyone here is from or familiar with the area?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to know?
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess just a general impression of the area. It looks like the cost of living is a bit lower and the town is a bit more isolated from laqrger cities than I'm used to, although I lived out in nowhere when I was little. I don't know anything either about Oregon taxes/emissions other than sales tax. I've never lived outside of Washington other than when I was in the Navy, and then I lived on base and didn't have to worry about changing registration or taxes.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon... No sales tax. Income tax and property taxes (if you are planning to buy). Outside of the PDX metro area, and the Rogue valley, there is no emissions.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound bad. I'll eventually buy a house but I want to wait a bit. This should be interesting though. I applied for a job as a locomotive electrician. Passed the exam last week and was invited to interview a couple days ago.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some work with locomotive industry before. When it comes to electrical they truly suck at what they do. Your job should be secure as you will have endless work fixing things.
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I've heard. The questions on the test were right along the lines of what was on the ASVAB when I took it for the Navy. We had a few good techs on my ship but for every one good one there would be 4 or 5... flashlight holders.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get paid well. Good jobs.
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from a long perilous drive from Hermiston for my job interview. At least it was worth it. On my way home the HR manager called and offered me the job. Now I just have to get the truck going and find a place to live down there.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I'm excited to start something new. I'm also glad the Firebird made the drive in one piece. Driving through Olympia was a horrible experience.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Good job!

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the position. Seems like a fun job for electrical guy. Lots of hands on crawling around and fixing stuff kind of position. Plus you work on trains, the ultimate electric hybrid.
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made it sound pretty cool. If I put the effort in to learn and take the tests they have a more advanced electrical technician position. They get paid a bit more but they ultimately decide if a locomotive is good to go, and diagnose what is wrong with them.
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread I saw mention of TGO and 'toothless retarded hicks" so that reminded me that I'm in Hermiston now! Hehe. It's not that bad, it's no Granite Falls, but I saw one guy in a giant SUV plow into the side of another giant SUV that was sitting in the suicide lane waiting to turn. Living in a flea-bag motel until the apartment is ready to move in. Will be living in Kennewick. Not an ideal tax situation but my wife wanted to live somewhere larger and there aren't a lot of rental options here.

Work has been pretty cool. I don't know how things were in the past but their operation seem pretty impressive. I think I'm going to be working in the shop doing medium and light repair and changing traction motors. I'm hoping to learn and qualify as a tech and diagnose inbound units and inspect outbound units before they are released to service. After learning the job in the shop and going to school for the different locomotives I'll probably be forced into another job. The government is making all the railroads install control equipment into the locomotives to stop them if they pass a red signal. UP is installing all of that positive train control system themselves so I may end up doing that. At least until they are all installed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: