Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!! Need rear pad clip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
88GTAJim

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Help!! Need rear pad clip Reply with quote

I just installed the driver side rear caliper and pulled the passenger side and found that the inner pad clip is missing. Does anyone have one of these or know where to get one? I haven't checked the part store yet but looked online and can't find one. The GM part number for this is 18007444 and it is no longer available. The clip they included with the pads is for front brakes with the hollowed out piston. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't figure out what was different looking on that caliper from mine. Not until I read only the fronts have hollowed out pistons. My new ones have the same hollow pistons as the fronts do, and if memory serves, so did the old ones I used as cores, they were from a 1982 T/A. Hope you find one, those calipers are expensive if you go that route, but the core charge is more.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front and Rear calipers have hollowed pistons and the clips are different and come with the pads.
88GTAJim

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, I wouldn't think that camaro's and firebirds would be different. I have the factory parts and assembly manual for 1982 to 1992 F body pontiacs and from 1982 to 1988 uses pretty much the same setup. 1989 to 1992 used the 1LE style rears but they still do not have hollowed out pistons. How would you have e-brakes with the hollowed out pistons?

I bought new calipers, rotors, and pads and paid dearly for them. It was about $150 for the calipers and $180 for the core. You would think they would come with this simple little spring clip. I called the parts store and they don't list anything like this. This sucks. Confused Bashy Bashy

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got the rear of mine in the air. I can take a look in a bit to see for sure what's there, but I'm positive I used the same style clip as on the front.

Come to think of it, the calipers I used for cores were just like those, but I didn't see a clip like that on them.

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one apart. Apparently, the clip isn't in there anymore. The caliper looks just like the one you have pictured. The caliper bolts are effectively holding the pad in place.
88GTAJim

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Al, I hadn't thought about the caliper bolts holding them in place. I'll bet they are mostly to keep them in place while mounting onto the car. I may have no choice but to leave them off. At least on the passenger side.
88GTAJim

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've decided not to put mine back together without all the parts that are suppose to be in there. Call me anal, but I just have a real problem with that. So if anybody else has any suggestions I would appreciate them.
88GTAJim

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally found one. I cannot believe how hard a part like this was to find. They include them on loaded calipers so someone makes them. They just don't sell them to the general public. This is really what is commonly called an anti-rattle clip. I was referred to a brake out fit called South Side Brake in Tacoma. I just got back with a USED clip. $2 for clip, $17 for gas.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it basically hold the pad against the rotor then? I've never noticed them before.
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

88GTAJim wrote:
Well I finally found one. I cannot believe how hard a part like this was to find. They include them on loaded calipers so someone makes them. They just don't sell them to the general public. This is really what is commonly called an anti-rattle clip. I was referred to a brake out fit called South Side Brake in Tacoma. I just got back with a USED clip. $2 for clip, $17 for gas.

I regularly deal with South Side Brake Company. Those guys are awesome and have found or referred me to someone who could find anything brake wise I've been curious about. Even when I was thinking about a secondary mechanical caliper as an ebrake. Them and Olympic Brake, but Oly Brake guys aren't quite as nice. You should find a shop nearby and ask them if they deal with Oly Brake or South Side, they both deliver for free to commercial accounts.
88GTAJim

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue89 wrote:
Does it basically hold the pad against the rotor then? I've never noticed them before.

It actually holds the pad against the caliper (I think that's what you meant anyway) to keep it from rattling. As Al pointed out, the caliper bolts will keep the pads in place, just wont keep them from rattling. The factory service manual actually tells you to bend the tabs on the outer pad to take up any movement they may have too.

88GTAJim

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
You should find a shop nearby and ask them if they deal with Oly Brake or South Side, they both deliver for free to commercial accounts.

I'll look into that. Thanks. Yeah they were really nice!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: