Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouthwas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Please Help Reply with quote

I have a camaro 1991 RS + , v6, 3.1L...

It has around 170k,000 miles on it i purchased it from some guy on craigslist for about 1,000usd.

Only 3 problems,

I. whenever you drive along time, let's say 20minutes, you can see a little bit of burnt oil smoke coming from underneath the hood. and it smells like burnt oil and crap.

II. Second problem is it just started today, Whenever i drive i hear a clicking sound from the engine, and when i press pedal down more, the clicking increases.

III. I floored the car, got up to around 50 and it shifted into 60mph and was kinda of a loud shift.. didn't sound to goood... normal for these?

What you should know about me:

My second car, I know minimal about cars, the only thing I have done was change a crankshaft positioning sensor and a fuel pump.. I have not done anyything else extreme..

So please try to help me, Thanks!!!!!

I appreciate every comment, if you just read this and about to click the back button,please just comment your thoughts/ideas i need to know! Thanks..

I also live in Washington.. (around Tacoma/Puyallup ) Hoping maybe somone around here would come down over and take a look of the car for me.

Also, MY INFL Code stays on, I think I need to reset it, also does that mean that the call got in a wreck before?
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it possibly sounds like an oil leak where the oil is finding it's way to the exhaust manifold (the burning smell). Being low on oil, one or more of your hydraulic lifters is possibly loose. I would check around the valve covers and distributor for possible leaks, and if necessary, change valve cover gaskets and/or distributor o-ring.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

BTW, welcome to the crew.

Darbbackwords

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to vote valve cover as well. It doesn't take much of a leak if its falling straight onto the exhaust manifold to make a really bad oil burning smell.

Ticking probably is a lifter, but have you tried using premium gas, it might be detonation.

once again, someone smarter then me will likely chime in soon.

~Brad
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil Pressure Sending Unit it where I look first.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta pull codes, then wipe it, then drive it and see what comes back. Codes have no correlation to any wreck, they are merely engine diagnostics.

Oil leak could be valve covers onto exhaust, intake manifold or dizzy seal onto block, or (as Paul mentioned) oil sender onto block. Have to take a look at it while it's hot to see where the smoke is coming from.

My guess on the clicking would be an exhaust leak at the manifolds. Al could be right about a lifter, but lifter noise would increase with engine RPM, not engine load.

If you aren't busy Saturday, bring the car up to Tacoma. We're meeting up at James' house to take a look at John's crapped-up starter, and a few other things.

BTW, you got PM.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the crew dude. These guys are probably on the right track. There really is only a few places to be leaking oil around a 3.1. If I recall, isn't the 3.1 prone to valve cover/intake leaks? Or is that the 3.8? Oh well. If there's already a ton of oil down there that you can't steam clean/pressure wash off you can get some of that UV dye at any autoparts store along with the glasses to pinpoint the leak.

Aaron, INFL is the airbag light I would presume. Not that you've had any thirdgen new enough to have an airbag. Very Happy

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian is correct, the 6/60 is very prone to valve cover leaks. Very poor design. The ticking is likely the lack of oil to your lifters or rockers. Could be exhaust though.

Loud noise on shifting. I'm assuming 5sp? I would check the transmission mount first. Very known problem. Then I would check fluid level inside the case.

20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Aaron, INFL is the airbag light I would presume. Not that you've had any thirdgen new enough to have an airbag. Very Happy

Man, screw airbags. #$%^&* I drive like a pimp. I don't need no bomb in my face. Throw that shizzle in the garbage, and get an IROC wheel in that car pronto. Razz
Mouthwas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, thanks for the replies!!!!

But I currently have to find were the oil is leaking before I assume you guys can help anymore, I just am not sure were to look! Should I look on the sides of the engine and the oil pan? If the oil pan was leaking tho wouldn't my oil gauge show no oil and I would see alot of oil underneath car??

Also is it okay if I take a video of car engine and post it on youtube and you can help me that way?

Also I am going to pm to your post aaron_sK thx
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthwas wrote:
If the oil pan was leaking tho wouldn't my oil gauge show no oil and I would see alot of oil underneath car??

If the oil is burning off, it will never reach the ground.

The oil pump still puts out good pressure, even with a low oil level. The gauge can read good with as little as a quart and a half in the pan on a 60* Chebbie. Ask me how I know this... Duh

First place to check would be between the valve covers and the exhaust manifolds. Second place to check would be where the distributor enters the engine (will be down between the engine and the firewall). Third place would be the sending unit, which is near the oil filter under the car.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
you can get some of that UV dye at any autoparts store along with the glasses to pinpoint the leak.
flea

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm what did you say something ian
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Nothing at all. Very Happy

When I was at the stealership we went through at least a case of that dye a week. Laughing
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
When I was at the stealership we went through at least a case of that dye a week. Laughing

Are you sure that wasn't just because all your mechanics lacked flashlights and eyeballs? Pokey pokey
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. It's Tacoma. 85% of the cars didn't have enginebays, they had compartments that they kept sludge covered hamsterwheels. Some of that shizzle was THICK. Laughing One caprice (big surprise) literally raised up after the detail guys hosed off a hundred or so pounds of sludge from the motor.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
One caprice (big surprise) literally raised up after the detail guys hosed off a hundred or so pounds of sludge from the motor.

I bet the motor ran cooler after that, and the coolant system thanked your guys for the cleaning.
Mouthwas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Mouthwas wrote:
If the oil pan was leaking tho wouldn't my oil gauge show no oil and I would see alot of oil underneath car??

If the oil is burning off, it will never reach the ground.

The oil pump still puts out good pressure, even with a low oil level. The gauge can read good with as little as a quart and a half in the pan on a 60* Chebbie. Ask me how I know this... Duh

First place to check would be between the valve covers and the exhaust manifolds. Second place to check would be where the distributor enters the engine (will be down between the engine and the firewall). Third place would be the sending unit, which is near the oil filter under the car.

Lol, i am looking at every single word you said in the manual's index and finding were there at! Very Happy

Be back!
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:

Throw that shizzle in the garbage, and get an IROC wheel in that car pronto. Razz

Argh!!! Worst stock steering wheel EVER!!! Thumbs down Why me why me? Tisk tisk Ewwwww

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: