Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let it ice, let it ice, let it ice!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Let it ice, let it ice, let it ice! Reply with quote

You would think you were living in Portland.... scheduled to get 1" of ice tonight in Illinois. Better take the de-icer out of the car since I won't be able to open the door to use it. Wink
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's as bad or worse than locking your keys in the car Laughing
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ice is crazy stuff. Hopefully IL fairs better than the poor folks in New England. Good luck Jon, and stay safe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been crazy weather thats for darn sure!

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
GREG DAVIDSON

1989 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dam qwk !!! i dont miss the midwest at all !!! i still keep up on all the weather back there still have alot of friends and family there i hear its still pretty bad in wisc where im from wich is bout an hour and a half from deb iowa
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was more like 1/2 inch at best. But that's still a significant amount! Nice and pretty on all the trees. We'll get snow on top of that Saturday and Sunday with -2F temp and -20F wind chill. I think it's going to stick around for a while. Wink

Oh ya... word of advice. Remove ice from the hood of the vehicle before driving. I had a huge sheet fly off and slam into the windshield. I was on the phone and my friend thought I got in an accident from the sound. Very Happy
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I may have to get some of that deicer too. I went out to get something out of the car tonight and found the latching mechanism had frozen. I tried to shut the door and it bounced back open on me. I had to use a little butane torch to heat up the mechanism in the door enough for it to move freely. Looks like now it needs a good bit of white lithium grease in the latch after a good cleaning.
GREG DAVIDSON

1989 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why im here now qwk thats why im here now ! Laughing and not complaining to much just wish they'd drop a plow !
Richster
Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i pull up the drive way, park, e-brake, take off my seat belt turned to get my brief case and suddenly the neighbors drive across the street was heading my way! Bye bye I was like hey what's for dinner? as my big-ol Blazer starts to slide down the drive...Shocked Great fun..no damage Holiday grin so now theres a chunck of 4X4 behind the tire, just in case!
I've lived in this house 18 years and this was a first.
Normally the tires are frozen to the ground compliments of the freezing rain.

The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, welcome to Gresham Rich. My camaro did that at least once every year when I lived at my parents house! Luckily my driveway at my last house, and this one have both been flat!

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me last winter. I came outside for another load of groceries and thought to myself, I didn't leave the Cherokee there. Confused I put it back up in the driveway, started to walk away with another handful of groceries when I hear a soft noise, "sssssshhhhhhhhhhh". I turn around and see the rear tires sliding and the front turning as it goes down the driveway again! Laughing

In my case, leaving it in 4WD fixes the problem. It just won't slide with both the front and rear holding.
Richster
Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did and it was in 4whl hi, that ice is freaky stuff! and it was a surreal feeling to see the neighbors driveway heading my way, i was turned around grabbing my case and looked up and was like what the heck! Shocked
of course let me try the brakes, dah that didn't work so well, and it is brutal today and the wind is kicking!
So all Crewbies, Be Safe out there!

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the 88 and up gm full size 4x4s.. The front axle is locked in with a thermally heated gas piston. As soon as it cools down your 4x4 disengages. Get in deep water, it disengages, bury front axle in snow.. yes it disengages, shut off truck you guessed it.
Vaneat-91RS

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've all battened down the hatches, right? Shrug This weekend may be the worst yet for me in terms of weather, and likely the rest of you too. So stay warm. Its likely to be a three dog night with the wind and snow predicted here. Laughing

I like the colder temps, it makes driving a bit easier since the snow doesn't go straight to ice pack immediately. Cool at Christmas time

Justin
Richster
Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Brutal Wind Reply with quote

From The East hill in Gresham:
The wind is a killer Mad and the snow has turned more to ice, and it hurts when it pelts your skin. It is way ugly, well actually it's a cool thing to watch! from inside with a beer in hand! Holiday grin
Getting the house dialed in for the relatives & festive times Drinkin and singin
With or Without relatives Laughing Down the hatch

Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Snow Removal Required! Let The East wind do it for you... Exclamation
The only vehicle that has been used is the Blazer, and it was still snow covered when we returned home, well other than the hood & windsheild.

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we onley have 2 cars out of 5 that can be used our 03 trailblazer and a 94 bronco and the bronco has a bad break fluid leak and the blazers 4wheel went out and its now at the stealership Rolling Eyes now down to one car thats a hazzared and a bunch of people that need to get to work. ice sucks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: