Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good combo/Q's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Good combo/Q's Reply with quote

Within the next year i plan to start my next build-up for the T/A. Here's what im thinking of going with:

ENGINE:

- 350 4bolt main
- Summit Cast 383 Stroker Crank
- SpeedPro PowerForged pistons
- Mini Ram w/ 30lb injectors and AFPR (maybe 36lb?)
- LT4 Hotcam
- AFR 195cc Heads
- Serpentine Pulley system
- MSD ignition
- High Volume Fuel pump

TRANSMISSION

- 6spd from LS1 T/A or Camaro w/ short throw shifter

EXHAUST:

- Edelbrock Headers w/ air tubes
- Electronic Cutout
- High flow cat- 3''
- Flowmaster 3'' Catback (80 series muffler)

SUSPENSION/TIRES (for 1/4 estimates if anyone wants to take a stab at it)

- Eibach Pro-kit
- SBC's
- Nitto 555R tires

My Q's are, what kind of milage should i expect with a setup like that and what kind of number should it be putting down? Just keep in mind its going to stay my daily driver! Wink

1999 Black Trans Am-Auto/ Stock
2K7 Yamaha R6S-Yoshimura Race Slip on
2K5 Yamaha R6- RIP Sad
1986 Trans Am WS6-Sold Sad
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn nice setup you got there, maybe you and I can plan some group purchases since I am going for a very similiar powertrain.

I am gonna hijack your thread just a tad though.

What is the major difference between an LT1 and LS1 6 speed?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS1 6spd will not work with the LT1 or traditional SBC (pre 85).

LT1 6spd will only work with the traditional SBC if you have an 86+ (1 piece rear main seal) block. The different pilot bearing sizes. I think there is an adapter kit to make them work with the traditional SBC though.
Either way, if you are looking, I would advise to stay away from the generic "aftermarket" T-56. I've heard of too many problems with getting that to work. Unfortunately, they are also the least expensive of them all. Once again, "caveat emptor" applies here.

IIRC, Jon (Qwktrip) had a contact at Forte's and could get their transmissions at a slight discount for us. Also, don't know if you guys know it or not, but there is a company called Dark Horse that makes custom (and normal) installation transmission setups and they are right here in PNW, Renton maybe? Not sure, here's the link:

http://www.darkhorseperformance.com/
Also you may consider: Keisler, and Hanlon Motorsports too.

hth
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PonchoTA wrote:

LT1 6spd will only work with the traditional SBC if you have an 86+ (1 piece rear main seal) block. The different pilot bearing sizes. I think there is an adapter kit to make them work with the traditional SBC though.

So if I buy a used t56 from a 93-97 an LT1 or LS1 f-body, I have to buy a post 85 engine?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:
PonchoTA wrote:

So if I buy a used t56 from a 93-97 an LT1 or LS1 f-body, I have to buy a post 85 engine?

I think so! Please don't take this as gospel, but I'm almost sure that pre-97 LT1 6spds will work with an adapter (to rotate the tranny back up from the T5's -18* roll) OR, the LT1 bellhousing is drilled the same for the SBC bolt pattern as well. That's the part I'm not too sure of! Embarassed

If I find out any other info, I'll be sure to pass it along.
Myself, I'm looking for a inexpensive (yeah, I know!) TKO 5 spd to go in my car. It's practically a bolt in! I'm retrofitting my clutch system into a hyd. system also, so will keep all advised on best methods!

Paul
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some places sell adapter plates for the T56 but if you get EVERYTHING in the swap, then you might be good to go ... I think the main reason the T56 bare by itself doesn't work is because of the bellhousing (although some places include them and the plate) is something to do with the clutch... not 100% either on that though

but this could be if you use a stock clutch and stock flywheel...

if you get new ones, maybe less to worry about?

people are running T56's in other things without adapter plates..

btw one of the main reasons an LS1 T56 won't work is input shat length...

to my knowledge the bolt patter on the tranny side of the bellhousing is still the same as the LT1

not sure of this either but I thought the LT1 belhousing gives the same 17 or 18 degree pitch as the thirdgens...

guess theres only one way to find out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a TKO 5spd tranny better than the 6spd? Im looking for something that will still get me decent gas milage with that setup but hold up with all that power. MMMMMMMM......POWER... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Cool
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project_1986_TA wrote:
is a TKO 5spd tranny better than the 6spd? Im looking for something that will still get me decent gas milage with that setup but hold up with all that power. MMMMMMMM......POWER... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Cool

as far as gas mileage, it won't be better than the 6 speed, but it'd be close, and a lot stronger as well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank is important, I wouldn't get one from summit, get something like Eagle or Skat.
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, whats wrong with summit cranks? I havent really checked Eagle or any other brands of cranks so i just threw one out there. Some of the things listed above may be changed either by brand or size to get the right parts to go together.

So what kind of number's and times could that setup do along with my 3.73 rear?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be nothing wrong with summit cranks.. infact i bet they are another brand rebadged summit. But atleast for me somethings very important like a crankshaft i want from a tried and true name.

Pushrods, gauges, things like that are cool for summit.... but heads/cam/rotating assembly I will always get from a name brand. Piece of mind I guess..... don't want a rod to go through pretty heads and my hood.....
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard a few people say that the 195cc heads and a LT4 hotcam is a bit small for that engine but would do great as a daily (around 15MPG city, 22MPG highway) street driven car? What do you guys think?
Roshambo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to paint your car red after doing that setup. Shocked

Seriously though.. one thing I see here is: Big Power, Tough transmission, STICKY tires... uhh.. rearend? Uhh.. rearend?

You might want to think about beefing that thing up with some better axles, other wise asking for estimates on timeslips becomes moot when you've got pieces of pumpkin all over the track.

But, I could be wrong. Wink

-Joe

Last edited by Roshambo on Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rearend is a brand new GM 10bolt with Richmond 3.73's and an eaton posi. I just had this put in a few months ago

I didn't read that very good. What is involved in beefing up a rearend and what would it normaly run?
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually when rearends come into question there are only a few options...

GM 12
Strange 12
Strange modified 12 with a 9 center section
Ford 9
Moser 9
Moser 12

seeing as how Moser's don't seem to hold up to high speeds all that well (who'd have figured, a couple of 145mph jaunts down the highway and the gears are missing teeth Shocked )

and no one really wants to use a ford product ( Laughing )

Strange is probable the best thing to go with...
the GM 12 is cheaper by far, and fairly strong, but a Strange 12 bolt with their super posi unit/gears is pretty much a guaranteed thing...

but there is no reason why yours shouldn't hold up for awhile under normal driving conditions and some playing around on the side...

but a complete strange rearend would probably run you about $2350 shipped to your doorstep

as far as the summit cranks... the forged cranks are usually eagle as far as I know, however they need to be ground down for bearings and such... UNLESS... you decide you want to get a balanced rotating assembly kit from someone ... Summit has the best bang for the buck there ... I wouldn't use the cast ones at all, though they ARE cheap...

their pistons are usually JE and their connecting rods are either JE or Manley ... they get them from both depending on who gives them the better deal at the time so you get one or the other

their pushrods are comp, their cams are probably the same, and depending on the type of roller rocker, most of those are comp too Embarassed

heads, err, I didn't think summit had heads of their own (if they do they're probably vortecs haha) but Pro Topline heads are just as good as AFR if not better ...

Distributor wise I'd go with a pertronix with an MSD box, but thats me...
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
There may be nothing wrong with summit cranks.. infact i bet they are another brand rebadged summit. But atleast for me somethings very important like a crankshaft i want from a tried and true name.

Pushrods, gauges, things like that are cool for summit.... but heads/cam/rotating assembly I will always get from a name brand. Piece of mind I guess..... don't want a rod to go through pretty heads and my hood.....
FYI,alsmot everything summit sells under the "summit" name,is all name brand stuff...the "summit" cranks are eagle cranks
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

far more cheaper alternatives then buying a 2500 dollar rearend...

buying a used 12 bolt,and putting new gears/posi/axles and rewelding the 3rd gen mounts and spring perches is ALOT cheaper,and just the same{asuming you know how to weld} < this is what ill be doing whenver the 10 bolt i bought goes boom.

summits rods are eagles,the i beams are SIR rods,the h beams are 3d rods.

ans uhh aaron,what are you talking about having the crank ground for bearings? Confused

and BTW summit is NOT the best bang for the buck on rotating assemblys

the rods they sell for 500 bucks,i bought for 349,the pistons they sell for 280,i bought for 149,the crank they sell for over 500,i paid 340.

looking on ebay is the best bet for TRUE name brand stuff @ CHEAP prices

try looking for a ebay store, 1 racers outlet...this is where ive purchased all my rotating assembly peices.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:

84transam383 wrote:
FYI,alsmot everything summit sells under the "summit" name,is all name brand stuff...the "summit" cranks are eagle cranks

Rolling Eyes and anyway, just how do you think you can prove that they are eagle?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

the rods they sell for 500 bucks,i bought for 349,the pistons they sell for 280,i bought for 149,the crank they sell for over 500,i paid 340.

So you paid $850 for Crank/Rods/pistons.

A complete 383 Eagle Balanced rotating assembly is $895.95 from summit with the sir rods and kb pistons/pins. That includes a new balancer, flexplate, bearings, and rings.

Looks like you got hosed Mr. Barnes
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Quote:

So you paid $850 for Crank/Rods/pistons.

A complete 383 Eagle Balanced rotating assembly is $895.95 from summit with the sir rods and kb pistons/pins. That includes a new balancer, flexplate, bearings, and rings.

Looks like you got hosed Mr. Barnes
oh yes i got hosed...

i have forged h beam 3d stroker rods {not sir i beams}
i have a forged 4340 stroker crank{not a cast crank}
and i have speed pro skirt coated pistons{not regular keith blacks} btw,mine are full floats,i beleive KB's are pressed

i dont need a new balancer,or a flywheel,and the bearings and rings i bought arent cheapy ones,i bought total seals and clevite race bearings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: