Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "What is this and where does it go?" thread...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: The "What is this and where does it go?" thread... Reply with quote

Okay, it's been 2 years since I took apart the interior and I'm having trouble figuring out how it all goes together. This will be the first questions of many, I'm sure.

Question #1: Where does the fuse block go that holds the power seat fuse, VATS fuse, flasher relay, etc. I can't figure out where and what it mounts to. It has to be somewhere to the right side of the steering column. It mounts with 2 screws on one end, and 2 clips on the other. I do not have the big plastic dash in place yet. Maybe it mounts to that?

Question #2: What color and size are the stereo front speaker wires? I can't find my front speakers to match the connector. (I have no idea where I put them.) I guess I'll have to buy aftermarket speakers but I need to know which wires to connect. I'm guessing they are YELLOW and PURPLE wires, roughly 10 AWG, that come from the far back left of the firewall.

Question #3: There are a few J hooks behind the dash that hold wiring harness in place. I'm still working on where those go, too. If anybody knows, I would appreciate the help.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front speaker wires are small gauge, and always in molded pairs (like a lamp cord). I want to say left is green and right is brown. I may have that backwards though. The 10ga purple and yellow are starter relay wires. Don't mess with those. Razz
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Laughing Good thing that I asked.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The "What is this and where does it go?" threa Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:

Question #1: Where does the fuse block go that holds the power seat fuse, VATS fuse, flasher relay, etc. I can't figure out where and what it mounts to. It has to be somewhere to the right side of the steering column. It mounts with 2 screws on one end, and 2 clips on the other. I do not have the big plastic dash in place yet. Maybe it mounts to that?

it does indeed. mounts to the bracket that holds the diagnostic link. see photos.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks for the photos. Cool
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
The 10ga purple and yellow are starter relay wires. Don't mess with those. Razz

Those wires turned out to be the clutch safety relay.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The "What is this and where does it go?" threa Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
QwkTrip wrote:

it does indeed. mounts to the bracket that holds the diagnostic link. see photos.

I've got everything together on the driver side except that. Mine just doesn't look like what you posted and I still can't figure out where things bolt up. Anybody have pictures from a 2.8L car?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that there is a metal bracket holding all that stuff, and I don't have it installed. I'll start looking for that piece in my pile of parts.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the bracket that holds the fuse block and datalink connector. Is it held in place by just two screws to the front of the dash, or is this bracket (picture below) hook in for rear support? If not, then what is this bracket for? The bracket was bare metal and I painted it, so don't let that confuse you.

Nevermind the bandaid on my finger. Every time I touch my freaking car I draw blood. It's like a tradition.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
aaron_sK wrote:
The 10ga purple and yellow are starter relay wires. Don't mess with those. Razz

Those wires turned out to be the clutch safety relay.

Yup. The starter relay is triggered through the clutch lockout switch. That way you cant start the car without depressing the clutch. Wink

QwkTrip wrote:
I found the bracket that holds the fuse block and datalink connector.

That is the wrong bracket. I just pulled one apart a few hours ago, lemme go grab some pics...
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I said it in a confusing way. I found the correct bracket and put it in the car and the driving side wiring is all done. However, the bracket in the photo is still left over and I'm wondering what it is for. It has a special bronze coated screw in the cylinderical standoff.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... I see now.

I did not see anything like that bracket anywhere pulling that Camaro apart today.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pull apart the passenger side, too? I was guessing it goes over there somewhere.

I think the bracket is for support somewhere and doesn't actually hold anything. But I'm not sure.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole dash is out down to the firewall. May have been a Firebird only thing, or something I missed.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. I have a faint memory that it might be a support for the center console or center stack. I have a 4th gen console now so it may not even be needed. I'll pull my original console off the shelf and see if it fits somewhere. If not, then screw it. Laughing Actually, I better find out where it goes. Sad

Thanks for the help! Smile Cool
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a support bracket for the dash. It hangs down from just below the window and connects to the bottom of the dash just above the radio pod.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be Bird only bracket. Both my Camaros had that part, but it's about three inches wide, and has four screws instead of two. It attaches to the firewall right under the windshield, and comes down to about the top of the HVAC controls.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Aaron, need your expertise again. It's been so long that I can't remember!

1. What do the two connectors go to that come from the firewall by the heater hose?

2. And why are there two vacuum lines in that same bundle? Where did they go originally? (2.8L V6 multiport)

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What HVAC options did the car come with?

1) The single red wire looks like the feeder for the blower relay and hood light, but it seems to be a lower gauge than that wire should be.

The black connector looks like it may be for the aircon, judging by the wire colors.

2) One of the vacuum lines is the feeder for the HVAC select dial in the dash. It went to one of the small ports on the back of the plenum. The other is the switch line coming back from that dial for the presumably now non-existent heater core bypass valve. If you can't figure out which is which by the length or shape, you may have to resort to blowing a little bit of air down each one.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blower motor is wired up to original connector. I'm thinking the red could have been for the ignition coil? I seem to remember keeping that in place with the big block swap.

The other connector is melted from a short. I remember one of the relays on the firewall failing when I hooked up the battery many years ago to close the rear hatch. I'm going to hunt those down and see which one failed.

It's a factor a/c car with manual controls, and no cruise control. I think I can guess which vacuum tube is which by the direction they are bent. I still have the bits and pieces of the old vacuum lines so I might be able to reconstruct. I have a pretty big cam so HVAC might do weird things at idle and WOT Laughing

What is this "vacuum ball" I keep hearing about but have never seen? Does it exist?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: