Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Reply with quote

So I know it's a very common topic to talk exhaust but I'm a noob so i'm gonna bring it up again. I've actually been reading on thirdgen for a while.

I've got an 83 Firebird with a 350. I basically want to go "all out" with exhaust. I'd rather pay more now then more later because I tried to be too cheap. First off, I know basically nothing about cars. I just think they're pretty. Just trying to learn what certain parts even are is a task, let alone knowing how to work on them.

Anyways, so from my research, it seems I want new headers, new high flow cat, and a new muffler (and new pipes?). I have no idea what is on the car now. The car that owned it before me did some stuff so it's probably not stock. Perhaps I don't even have to do as much as I think but I don't know how to tell what I already have (perhaps one of you smart peeps could meet up with me sometime and take a look).

I'm doing exhaust pretty much just for sound. Performance is always nice but I don't race so not necessary. Better gas mileage is always nice but not necessary as my car is a toy. I like loud beefy V8 sounds. At one point some exhaust gasket or seal broke and my car sounded so freakin loud it was amazing. I found a guy on craigslist who said I better get that fixed because exhaust would be leaking into my cab and because of where the gasket broke, the exhaust could cause a fire. Anyways, he did some quick fix that fixed it but he did say that it was temporary. That was a couple of months go. Just recently, I think it's starting to break again as it's getting a little louder (and there is an ugly little rattle like before). So I thought I might as well just get my exhaust done.

So...yes I know I"m talking alot here (feel free to tell me to shut it). Hooker headers, Magnaflow high flow cat, and Spintech muffler? Sound good? Seems like what I would want. There is one small problem that I have no idea what "size" to get for any of this stuff. If I need different or new piping, etc etc.

I've always wanted to be part of a car "group" like this so I'm glad I found you. Like I said, I'm a noob that knows nothing but always willing to learn. Considering a few months ago, I didn't even know what a header was, I think i'm doing ok Very Happy . So, with all that said..what do you think about the parts? And is there a local shop that will throw all this together for me? I have no idea on the cost for labor for something like this. Any ideas?

Thanks so much all!

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud pipes save lives but tinnitus lasts forever. Wink

-You don't have to pass emissions so any emissions equipment you decide to keep is out of the goodness of your heart.

-How far South do you come on a regular basis? I'm in Graham but I've got no problem driving out to look at a car.
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Loud pipes save lives but tinnitus lasts forever. Wink

-You don't have to pass emissions so any emissions equipment you decide to keep is out of the goodness of your heart.

-How far South do you come on a regular basis? I'm in Graham but I've got no problem driving out to look at a car.

isn't it federal law though to keep a cat? I know since my car is over 25 years old in washington it doesn't matter but i thought there was still federal law. If I don't need it, that would save me money not having to buy one lol.

I don't really drive at all so anywhere I go is just extra or for fun. I'm actually down in Portland right now with my car (first road trip with it!). I'll be coming back up to Kent Friday. Perhaps I could stop by in your area if you'd be available.

Leejo2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, it is a federal requirement to keep all original installed emissions equipment. In all likelyhood it will never be checked unless you brag about it to the state patrol or something.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes, yes it is a Federal law. Very Happy
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leejo2005 wrote:
Simply put, it is a federal requirement to keep all original installed emissions equipment. In all likelyhood it will never be checked unless you brag about it to the state patrol or something.

probably make a good point there. "keep all originall installed emissions equipment". so probably even changing out the cat for another one would be illegal. So might as well just not use a cat at all. Is there an advantage to not having a cat? Better sound, performance, gas mileage?

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace a cat with an aftermarket:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
You can replace a cat with an aftermarket:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Reread section 6 of the link you posted. You can't replace a cat "just because."

Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On any third gen by now they'd sure have hell of a time proving that the factory installed converter didn't need to be replaced
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if I don't get a cat, what is put in it's place? just straight pipe?
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
Yep.

cool, well that's cheaper than buying a cat. How does have straight pipe there do for performance, sound, gas mileage, etc? Is it better or worse than having a cat there?

Leejo2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jadon wrote:
Alphius wrote:
Yep.

cool, well that's cheaper than buying a cat. How does have straight pipe there do for performance, sound, gas mileage, etc? Is it better or worse than having a cat there?

My bird has had a magnaflow muffler since before I bought it, wasn't too loud and had a nice deep tone. After I welded in straight pipe the car is much louder. Sounds raspy and very aggressive. Gets annoying sometimes in the morning and on the freeway but other times I love it.
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leejo2005 wrote:
Jadon wrote:
Alphius wrote:
Yep.

My bird has had a magnaflow muffler since before I bought it, wasn't too loud and had a nice deep tone. After I welded in straight pipe the car is much louder. Sounds raspy and very aggressive. Gets annoying sometimes in the morning and on the freeway but other times I love it.

you replaced your muffler with straight pipe as well? so it's all just straight pipe? or you mean you replaced your cat with straight pipe with your magnaflow?

Leejo2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. i meant to say that I replaced the cat with straight pipe. Still has muffler but is supstantially louder. Probably wouldn't be so dramatic though with a different muffler.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:
You can't replace a cat "just because."

Yes but you can replace it if it is "clogged" or "leaks" and it already went to the scrapyard so prove me wrong officer. Wink

Straight pipe gives more "cackle" in my experience. Also smells a lot different.

As for mufflers I am partial to a nice straight-through unit that is not louvered, like Magnaflows or maybe a Hooker Aerochamber.

Baffled mufflers (Flow-Master, Pro-Flo, ect.) restrict flow and cause drone which drives me nuts.

Louvered mufflers (Cherry Bomb's, ect.) are a flow restriction and have to much "buzz" for my taste.
Jadon

1983 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leejo2005 wrote:
Sorry. i meant to say that I replaced the cat with straight pipe. Still has muffler but is supstantially louder. Probably wouldn't be so dramatic though with a different muffler.

interesting. I am wanting a louder aggressive sound (at idle and low RPMs). I was thinking of doing spintech 9000 or 6000 muffler. and then headers (not sure what kind).

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borla for the win.

I've been dealing with them alot lately - mainly because I want stainless and things magnaflows are crap.

Sound is excellent and the build quality is top notch. Yes they are more spendy, but I wont buy anything else in stainless.

In steel - Hooker Aerochamber gets the win.

turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a flowmaster 80 series and it works great for me. Very Happy

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
magnaflows are crap.

Do you dislike the build quality or just the sound?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: