Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C5 Z06 vs. the new C6 base model...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: C5 Z06 vs. the new C6 base model... Reply with quote

kind of makes you wonder...

405hp LS6 5.7 vs. the new 405+hp LS2 (not sure if its 6.0 or not)...

hard choice one thinks...

however, when they do the Z06 C6 with a bit over 500hp, the decision will be clear (or when they do the 600hp limited ZL1 C6, the decision will be extremely obvious)...

I like the new C6, it has more of an effect on me than the C5 did when it was first coming out... and I grew to love the C5 after awhile...

Some people might not like it though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of reminds me of a viper.

The thing that continues to kill me with the corvette is the rear. It just ends. And I cant get over that, it is so ugly to me.

Our cars 'just end' as well, but we have that rear bumper to sort of carry of the curves to a nice conclusion.

That and rumor was f-body's demise was spelled out because the corvette was losing sales to her cousin cars that had equal power for a fraction of the price.

Oh well... That is just my opinion.

12sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only reason the f-body was killed was because of 2003 crash test standards, wouldn't pass, otherwise they'd have continued on with the f-body platform
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll wait to see how the 5th gen Camaro looks, because if it looks nice, it will be even easier to choose it over the vette: Less than half the price, almost the same performance, hopefully great looks, and people don't automatically assume you own it to compensate for other, um, shortcomings shall we say! Very Happy
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS2 is 6.0L and it is rated at 400 hp. It does make the same torque as the LS6 but at 400 rpms less. Gonna make the next Z06 interesting eh?

There is a pretty good write up in the Feb Car and Driver. The car has been worked over more than it looks like.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:
only reason the f-body was killed was because of 2003 crash test standards, wouldn't pass, otherwise they'd have continued on with the f-body platform

No, I don't believe they would have. One of the things 'they' were fussing about is the the Mustang was outselling the Camaros and Firebirds combined over 2 to1.

I think that if GM had even bothered to MARKET or ADVERTISE either of them, they might have had SOME more sales.

Those friggin' idiots! The only commercials for either Chev. or Pontiac barely skimmed the F-bodies, if they bothered to show them at all

I HATED THEM FOR THAT!!! Still do, I guess. Took away a tradition, not just a car (or 2!) (bastards!)

My 2 pennies...
sllt1776

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like they are finally getting rid of the flip up head lights. i was wondering when that would happen. free up a few pounds and less stuff to break. i hope the bring the f-body back too. i miss the choice of a poor mans vette.
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PonchoTA wrote:
No, I don't believe they would have. One of the things 'they' were fussing about is the the Mustang was outselling the Camaros and Firebirds combined over 2 to1.

I think that if GM had even bothered to MARKET or ADVERTISE either of them, they might have had SOME more sales.

Those friggin' idiots! The only commercials for either Chev. or Pontiac barely skimmed the F-bodies, if they bothered to show them at all

I HATED THEM FOR THAT!!! Still do, I guess. Took away a tradition, not just a car (or 2!) (bastards!)

My 2 pennies...
Preach on, brotha!!! I feel EXACTLY the same. I almost wrote that same reply earlier, but was too tired at the time, lol. They completely abandoned the F-bodies for years, spent almost no time or money on them, and eventually customers also abandoned them. It's disgusting that they let the crappy Rustang win the pony-car competition by default. The GM suits that made the decision to drop the F-body need to be fired, then flogged by every F-body fan who realizes what an opportunity they missed! Evil or Very Mad
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. The new base v8 mustang is 300hp!

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poncho hit it. what all of the factors that went into the end of the f-cars was, we will never know, speculating about crash standards, the fact that the lease on the canadian plant was up. cost of re-tooling a factory for the new cars vs sales. i am sure that all played into it. GM is a corporation, they need to watch their bottom line, and the f-cars were not pulling their finacial weight.

personaly i like the nose of the C5 better, and the back of the C6. heck i would take either if i got the chance Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
GM is a corporation, they need to watch their bottom line, and the f-cars were not pulling their finacial weight.

That is crap though, I mean when a sales started to dwindle they should of started an ad campaign. Granted getting a new lease on the plant, and re-tooling everything would have costed money, but at the same time it isnt like retiring an entire body of cars is a cheap task.

I think someone up high had a grudge against f-body's, he probably had a mustang when he was in high school or something.

Because if sales EVER dwindled for the Chevy Lovechild known as Corvette then we would never be able to escape it, Chevy would stick the corvette up our ass. Advertising it on popcans, wheaties boxes, commercial..etc.

If GM had to decide whether to retire the 'vette, or spend money to sponsor CORVETTE STADIUM, they would damn well spend the money.

It is complete crap. So what mustangs were selling f-bodies 2 to 1, that is better then 2-0. On top of that, GM lost a whole market of people who wanted a pony car.

Instead of choosing between the mustang and a firebird, now the consumer can only choose the mustang. And I bet once he buys a mustang, his next truck will be an F150, and the first car he buys for his daughter will be a focus.

In my opinion GM alienated a whole consumer group.

Frankly, between dropping the f-body and pretty much putting into extinction high performance combos of manual transmission and high power engines I am done with GM.

If I ever have to buy a new vehicle you can bet your ass it is going to be a MOPAR.

And that is my bottom line.

Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:

Instead of choosing between the mustang and a firebird, now the consumer can only choose the mustang. And I bet once he buys a mustang, his next truck will be an F150, and the first car he buys for his daughter will be a focus.

Thats a good point. Bad scanario for GM though....

Think on top of the lack of advertizing, that the average Joe/Jane don't really buy F-body's (especially 4th Gen's, older ones did well enough) You see hundred's of V6 Mustang's everywhere with every demographic imaginable behind the wheel. While its basically people like us that buy the F-body's for a pure performance machine.

I also recall hearing somewhere that the lease on the St. Therese plant was a bad one for GM where the plant got paid for X cars even if they produced less than that :scratches head:
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the appeal of the mustang has other factors,

i hear from members of the opposite sex, that getting into a f-car in a skirt is not a fun task Wink other things such as the rather boring look of most of the 4thgens, compared to retro styling (i don't like, but obvoiusly people do) look of the stangs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i hear from members of the opposite sex, that getting into a f-car in a skirt is not a fun task

I dunno, I have fun watching Jen get into her's with a skirt. Razz Twisted Evil
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
Quote:
i hear from members of the opposite sex, that getting into a f-car in a skirt is not a fun task

I dunno, I have fun watching Jen get into her's with a skirt. Razz Twisted Evil

Yeah, now if only I could get mine into a skirt......
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have enough money to own onw of those brand new she sont care what she looks like gittin in or out with a skirt on
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I had the money to own either of those I'd tell her to forget the skirt and just hop in naked Surprised
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:

Yeah, now if only I could get mine into a skirt......

Yeah, now if I could only get mine to begin with..
Stupid girls and their lack of interest.

The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Sun wrote:
Yeah, now if I could only get mine to begin with..
Stupid girls and their lack of interest.

i think we have a single guy epadimic here in the crew.

<---- single.
rscamaro89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:
if I had the money to own either of those I'd tell her to forget the skirt and just hop in naked Surprised

I like that idea better....Don't think my wife would go for it though, but yes, I do agree with everyone else that it is fun watching the women get into our cars with skirts on Lovey lovey Very Happy

Niko: She looks cut in half.
Tim: Oh wow—she's one of those pole dancers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: