Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here have vortec heads with TPI?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Anyone here have vortec heads with TPI? Reply with quote

Well I've been thinking (yes I know-wife says men should not do that. it's not natural) and was contemplating getting a set of vortec iron heads and the scoggin's -dickey TPI manifold with the EGR provision instead of spending $900 on corbeau seats. But scoggins-dickey says you need to get the exahust gas feed externally instead of from the crossover port in the heads.

I've seen a few posts on TGO about this, but no close ups of where they got the exhaust gas feed. I've got the coated 2055's and don't really want to weld on them and screw up the coating, nor have to remove the headers to accomplish this.

Anyway, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Power over comfort any time huh Mike Wink

And no bottles for me thank you very much!! All motor Cool I'm too old for "baby bottles", blue, red, or otherwise Razz
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havn't seen anyone do this.

Another thing you can do, is the diverter valve on the A.I.R. tubes... un screw it, and plumb a T between the valve and the header. Run that extra port to the External EGR port on the SDPC TPI manifold.

I found other ways of spending $1000. Yes $1000. Intake + Heads (And you want the upgraded heads, not the oem-ers), plus the EGR flange/plumbing, gaskets, and the TIME it takes to remove that damn tpi.

External EGR

instead of hitting the header directly like that, reroute with a T as I mentioned.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/56858/
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here have vortec heads with TPI? Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
Power over comfort any time huh Mike Wink

hehe I like both. Still have A/C, Cruise, etc. etc.... Now if I only had power.

Sounds like a cool project Dan. Keep us posted.

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the info. For now it's in the idea stage. I'm not sure which heads to go with. Paul, you mentioned do not get the stock heads. Why not?

And if I do physically get all of this to bolt up and work, then there will be chip tuning issues which I can't do. So, am hoping Glenn briefs me on the wb sensor and the other gadjet he mentioned.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at first I was thinking Vortec stockers have weak springs which they do, but would be fine with your Peanut cam. The stockers have press in studs. I don't know if you remember my experiance with press in studs with a MILD lift.... but yeah pulled a couple! Remember making that tap block? Yeah, broke the stud boss off, head ruined. The L31 heads have better springs, and screw in studs.

Are the stock vortec springs even good enough for a roller cam?

I can tell you right now, CHANGE THE CAM if you put those heads/intake on.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now the plot thickens with a new cam and springs. And the money goes up more, and the chip tuning issues get larger. The chip issues are the biggest stumbling block for me. I agree when doing the head change a cam would be the logical thing to do, but then will the car even run with all those changes on the chip I have now? I have to drive this car to work, so it can't be down for very long. The milage in my pickup just kills me. So if I do this I have to plan carefully, very carefully
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
Well now the plot thickens with a new cam and springs. And the money goes up more, and the chip tuning issues get larger. The chip issues are the biggest stumbling block for me. I agree when doing the head change a cam would be the logical thing to do, but then will the car even run with all those changes on the chip I have now? I have to drive this car to work, so it can't be down for very long. The milage in my pickup just kills me. So if I do this I have to plan carefully, very carefully

You can drive it. I drove on my 350, semi ported 416 heads, comp XE 262 cam, headers, stock chip.... for months.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but with all those new parts, there really won't be much of a gain without chip tuning will there?

If I can plan this around a trip of Glenns down here then it might be doable if it can happen in one or two days at most with weeks of prior notice. But to put all that money in the car for parts and not have any improvment for all the work and money would not be smart. So that's why I'm asking all these dumb questions now of you and everyone else here. I want to have a complete plan and budget before starting.

Which heads are better than the stock vortecs?
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
... But to put all that money in the car for parts and not have any improvment for all the work and money would not be smart.

NOW you tell me Duh

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
Ok, but with all those new parts, there really won't be much of a gain without chip tuning will there?

If I can plan this around a trip of Glenns down here then it might be doable if it can happen in one or two days at most with weeks of prior notice. But to put all that money in the car for parts and not have any improvment for all the work and money would not be smart. So that's why I'm asking all these dumb questions now of you and everyone else here. I want to have a complete plan and budget before starting.

Which heads are better than the stock vortecs?

Looks like SPDC doesn't have the upgraded vortec anymore. That I can see.

How's this for a tuning issue you have:

My TPI/350/Comp cam ran 14.0 with fouled plugs and stock chip....

My tuned HSR Pro head Comp Cam ran 13.7.

You do the math. SAME engine. Bigger heads/intake is all no tune change.

You need an adapter with some EEproms and tuning will be a breeze. Really.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, are there better heads available that use a stock TPI manifold that compare with the power gain of the vortecs?

Last edited by alloy on Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vortec chambers are great. Flow is pretty damn good. The problem I see, is you might start getting into overkill on a 305 in the tpi world. That's something you'd have to research and maybe weed through on tgo or something. Maybe B will chime in.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my idea was that heads make power, so I could add heads and a cam, then later upgrade to different runners, or maybe a different intake using my stock throttle body. A mini ram/stealth ram maybe?

If I can do heads and a cam and keep my stock intake, I'd have a good starting point for an upgraded intake swap later on.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about one of those little superchargers? Like Paxton or something. Leave the engine alone and just force the air into it. Could be an economical choice in the long run too by the time you add up the heads, cam, diferant intake, and all of that stuff down the road.
laegion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I can do heads and a cam and keep my stock intake, I'd have a good starting point for an upgraded intake swap later on.

that seems like logical thinking to me.

you have a 305 don't you?

Last edited by laegion on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schultzy89GTA wrote:
alloy wrote:
... But to put all that money in the car for parts and not have any improvment for all the work and money would not be smart.

NOW you tell me Duh

-Schultzy

Well why didn't you ask us first before spending all that money. I'm here asking Wink
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes have an "05" in it Cool

Hadn't thought about getting "blown" Very Happy
laegion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
Yes have an "05" in it Cool

you should still get good gains from head and cam swap even before you swap on better intake components.

It makes sense to me to do it the way you're thinking.

supercharger means chip tuning too.. don't forget that.

Last edited by laegion on Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
laegion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
How about one of those little superchargers? Like Paxton or something. Leave the engine alone and just force the air into it. Could be an economical choice in the long run too by the time you add up the heads, cam, diferant intake, and all of that stuff down the road.

which supercharger kit is that? all the one's I see are like $2000 or above. which I would think would be more than a cam and head swap? course there is ebay, but would the whole kit be there and what about the guarantee.

If I could find an inexpensive supercharger I'd get it. but I would have no clue how to go about tuning a quadrajet to run in more than atmospheric pressure, I havn't had a chance to learn how to tune one at all yet.
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vortec heads are fine with roller cams....every vortec motor was a roller motor,hence equipped with roller springs.

comp beehive springs work excellent in the vortec heads,and allow upwards of .550 lift capability,and wont float the valves if you rev the piss out of it.

get a machine shop to drill/tap for screw in studs,and your set to go. if your starting from scratch,you really cant beat vortecs for the $$

btw,rodney,what is a little supercharger? Laughing

look on ebay for vortec heads,i got mine brand new for 510 to my door,and another 170 for a polished airgap intake,i still happen to have my vortec heads
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: