Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flickering SES light after adapter install?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Flickering SES light after adapter install? Reply with quote

Just put my Moates adapter in, now the engine light is flickering and it idles at like 1500rpm. I tried the chip in both ways... Don't know what I could have done. Anyone run into this?
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip wipes if it goes in the wrong way, so flipping it does nothing. Gotta reburn it and put it in correctly.

Ask me how I know this. Embarassed
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Its the stock chip. I don't even know how to burn one yet... Crap
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I'm forgetting you're on TBI. With the ZIF chips on the G1, going in backwards craps them up. Not sure if that is true in your setup.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hope not. I don't have any bins or anything..
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can burn the chip up putting it in the wrong way. I've got one that has a hot spot in it center from doing this, fortunately it wasn't the stock chip, and fortunately it still works.

Silly question, did you install the adapter with the four open pins on the correct end??
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a chip go bad putting it in the wrong way.

Have you guys just heard this, or actually verified with experiance?

Make sure the chip is oriented the same way it was when you took it out, and on the same pins.

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:

http://cascadecrew.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4172&start=25

When I first started burning chips I was putting them in backwards. They would wipe (high idle, no timing advance, ect.), and then not work in any orientation after that.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
I've never had a chip go bad putting it in the wrong way.

Make sure the chip is oriented the same way it was when you took it out, and on the same pins.

I have done so more than once at work and actually blown a chip apart by installing it wrong. Applying voltage to pins not designed to carry it is not good for them.

Paul, one of the 256 chips you gave me has a nice brown spot in the center of the masking tape label from installing it backward, it got toasty enough to where I could smell it. When I get RBob's EBL in the hopefully near future, you can have the one I'm using back if you want, I'm not sure how good the other is though it still works.
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for thread jack, but mike and i were trying to tune my chip with DOS and diacom, and we drove my car a little and data logged it and we went to save it and it saved it as a .gdf instead of a .bin and we couldnt open the file on C.A.T.S. anyone know what might be the verdict
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91camaro_rs wrote:
sorry for thread jack, but mike and i were trying to tune my chip with DOS and diacom, and we drove my car a little and data logged it and we went to save it and it saved it as a .gdf instead of a .bin and we couldnt open the file on C.A.T.S. anyone know what might be the verdict

seriously, dude? Thumbs down

Anyway, I did install the adapter in the correct orientation, I just copied the pictures and directions on the moates site. Now how do you tell which way to put an aftermarket chip in?

Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a notch on one end. That is the end with pin 1. Look at it with the notch to the left, pin 1 is on the bottom left Cool

If not notched, the chip should have a mark or dot on one corner that corresponds to pin 1. Circuit boards are marked similar, either a heavy line on the end with pin 1 or a dot in the corner for pin 1.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Im pretty sure the chip was in backwards when the SES was flashing because I turned it around and the SES is solid. The chip doesn't actually smell or look burnt up, but we did attempt to burn a new one
Skyler and I were really shooting in the dark on burning the chip, tried it, and put in the aftermarket chip, and still solid SES, high idle etc.

I just checked we put the new chip in right where the dot should be, but could we have put it in the burner backwards?

'88 FORMULA
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What burner are you using? The Moates Burn1 that I had had a nice picture on the unit itself showing you how the chip went.

The problem that I had a few years ago was that when the chip goes into the G1 ZIF socket, it goes in backwards relative to the burner. I.E. on the burner the arrow points towards the ZIF lever, and on the ECM the arrow points away from the lever.

91camaro_rs wrote:

Pokey pokey Dude, tell Mike that in the past twenty five years they invented this thing called Windows, and a dude named Mangus (who works for the dudes that made Windows) made a thing called TunerPro. Yeah...
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you stack the bin file, or set the starting bit stuff? With the larger chips, at least on my car, the actual 4k bin, is in the 2nd of set of 4k blocks on the 32k chips. All i do, is stack the 4k bin 8 times (in tuner-pro), then burn the 32k bin to the chip.

The other way you would have to do it, is to modify the starting offset to work properly with a 4k bin.

(although, my equipment and such is like 6 or 7 years old, it may be very different now.)

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding like an idiot... What do I put in for the checksum?
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunerpro should calculate the checksum for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay, it says 4AC3
Does it come up with the prom and mask ID aswell? I know the mask is the $61 but the prom ID says 443.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those shouldn't change. The checksum is calculated by adding up the bianary bits of the bin, and then converted to a 8bit number. Not something you are going to do yourself.

If you getting the SES flashing fast, it isn't reading something for some reason. My first guess, is you aren't burning the chip with the proper offset/starting point, or it isn't seated correctly.

What is the bin size that are you trying to burn, and what is your the offset set to for the burner? That would be the place I would start looking.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 16KB, I cant find where it says the offset? And I got the light to quit flickering with this new chip in, but it stays on solid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: