Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racing at PIR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Racing at PIR Reply with quote

Anybody up for running their cars a bit tonight? Thinking of trying out the 2nd gen again. Going to see if I can make a complete run this time.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on the runs if I was closer I would go in a heartbeat!

Let us know how it goes!

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 2nd gen is slow! LOL 14.7@94
The 87 is actually faster at this point.
However, I'm still fighting a fuel supply issue. If I try to make a back to back run the car will vapor lock and die out half track. It also has that lean feel to it during a good run. So I'll be adding an electric pusher pump to my system to see if thats the cure.

Also I'm still running dual 2.25" pipes into a single stock replacement necked down crossflow muffler. A very restrictive system. I think there's alot of power probably hiding in that exhaust system.

I don't usually do burnouts with my street tires, but I figured out that if I let the car sit long enough to not vapor lock, my tires will be cold and I do nothing but spin. Next time I tried it, I did a burnout and they were good and sticky again.

This old car is definatly a handful to drive compared to the 87. Drag racing the 87 is about like taking off from a stoplight. Push gas pedal and go.. no spinning no drama. Technique really didnt matter. This 74 I spent most of my runs just trying to figure out the car.

On the positive side my new th400 works just fine! First run I shifted myself.. and hit neutral instead of 3d.. Shocked No rev limiter yet either.. ouch! 2nd run I tried leaving it in drive.. that doesnt work so well. Shifts are soft and early in drive.

They were hyping up the worlds fastest turbo diesel freightliner.. then the thing lined up and did about 45 mph in the 1/4!! Laughing Announcer explained that it takes 3miles for the thing to get up to speed. No idea why they even tried it on a drag strip.

BTW you wouldnt believe the amount of noise with no weather stripping!!

Speaking of noise. My last race was against a new charger. Got told we were too loud and that I'd have to race by myself after 10. Thought that odd since I have that stock muffler. But the old quadrajet REALLY makes a racket! Very Happy I'll bet its intake noise.
redlava

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite things about the qjet is the howl, when you open it up makes the motor sound beastly.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I saw you out there last night! But you must have left by the time I got teched in. But Id recongnize the red 'bird with primer fenders anywhere. lol
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That freightliner btw is just a modified diesel truck. Even has a stock cab. Of course the wheelbase has been lengthened and had a beastly roll cage. It was a twin engine, quad turbo diesel. 92 cubic inches per cylinder. The owner said it was putting out over 4000hp. In 2007 it set the record at 228mph. One interesting little fact, he also said that it uses less than 3 gallons of diesel on a typical run which is a 5 mile run and 3 miles of shut down. Talk about efficiency.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not that "primer" is 70s era silver paint. There's actually decals on it!

I'll agree thats an impressive truck. I've seen it several times before. I'm not sure if thats the same one that the diesel students in longview worked on or not, but that truck held the world speed record awhile. I just think it was the wrong venue to run the truck. It's impressive to look at, but running it down the track just got laughter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: