Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My car needs a tune....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: My car needs a tune.... Reply with quote

Anyone know some one local that can tune an old school MAF settup? A couple weeks ago I took it to PR and was really dissapointed with the results. On both passes the CEL came on midway through 2nd gear, and I thought I heard pinging, but it was hard to tell with a helmet on. I took the car out tonight and noticed that it pinged alot on 2nd gear at WOT. It ran a 13.5 at 104, slower than the last settup. I think it is running really lean, which it did with the old settup also.

Anyhow, does anyone know a local tuner that can tune a late 80's MAF settup?
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the penguin around the area? (Speed Secrets EFI in Snohomish).

I've had good luck with Vince @ Trifecta Performance. http://www.trifectaperformance.com/ He tuned my mom's vette and picked up 30hp on the stock LS2. He's also going to tune her new Denali. His website says he can do obdI stuff. Might give him a jingle.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Secrets = Ellis Groo? I have contacted him but theres some bagage between Ellis and I. My brother has had him work on his GTO and mentioned tuning my car, sounds like he is leaning towards swapping computers with a LSx model.

LSx computers are alot more usure freindly than early MAF settups. I really dont want to confirt ECM's. If it took that I would yank the T-Ram, install the HSR and sell the car. Wouldnt mind owning a C6 corvette or 5th gen Camaro instead of the IROC. The only thing tying me to the IROC is that I have owned it for 20 years.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first.

IMHO You've at the ends witts with the stock computer. Same reasons Mike and I switch to the Commander 950. Never looked back.

What did the MIL code say?

You need a wideband to tune it. Preferably with another person or on a dyno.

It's been my limited experiance that the tuners for thirdgens professionally... aren't very good, because it's an archaic system.

With Mike's setup we never had the MIL come on for us. We switched because we were out of parameters to get where we wanted to be. The c950 has proven better drivability also.

izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander 950 = User friendly very nice system. I have used this to tune on the dyno a few times and have been very satisfied with it!

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
IROCDave

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing about the CEL coming on is that it didnt set a code. I had my scanner plugged in and monitoring on both passes. No code.

Is the 950 plug and play? I would imagine that the wiring harness would need to be repinned?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not plug and play. The sensors are the same except the C950 uses a 3 wire heated O2. You give the 950 Bat Power, Switched power, Ground and plug in the sensors.

Don't know why the MIL would come on without storing a code unless you've got something electrical or bad connection on the prom or something.

IROCDave

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the 950 out, looks like it does the job of managing the engine, but how do you control the fans, convertor lockup, cruise control, gauges etc?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has a pinout of the Fans and A/C for fan.

No converter lockup. You'll need an aftermarket vacuum/speed based lockup for it.

Only gauge that has anything to do with the ECM is the TACH and that's off the coil. Speed is cable/vss, fuel is fuel, oil pressure is on the engine, coolant temp is on the engine, Volts is wiring, etc.

Cruise control goes through a VSS buffer. If you have a stock Cable driven speedo, the buffer is on the back of the speedo. If it's VSS the buffer IIRC is a box on the ECM. ECM doesn't control cruise.

Mike's cruise works fine. Mine doesn't because I ditched the Mech speedo for an electric. The autometer I have has a built in buffer but I don't know if they mesh well or not. Cruise didn't work before I did mine anyway.

Mangus

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
IMHO You've at the ends witts with the stock computer.

I'm curious to know what this is based on. Outside of running boost, what can't this ('165, I presume) stock ECU do? (and if boost is the desire, move to a '7730).

Aftermarket ecu setups are expensive and can be as much or more work than staying stock. I know of a few 650+ HP motors purring like kittens with stock ECUs. Stock ECU code has come a long way.

Just wondering; ultimately your gold is yours to spend however you see (or don't see) fit.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:

Cruise control goes through a VSS buffer. If you have a stock Cable driven speedo, the buffer is on the back of the speedo. If it's VSS the buffer IIRC is a box on the ECM. ECM doesn't control cruise.

The VSS box atleast on a 91 camaro is screwed to the bottom of the dash on the passanger side. IIRC the vss goes to the buffer, then over to the ecm and to cruise if equipped. Again, IIRC the reason for this is one of the devices needs a 2000ppm, while the other needs a 4000ppm.

I have the LS1 pcm setup in my car. I really dont know jack about tuning and I have made it work on my car. Biggest issue I have is the desired air for different air temps. I have to set it for a "winter tune" and a "summer tune". No shop around here will touch it due to it being a "non stock setup". No shizzle shirlock, if I was stock I wouldnt need a tune.

20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: