Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need smog pump info asap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: need smog pump info asap Reply with quote

So my jegs order just showed up, got a new msd cap and rotor, bosch platinum plugs (for their length) and jegs spark plug wires, now I've been putting off this tune up for too long because I had to do the spark plugs right after I installed my headers and I just wanted to shoot myself, the driver side was cake but I spent a good hour on the passenger side because the smog pump lines...

So I want to bypass the smog pump with a rerouted belt, I looked on TGO and it says I need a 96.8" belt, now I've been told its more expensive because its an odd size, but I've also been told you can run a 97" belt and save $, anyone done this? If iim gonna pull the air tubes out of my way to do my plugs I might as well just get rid of them entirely and with money being tight a belt is cheaper than a delete pulley lol

I know removing the pump is frowned upon but I don't run emissions anymore and I want to unclutter the engine bay plus I had a gutted pump in az so it wasn't even working and I had under half the allowed ppm lol long story short it froze on me so I tossed another one on and now its time to shed the clutter

I need a P/N for the belt, TGO says dayco 968k6 but shucks and autozone show no listing for it and I don't wanna run a duralast or valucraft belt again so if someones got that its be appreciated

TIA

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take an old belt, cut it, wrap it around, mark it, then run it out out flat and measure it with a tape. Only way to know for sure.

NAPA should be able to sell you a decent Gates belt. Remember that the part number is the length (in inches, plus a decimal point) and then the number of ribs. It's not unique to the brand.

Also remember that there is a little bit of slop in the tensioner, so while you may have trouble finding a 968/6, a 965/6 may work just fine.

BTW, length or not, Bosch is junk. Razz
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk if you have v-belt or serp but I have a serp setup wit the a/c and smog pump bypassed and the belt I use is from shucks part number K060980. It says its 98 5/8's
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's odd I used a 96 and 1/8th belt, it was tight but it fits and hasn't been tossed yet and I only bypassed the smog pump, it was a PAIN trying to break the pulley bolts loose lol

In any case its all done, smog is gone, new plugs, wires and rotor/cap it definitely makes a difference I only burned 1/8 tank going to silverdale and back, better throttle response and the exhaust isn't as rich, you should see those plugs they're so beyond toasted I dunno how my car was running[/list]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: