Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear brake delema
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Rear brake delema Reply with quote

As you know I've got the 9" and just picked up an extra set of LS1's rears today to put on it. I also have the superlite II's I got off the fireturd.

In looking at the superlite pads it looks like they will have almost twice the contact area on the rotor and way more piston area. These are large 4 piston calipers and looks like a much smaller caliper is usually used on the back. But.........I am way under braked on the back now and was looking to raise the rear pressure to compensate for this. I'm planning on putting an adj. prop valve on the back line also.

I've worked out mounting the LS1's on the 9"already and could make a bolt on bracket to mount the superlites and be the needed spacer for the backing plates. The way I have it worked I could actually mount the stock calipers and the siperlites both on the rear. It's just that easy really. Guess if the suplerlites didn't work I could easily bolt the stockers on.

So..........go with the bigger calipers or stay with the stock LS1's. Am wanting opinions and feedback on this. I'm still in the decision making process right now. Can't do much right now anyway.......am still kinda sore.

www.t5cablespeedometer.com
www.t56cablespeedometer.com

Ronald Reagan: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much play do you get in the axle flanges with the 9" ?? The thing I would be worried about would be pad-knock back on the superlights, if you have any side/side axle movement.

On the 9" it should be MUCH better than say a stock c-clip style rear, but would be something I would think about.

I would thinking that you don't get much gain from that huge caliper. Since you end up limiting the hydrolic pressure to the bakes anyway, it is not like you are gaining any clamping form, or needing to worry about fade resistance.

But, hey, you already have them, always worth a shot. Paul is using the old C4 setup for his rear brakes now, you can ask him how using a caliper designed for the front is working for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO side axle movement in the axles. The bearings are pressed onto the axle and are held into the housing with a 1/4" steel flange with about .020 preload clamping on the bearing holding it in the housing. Only way there would be any movement in the axle would be in the case of a bearing failure.

I'd planned on gutting the stock prop valve and adding the adj. prop valve to the rears with the stock setup to try and get more pressure to the rears, just concerned that these calipers may be overkill and no way to dial them down to get the balance I want. So much more pad and piston area with the superlites than the stockers. I'm not sure if there is a way to calculate this or not.

You mentioned I wont get any more clamping from the superlites. With the increased caliper piston area what is your opinion based on concerning this?

Ronald Reagan: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
You mentioned I wont get any more clamping from the superlites. With the increased caliper piston area what is your opinion based on concerning this?

I'd presume the fact that you're going to have to dial down the pressure so much in the rear to not get lock up before the fronts. The area will be there but the force behind that area will be less.

You always have the option of tuning the bias with pad choice as well. Run a much more aggressive pad in the front vs rear.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
Only way there would be any movement in the axle would be in the case of a bearing failure.

Bearing failure in the 9-inch tends to be vertical anyhow, not horizontal. Ask me how I know this. Wink
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:

I'd presume the fact that you're going to have to dial down the pressure so much in the rear to not get lock up before the fronts. The area will be there but the force behind that area will be less.

You always have the option of tuning the bias with pad choice as well. Run a much more aggressive pad in the front vs rear.

Well I don't want to run a more aggressive pad in the front, I'm already using "K" compound pads and they are pretty touchy and lock waaaay before the rears. In fact I can't lock the rears at all that's why I was going to gut the stock prop valve and use the adj. valve If I run the stock LS calipers in the rear I'm not sure if I can ever get balanced braking. But are the superlites so much that I can't dial them down?

Another trick we used to balance braking force and stay legal in SCCA was to mill slots in the pads to remove pad surface area. This it an easy option for me also.

But as I said I can unbolt the superlites and bolt on the stockers if it doesn't work. That's the beauty of the bracket I've designed. I was expecting this to be really hard to adapt the LS brakes to this rear, but it's as simple as a 1/4" spacer plate and a spacer ring to use to hold the axles in. Everyone I talked to told me to go with the big bearing ends and explorer brakes. Just having the ends installed was $600. And the exploder brakes are no where near the setup the LS's are.

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
alloy wrote:

Ian pretty much nailed it. You are limited by the line pressure. since you want the fronts to lock up just before the rear's, you are limited to a clamping force that much smaller in the back. No matter how big a caliper you put back there, you end up just turning down the pressure and not using the extra piston area or pad size.

If you have them, try it and see what you get, if it works, great, if not you don't lose anything. But, i don't think you would be disappointed with the LS1 rears, and some good pads in the back. There is so much less energy being turned into heat in the back, that fade shouldn't be an issue with the back brakes even at the stock LS size.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what Ian is saying, but I'm dissapointed in the LS1's now with very good pads, and fade isn't a problem at all with my setup. Not being able to balance the rears to the fronts is what I'd like to cure. But after saying that I've not upped the rear pressure yet by modding the prop valve.

In talking with JERRYWHO on TGO he calculated he needed an additional 500 psi of rear pressure to make the rear LS's almost equal to the 13" fronts. We have the identical setups for brakes. 500 psi is a lot to try and gain.

I don't want to dial the fronts down, I'd like to raise the rear force to make them more equal to the fronts. Same problem I was working on before, but now I have another option to try.

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do away with the prop valve completely. Just run the lines straight out of the master, and put your valve on the rear brakes. Then you have full pressure to both front and rear, and can dial in your rear to whatever you need.

Not that I am saying the superlights will be bad (I would never want anyone ot think that bigger isn't better!), I am just having hard time seeing how you can be that short of rear braking with the LS1 setup.

--John
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
Not that I am saying the superlights will be bad (I would never want anyone ot think that bigger isn't better!), I am just having hard time seeing how you can be that short of rear braking with the LS1 setup.

--John

Cause he's still using the stock prop valve which isn't putting enough pressure to the rears to make them work effectively in relation to the fronts.

I echo everything that has been said so far regarding rear brakes. If nothing else, bigger looks better and will be more impressive, even if it's the same level of effectiveness as the LS1 rears. Razz

alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:

Cause he's still using the stock prop valve which isn't putting enough pressure to the rears to make them work effectively in relation to the fronts.

I thought I said that. I'm with stupid

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
Alphius wrote:

I thought I said that. I'm with stupid

You did, I just reworded it. Razz

Like everyone else says, LS1s would be fine with the proper brake proportioning, but I think if you have the Superlites why not throw them on? Twisted Evil

alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:

Like everyone else says, LS1s would be fine with the proper brake proportioning, but I think if you have the Superlites why not throw them on? Twisted Evil

I'm working on the CAD drawing for the mount now.

alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my bracket designed and found a guy on CL that will plasma cut them out for $25. That's a steal. I have to supply material, but I was expecting at least $75 minimum for this. If you need parts cut like this I'll post a link to him.

He has 4ft x 8ft capacity.

Now need to start looking for someone to sand blast the rear to get rid if that hideous, god awful, fugly, ugly RED that someone painted the rear with. How could anyone in their right mind ever paint car parts red like that Ewwwww

Pokey pokey

alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some more progress. Picked up a 3.70 center section for $50. Need to swap my 31 spline posi in it now. Also got the backing plate holes filled and re drilled and mounted to the housing.

"Finally" found the correct axle seals. Took 2 days and looking through many different seal catalogs to find them. They were in stock at schuck's but not listed as a seal for any ford rear that I could find. Was a mopar seal they said Shocked Also got some new axle bearings. Picked up a conversion u-joint and need to see if it fits now.

Now waiting for my caliper brackets. Hopefully next week some time. And need to get the welding done. I may have a guy locally that can do it.

So...some progress, it's slow but progress none the less.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear progress! It'll be cool seeing a 9 with LS1s on it. Smile
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm planning on putting the superlites on it, but using the stock LS1 drum parking brake setup. All it would take to put the LS1 calipers on is to just bolt them on after I get the spacer plate/caliper brackets (doubles as both). Heck the way I'm setting it up I could put both sets of calipers on. If the superlites don't work out I can just use the LS1's. Just unbolt the superlites and bolt on the LS1's.

I'm just so surprised that everyone I've talked to even Currie says this can't be done with the small bearing 31 spine axles. Another guy married explorer drum brake setup to the LS1 disks, and then did extensive welding/fabricating on the brackets to get the calipers on. This was just so simple, and having a second set of LS1 brakes made it much easier instead of tearing my car apart to do this.

alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my caliper brackets yesterday. The guy did a great job for $25 including material. I designed them and emailed him the file. Easy as can be. He is a little ways out......Beavercreek but it's an easy drive.

Started drilling my axles for the new studs, but one of them is hard...............very damned hard. Glad I know how to sharpen drill bits.

If anyone needs front caliper brackets this guy is a good cheap alternative. Great work and fast turn around time. The bracket designs are online for most front brake conversions.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind passing on his info? I'm hankering for some new brakes. Very Happy
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go. Tell him Dan referred you. I told him I have buddies that might need some parts.

http://www.precisioncnc.info/index.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: