Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting to TPI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Converting to TPI Reply with quote

I have always been a carb guy, but after finishing up my buddy's 240sx I have been really thinking a turbo is a fun way to go. And I would much rather run it with fuel injection instead of running a pull through set-up with a carb. I have been mulling it over for awhile, and I figure what the hell. It cant be that much more work.

Or can it? I figured, the engine is out already so all I really need to do is get a wiring harness for TPI.

What are your thoughts and opinions between carb and fuel injection? Have any of you done the conversion?

The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna do it too. Upgrading the fuel system would be the only grey area as far as I can see. I won't go with a stock in-tank pump. Routing the return fuel line could be a sticking point too. I have had carbed and TPI 305s and I really miss the TPI. Hopefully Ian will get around to selling me his '90 TPI setup so I can get started converting mine. Cool Very Happy
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done it, but ive got as close as buying everything i needed for the setup then selling it. But i am prolly going to do it still, since my 400 sbc fell through im pretty sure im going with and LT1 now, and yeah the fuel system is going to be the worst part i think too.

You prolly will even get started sooner than me, but if not ill be sure to remember what i did and maybe try to help out.

1997 Z28 PCMforLess tune, K&N CAI, trickflow elbow, 160 thermostat, edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster 3", 18" cragars.
Best 1/4 - 13.8 @ 101.98 60' 2.27
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Mark, I think he did it once.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:

Has Mark done everything? Jeeze

The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:

Did mark ever get it to run?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i did john...but i was having issues with it

also messed with the z28 i had remember?

converting to TPI is easier then you think,msot of my problems were computer related{the setup i got from brandon}

the only real big hassle is routing the wiring harness into the car and pass floorboard{requires removing the fender,or at least the bottom bolt to pull the fender back a bit}....and dropping the ttank for the EFI pump,and the TPI lines at the front frame.

the rest is cakework,the plugs only really go in one way,so its hard to mess things up that way,and once you lay things out,its almost impossible to get plug locations wrong.

to be honest i got frustrated with the computer aspect,my 85 z28 TPI had the shitty 870? computer system,was going to switch it too the 730 SD setup,but it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass.

when i retrofitted TPI into my 82 t/a...i couldnt diagnose the problem,i had matt{gettaway305} and ben {bendoe91z28} try to help,but to no avail...it ran great as long as it wasnt idling,but everything checked out within specs,so i gave up on it after a few months.

if you need help,i can help you out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wolffy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i have a complete TPI setup from my 85 just sitting around waiting for a new home.
intake, runners, distributor, throttle body, computer & wiring harness, intank fuel pump,
just no fuel lines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: