Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: newbie help Reply with quote

ok so I briefly talked to aaron about this but thought i'd bring it to you all as well. I was driving back home from Everett and noticed the oil pressure gauge was all the way low. odd. so i continued home (wasn't that far away). car was driving just fine and then going up east hill in kent, the car died (except for electric). It wouldn't start again, just a loud clicking noise and light white smoke came from the engine compartment.

I got it towed home and checked the oil and it was a little low. It was about time for an oil change but didn't think I should have low oil so perhaps I have an oil leak? anyways, I put some oil in and then was able to start it with little problem. Rev'd the engine for a few min and it sounded fine. I shut it off and that's the last I've messed with it. I'm having to travel for work so just havne' thad time but am back this weekend.

Upon my own research, it seems things could be just fine or things could be bad. I'm hoping the engine didn't get fried...but like I said, I didn't hear any knocks or pings. If the engine is fried, I'll just cut my losses and move on but if it's fixable without spending a bunch of money, then I'd get it fixed. So I'm wondering your opinions? thanks!

blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you drove it knowing it was low, then on an incline with probably higher rpm you had no pressure. Sounds like you spun a bearing which seized cause it was hot. When it cooled back down it broke free allowing you to turn it over. Might be fine for general use but abuse it and im sure it will seize all the way.

Did you drain the oil yet? If it looks like silver paint you should look for another engine.

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was the case, the starter wouldn't just making clicky noises. That's lack of power or bad connection to the starter. Possible heat soak.

When you say the oil was "a little low" was it between the add and full mark? Was it on the dipstick at all?

Let's get more facts before we condem an engine.

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
If that was the case, the starter wouldn't just making clicky noises. That's lack of power or bad connection to the starter. Possible heat soak.

When you say the oil was "a little low" was it between the add and full mark? Was it on the dipstick at all?

Let's get more facts before we condem an engine.

I've seized a motor to the point of the starter being unable to turn it over before. Wasn't heat soak.

That being said, we do need more facts before we just assume the worst. How low was it? Drain and change the oil, are there shiny metal flakes? Was the car running very hot?

Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the car seems to have strange starter issues so it may not be related to what happened anyways.

Oil was on the dipstick, just not a lot...bottom tip if I remember. To be honest, it was dark as hell and 2 weeks ago so I am not sure. I need to do an oil change and check if there is anything in the oil.

Perhaps it was a sign as I actually, unfortunately, need to sell it for financial reasons. I don't really want to but I don't think I have a choice. Anyone want to buy it Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: