Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Stolen! Reply with quote

Dear Dewey-Lama,

Recently there was something posted on this site that gave me a bit of a shiver, reguarding the ease of "hackers" to steal vital personal information, literally out of thin air. I myself am not a computer-savy man (i.e. a nerd), so the idea that nerds are exacting their revenge for all the wedgies they got, is quite frightening to be (mostly because I gave a lot of wedgies...) To think if these people could steal financial information, what's to stop them from going back and altering, say, my 8th grade report card?

However after reading the article, my nerves calmed a bit and as someone put it "the clandestine meeting of the programming gurus" and the central unveiler of this "flaw" with a job title of "director of penetration testing", make me think this is all a joke to make all us dumb guys get nervous.

I know you're the go-to-nerd about computer-like things. What say you?

--Hacking it on the interweb.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Hacked,

Yes, we all know the interweb is a big and scary place. Much like the Delta quadrant in Star Trek. Although it sure sounds like there are quite a few nerds who may wish revenge on your for the wedgies, most of them are probably not trying to change your 8th grade report card. Most likely, they are to busy pretending to be 15 year old girls online, or playing WOW.

The article that you read, was a much larger scale issue, that would have involved someone redirecting traffic from a legit website, to a complete copy of the website, in another location. Most of these stories that make the evening news, are just as much about scare value, and it seems as if it has worked.

The solution is easy. Set CascadeCrew.org as your home page, and don't worry. No one here will change your report card, and there is only a small handfull of members who pretend to yound females. The biggest key to the internet, is just to not post personal information, such as address, phone number, e-mail etc.

Your only other option, is to cut your phone lines, turn your computer off, buy 9 years worth of canned beans, cover your front yard in land mines, board up your windows, and head to the fall-out shelter. This will ensure that none of them commi-nerds will ever take you alive. (Note: If you plan to go this route, send a carrier pidgen with a message to me, I am starting a small company that is manufacturing tin-foil hats. You will need it to keep the NSA from brain-scanning you, and giving the information over to the nerds!)

Keeping it wraped on zee interveb.
-The Lama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Dear Lama All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: