Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LS1 rear upgrade started....Finished!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: LS1 rear upgrade started....Finished!! Reply with quote

I figured since I had the rear end apart to replace an axle shaft, I may as well start the bigger brake upgrade to the rear. I already have about 95% of the stuff I need to do this, I only lack some brake lines and fittings which I can't really figure out until I get the brakes on the car.

This is the cast iron caliper setup on the driver side.

Caliper and axle shaft removed, leaving the backing plate, and the backing plate removed..

In progression, new backing plate with parking brake shoe, new rotor, caliper bracket, caliper and pads and a test fit with the wheel.

Last edited by Al Hasse on Fri May 22, 2009 2:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking sharp! I hope to get my fronts on someday Rolling Eyes That ebrake shoe is weird. Just one piece huh?
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, just one piece. You can see the adjusting wheel at the bottom of the backing plate, pretty nice setup.

I also found out that the backing plate only fits one way, must be true for the old ones too. I somehow got one turned 90* when placing it against the axle flange (thought I had the e-brake adjuster to the bottom), then the bolts wouldn't line up Laughing Looked at it one more time and thought "how did I get it turned like that?" - Funny how things go together when they're lined up correctly Laughing
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea! lookin good Al! Very Happy

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bAd DaWg 85 Z28

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya been there done that gee hope no one saw that hehe Very Happy looks good man.
65 Chevy sport truck
85 K20 4x4 truck
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good so far al!

Keep us posted on the progress.

T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention Al was that I removed the ABS sensors and used a small 7/8" plastic push in plugs I got at Lowes. I think the cost was $.75 each. They come on black and white as I recall. I figured since I would never use the sensors why not remove them and plug the holes up.

www.t5cablespeedometer.com
www.t56cablespeedometer.com

Ronald Reagan: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be where the depression is to the rear of the backing plate? If so, then mine didn't come with the sensors in them.

I'm making a parts list for my brake lines now as I want to redo the whole axle line (hard line is pretty inexpensive and easy to form). I might take your list to Belfair Hose on a day off to assemble something for me, maybe the axle T-fitting also.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just show them this pic and they should easily be able to make the hoses up for you. I think the hose itself was only 4" long, but don't hold me to that measurement. Measure for yourself.

Here is a pic of the backing plate. The hole is the one on the right. A 7/8" plug fits nicely, and the axle flange slightly overlaps the plug when you bolt the backing plate on so there is no chance of it falling out.

If I go out and about today I'll try and find one of the plugs and take a pic of it for you.

Ronald Reagan: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock hose is only 5" plus the crimps. The 90* fitting in your setup could very well use the same length hose as that would relieve alot of strain.

My backing plates didn't come ready for the ABS sensors as the hole isn't punched out. I was wondering what that depression was for when I was cleaning and painting them up.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me 4" of hose is plenty of strain relief. The 4th gen rear is about 2" wider per side, and the LCA lower mount where the brake hose attaches is in the exact same location as a 3rd gen axle, so you are 2" less distance the hose has to reach using the 4th gen brakes on a narrower 3rd gen axle housing. The distance is so short that's why I used a 90 deg. fitting so the hose won't be in a bad bend. Mount the stock hose up and you will see what I mean. And you can easily use the stock hose to get a length measurement.

I actually could have went an even shorter hose and it would have worked perfectly, but I made the hoses up myself and even the 4" hose was difficult to make using the reusable style fittings. There just isn’t much hose to grab on to when making them up.

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get your hose and fittings from? Did you have to do any crimping? from your picture, it almost looks like a compression type fitting on the hose.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my parts from Oil Filter Service in Portland. And they aren't crimped, they are reusable fittings and use a small ferrule. The size is -3. You push the barrel onto the hose first, then you have to push the small ferrule into the hose end and make sure it's seated completely. Then you insert the male hose fitting into the hose and slide the barrel up and tighten it down. I made this sound easy, but getting that little ferrule to seat can be a pain. After the first one or two you will be a pro at making them.

To cut the line wrap the hose with electrical or duct tape, and clamp in a vise and use at least a 32 tooth hacksaw blade to cut it with. You need a clean cut so the ends aren't unraveled.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always just use AN lines. That's what I did for my rear brakes. Banjo to AN line. Ran premade AN lines the length I needed to AN fittings adapted to the hardline.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost as far as I can go now without making the new flex lines. I'm trying my hand at making new hard lines on the axle with the stuff NAPA has. I got two 6' pieces with the correct fittings on them, just need to cut to bend and cut to length and flare the cut end. The stuff is cheap enough so that if I mess up, it's easy enough to get a new piece. I need a day off during the week to make a trip to Belfair Hose & Supply so I can have them make up those flex lines, including the T-block - that would be easiest for me.

In the mean time, I'll see about the e-brake cables and brackets - time to drop the drive line and torque arm to make room to work. Hey Dan, how did you remove the e-brake cable bracket from your car to make room for the 4th gen bracket?
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of how someone else did it on TGO. They cut the front of the 4th gen braket off and used it with the third gen front bracket. I wanted to have the cables spaced the correct distance from the front cable, so I just cut off the front bracket behind the bend with my die grinder and mounted the complete 4th gen bracket. Works perfectly.

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you just cut the tabs (for lack of a better term) from the bracket and left the body of it in place? I gather you left the guides for the rear cables in place too.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it. That's exactly what I did.

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, now to see if my angle grinder will fit up there - might have to remove the guard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: