Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longtubes & t56/crossmember?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Longtubes & t56/crossmember? Reply with quote

I got a suggestion to post it over her since I posted it like four times over at TGO. My car's pretty low and I was looking for all the clearence I can get. I'd like to make a crossmember for the t56 I have with "hums" notched out for longtube pipe to sit up in but (1) I can't weld for shizzle (2)I'm not very good at all out fabrication (3)I suck at welding.

Anyone have any suggestions, measurements, helpful hints? Someone at TGO suggested a jig made from my spohn t56 crossmember but I've never made a jig before...

Don't know if those will work, if not go here http://photobucket.com/albums/v521/iansane/

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheezx has done exactly this. I'll msg him today, and ask him to reply to this for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CheezX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I was building and selling before. I haven't made one for a while but I think I still have the setup to make another one. If you need one done we could work something out. Or just copy the style if you want to make your own.

The one in the picture is for a 700R4. I've got one on my own car which is a 400 T56 also.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. And that holds up to abuse? At least abuse from a hard driven street car? I beat the crap out of my car. Very Happy You can still make those? Where are you located? What do you think you'd want for another one? Lot's of questions. Very Happy

Quote:
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Sweet. And that holds up to abuse?

You should see him drive. Laughing Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe fairly safe to assume that if it passed Mikey's testing that it will hold up to abuse.

Crazy SOB!

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit disheartening to be in a caravan of thirdgens, turn left at an intersection and see birdie headlights facing you in your own lane!
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but in an odd bit of irony, it is oddly heartening to be traveling in a caravan of thirdgens and watch one rather abrubptly drift through eight lane intersections at 30*F and T-Tops off of course.

:wipes proud tear from eye smiley:

Very Happy

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CheezX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own defence, I think there was a bit of gravel on the road which I didn't spot. Somebody's gotta do it, right? Nah, it's just fun! Look at the crew video.

iansane, I've found the dimensions for it. I'll have to talk to my buddy (z28redline) to see if he still has the jig and wants to do it. Yes, it holds up to abuse, but it only fits well on a lowered car. At stock height the torque arm hits it, which will cause problems. On my car with 2.5" exhaust the T56 scrapes the ground first.

Also, I've never done calculations on it for strength. This was kind of a "Spohn Style" design where if it looks strong enough and didn't break it's good enough. If I were going to sell another one I'll make sure it'll last forever with repeated drag launches on slicks while at the same time removing unneeded material to make it as light as possible.

So I can do that it just depends how much time you're willing to wait. It would cost about $75 and that includes powdercoating in any color.
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm im going to have longtubes and a t56 in my 85... what would makin a couple? hehe

1997 Z28 PCMforLess tune, K&N CAI, trickflow elbow, 160 thermostat, edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster 3", 18" cragars.
Best 1/4 - 13.8 @ 101.98 60' 2.27
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheezX wrote:
In my own defence, I think there was a bit of gravel on the road which I didn't spot. Somebody's gotta do it, right? Nah, it's just fun! Look at the crew video.

iansane, I've found the dimensions for it. I'll have to talk to my buddy (z28redline) to see if he still has the jig and wants to do it. Yes, it holds up to abuse, but it only fits well on a lowered car. At stock height the torque arm hits it, which will cause problems. On my car with 2.5" exhaust the T56 scrapes the ground first.

Also, I've never done calculations on it for strength. This was kind of a "Spohn Style" design where if it looks strong enough and didn't break it's good enough. If I were going to sell another one I'll make sure it'll last forever with repeated drag launches on slicks while at the same time removing unneeded material to make it as light as possible.

So I can do that it just depends how much time you're willing to wait. It would cost about $75 and that includes powdercoating in any color.

Well that works out perfectly. I'm on sportlines right now so the car scrapes the xmember all the time. I don't have slicks but I do launch the car all the time as well as hard shift it.

Yeah, if you can see if the jig is still around I'll paypal you some money to get one started for me. Would the xmember fit 3" pipes?

Quote:
CheezX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to paypal now, only when it's ready to ship. I've got an idea for a crossmember that will have less deflection. I'll need at least a month though cause it'll have some laser cut pieces.
Gibby85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's this video with Cheesey difting across traffic!!! Shocked

www.cardomain.com/id/gibbys85
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No video - both incidents happened at gatherings... one of those things you have to show up to.

Razz

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoever is behind cheezy at the dyno WILL have the video camera running in their car.
CheezX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a recent video, no drifting though. Just playing around in the parking lot, not that interesting. More like a practice session. Wink

VIDEO
vega_guy_76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 32MB. It took me 5 minutes 5 seconds to download that on a Cable connection. Dial-up beware. On the good side, That's a very nice looking and sounding car.

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup yup Thumbs up Rock on!

Canada

New engine sounds good Mikey.

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, sweet sounding bird there. Makes me miss my old 87 formy.

Quote:
CheezX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments guys. I still think it sounds the same as the 305 did, just a bit deeper.

iansane, pictures of your car make me want 91-92 bumpers and gfx! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: