Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spohn or hotchkis... or who?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now for my next question... how hard would it be to do all my shocks, springs myself to save some money? i heard i can take the whole assembly somewhere and the springs pressed on so i dont have to.. if i did that would installing all 4 corners be easy or...also.. if im going to be buying lca's, panhard, sway bars... is a poly kit worth it or will most of it be replaced with new items?.. damn i feel like i got too many questions...

Tim

1997 Z28 PCMforLess tune, K&N CAI, trickflow elbow, 160 thermostat, edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster 3", 18" cragars.
Best 1/4 - 13.8 @ 101.98 60' 2.27
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its pretty easy. by far the hardest part will be taking the front springs out. if you rent a spring compressor, it isn't too bad. The only part you won't be able to do, is a-arm bushings, they have to be pressed, but you can take the a-arm and bushings to a shop and have them press them for you, then you can just re-install the a-arm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
92RS shearn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear is very easy. The PHB is just unbolt and install the new stuff. The LCAs may be a PITA. They are easy to unbolt, but those rubber grommets may hold fast to the bolts and not allow for an easy for the reinstall, same for the front too. On the rear I used a cutoff wheel on the two bolts that were attaching it to the chassis. I didnt bother with the other two as I was replacing the rear at the same time. The springs are very easy, when you replace the shocks the springs will just fall out.

I just redid my whole front suspension a few weeks ago and it isn't too bad, I didnt use a spring compressor but it would have made things easier. I only had to cut off one bolt on the front A arms. I got the ball joints and bushings removed and reinstalled for free so I am not sure how much it would be.
Brisk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late for this, but hotchkis makes a TVS system (total vehicle system) for third gens... great package for about $1500 cdn.. lca's, panhard, tie rod, springs, etc.. I'm seriously considering this system myself.
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is pretty nice, ive got a bit of stuff now, all for my 4th gen..

Hotchkis subframes, lca's, panhard, springs are sittin in garage next to my new koni adjustables... should get this project started in about 2 weeks.

1997 Z28 PCMforLess tune, K&N CAI, trickflow elbow, 160 thermostat, edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster 3", 18" cragars.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
If you can spend the money, get the bilsteins. Better dampers are always worth it.

Ditto. I'm running the bilsteins with trimmed sportlines and I love it. But I haven't had the car long enough to try other shocks. They're worlds better than the stock shocks/springs/struts. Not that that means anything; the stockers were pretty worn.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Dewey316 wrote:
If you can spend the money, get the bilsteins. Better dampers are always worth it.

Ditto. I'm running the bilsteins with trimmed sportlines and I love it. But I haven't had the car long enough to try other shocks. They're worlds better than the stock shocks/springs/struts. Not that that means anything; the stockers were pretty worn.

Ended up buy koni adjustable on all 4 corners...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: