Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROM for 85 TPI

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would a Chip Help ?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

85 T/A WS6

1985 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: PROM for 85 TPI Reply with quote

Since this is perhaps one of the last free mods left for me to do I thought it may work well with my 170 deg TStat. I understand these advance your timing somewhat, what else will they do Question

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33597&item=7932298328&rd=1

Thanks,

Don

1985 Trans Am Recaro Option (AS5)
67,000 miles 5.0 TPI Hi Flow MAF
TPI Airfoil w/Bypass Flowmaster WS6 (.92g)
3:27 Borg Warner Posi K&N Filtration
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself wouldn't mess with those. There are many guys on the TBI board whos car have either a) not run right at all, or b) gotten slower after putting in one of his chips. My advise would be to stay away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raiden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I was wondering if you were still around!?! Hope all is well! Hey, wondering what setup you ECM is and how easy it would be to swap ecm's from what your engine currently has to say a 730 (speed density) or a Mass Air ecm? I know you can get the 7730 ecm on ebay, i got an extra one for 50 bucks with the chip. Then all you would need is the wiring/sensors. I think you can get the painless wiring kit for around 2-300$. I can not see it being that difficult, although it may seem intimadating....just a thought.

good to see ya around!

Last edited by Raiden on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an '85 TPI Hypertech chip you can have for $20!

It's the one that works with a 160deg t-stat.
Glenn91L98GTA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
I've got an '85 TPI Hypertech chip you can have for $20!

It's the one that works with a 160deg t-stat.

While most people are well aware of my opinion of "off-the-shelf" eproms from TGO. One thing people never consider is "the cost of a spare memcal".

Yes, I am still a firm believer that a "hands on" tuned eprom, EVEN if not with a WB, can still make some decent gains and are far better than an "off-the-shelf". But, when people ask me about "burning them an eprom", they never realize that "you just can't take a chip and readily remove it and install the new one in your Memcal (P4 type)".

You must either get an adapter, or buy another Memcal and then have it reprogrammed. For $20, if I owned a 1985 F-body, I would consider a Hypertech worth while just because you can't buy a 1985 memcal from GM for $20". If I knew someone with a 1985 and wanted me to program his Memcal, I would tell him to buy this $20 memcal, so I could reprogram it.
85 T/A WS6

1985 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiyas Craiger ! Very Happy

Thanks for the input All. I heard 160 is too cold for the 305 TPI thats why I went 170. If the Hypertech chip is only for 160 I will have to think hard about it.

I ran a 160 in my Yukon 5.7 Vortec with a Hypertech Power Program and man did it make a huge difference. Combined with a Flowmaster Force II Catback and a K&N FIPK system I'm in torque heaven. Smile Now with the cold weather and gas prices I put back the 195 and detunned it.

I just replaced my EGR on the T/A after years of predetonation, I dont want to go back there ever again. Thats why I was thinking the ebay unit, something that would help and not force me to run octane boost every tank. Also replacing a wire harness is too much for me at this point.

Im really pleased how it runs now. I think the cam in the 85 really makes a difference and now I fixed the EGR it runs like it should, lights both tires up on a launch without brakestanding it. Razz Not an easy feat with "Corvette size tires" lol
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with that chip my '85 TPI Iroc stock with the exception of a good tune up, a flowmaster muffler, k&n, sub woofers/amps/spare tire in the back.... ran 15.2@89.9 with 2.2 60ft times street tires with that hypertech chip.

I believe hands on eprom tuning is good, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, before you get gains. The best l98 times i've seen are 14.7-8.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, since It's just sitting with all my eprom stuff.
Glenn91L98GTA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this memcal the "piggy-back" adapter type where you plug your old Memcal into it, and the EST circuitry flows through? Or is this a complete memcal and specific solely to the 85 MAF system. I.E. you can only program it to run on an 85 MAF, the Memcal will not work on a 86-89 system - even if the eprom is reprogrammed?

Something like you can reprogram a V6 memcal to work on a V8 even if they both used the 7730. But if it's a "piggy-back, the EST circuitry flow throw and then you can reprogram the eprom for anything.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the single prom, with the black casing around it that will only fit the '85 ECM. The limp home is built into the '85 ecm, so it's not the 5" long stick.

You pull the old prom out, put this one in. No tools required, no adapters required, etc.
Glenn91L98GTA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity, if it had been a "piggy-back" I would have considered buying it. I would have just turned it into an "adapter" - I can always use those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: