Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windsheild Removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Bird

1991 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Windsheild Removal Reply with quote

So my car failed tech at the last auto-x cuz my windsheild was too cracked in my line of sight. I found a car with a clean windsheild to pull and swap in, but i have never attempted to remove a windsheild before. Any suggestions? i have heard that i should use piano wire, to get thru the molding. I called parts stores to see if they have any similar type wire but they were not very helpfull. any suggestions would be most appreciated. thx
kenf729

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I tried to pull one, ended up cracking it...I used the windshield tool that has the blade and T handle to pull on...but I couldn't get it at the bottom, I would think wire to saw back and forth might help.

My windshield started to leak bad, so I brought it down to a shop, they replaced with a new one for $160.00 (I think) been a while.

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the one out of my 87 with a piece of solid somewhat flexible wire and just did the saw method.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The butyl rubber that seals the window in becomes really brittle when it ages. when you use the pull method it tends to break the glass. The only way to do it is to saw through it with a wire. I was in the same boat a while ago. Ended up breaking my nice window cause I did it your way.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had mine replaced today. 177 after tax.

Guy used a wodden L blade, that had a rope n handle on it for the top and sides.

Used a modified battery sawz-all on the bottom.
Red Bird

1991 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: windshield Reply with quote

so i went down to pull it with some abrasive wire, but cracked the windshield trying to get the wire through the molding on the a pillar so that i could begin sawing:( much harder that i thought it would be, im just gonna shell out the dough to have someone swap it out. thx for the replies guys.

Isaac

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad and i pulled a windshield on a nova once, we just ran through that rubber with a box knife trid pulling, cut some more, and some more.. then pulled the windshield out, cutting more as we pulled. came out in one piece.

was a shame to break it moments later throwing it into his trash barrel. Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: