Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok i really hate cars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Ok i really hate cars Reply with quote

Ok i am not sure what to do at all. I want to build this 400 SB but now im like not even sure... thinkin about buyin an LT1 for my thirdgen too... whats this swap consist of? cause i get my t5 hooked up to it or shall i just get a lt1 t56 package? prolly gonna stay with the 400 but i like my lt1 and it just runs so much easier than my carb ever did hehe.. anyway let me know i could have this 400sb to go for cheap.

Tim
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when doing the lt1 swap in a thirdgen... don't listen to the folks on TGO thats all I can say... two guys down here in texas, one a wellknown thirdgenner with a beautiful 92 RS Convertible did the swap and had relocate the passenger side motor mount about 7/8 of an inch towards the rear... the other guy is doing the swap currently and lives maybe 15 miles from the first, and tried going by TGO's advice and had everything ready to go in, put the engine in, and had to pull it out again because of the mount :rofl:

Fredo92 is the guys AIM... get ahold of him and he'll give ya all the details you need about the swap.

Soon to be less than stock
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT1's are too expensive for the end result,in the end you have 285hp,unless of course you mod it before installation,but that just raises the cost of the swap,LT4 changeover would be hot,probably run at least mid 12s in a decently prepped 3rd gen.

an lt1 would pop your t5 in a heartbeat the instant you got traction,so 4L60E,700r,or t56 is pretty much a must. most decent LT1,with tranny combo's sell for around 3k,to 3500 bucks,i sold the 97 lt1 and 6spd for 4200 bucks,with 20k some odd miles on it.there is a complete LT1,T56 combo here in the junkyard for 3500 bucks,40k miles on it i beleive.

for that you could build the hell out of the 400sb,search on ebay and you could have a fully forged rotating assembly and some really nice heads,dart,afr's,whatever you wanna run for well under 3500 bucks,and it would run circle around the LT1.

i guess it all just depends what yo uwanna do,if yo want daily driver with some power,go LT1,if yo uwant all out brute power,go carbed 400
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go LT1, I'll buy the 400 from you Wink (and I am not joking about that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

84transam383 wrote:

an lt1 would pop your t5 in a heartbeat the instant you got traction,

Laughing

The way I see it is that I have gotten a full year out of this T5 right now and it isn't showing any signs of problems. When it dies I will either repair or upgrade depending on $$'s at the time.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
84transam383 wrote:

instant you got traction,

I have gotten a full year out of this T5

i saw you at the track Wink the key work here is TRACTION. Wink Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
84transam383 wrote:

an lt1 would pop your t5 in a heartbeat the instant you got traction,

Laughing

The way I see it is that I have gotten a full year out of this T5 right now and it isn't showing any signs of problems. When it dies I will either repair or upgrade depending on $$'s at the time.
certainly makes me feel good its lasted a full year so far Smile

Soon to be less than stock
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

84transam383 wrote:
there is a complete LT1,T56 combo here in the junkyard for 3500 bucks,40k miles on it i beleive.

How much do you think I could snag just the t56 for?

Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1500 + and I believe you need some of the clutchy stuff.
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was actually sendin my tranny to someone i know in spokane and he was building my t5 for me, i figured the lt1 wouldnt pop it, and if the lt1 would.. wouldnt the 400? can i even use the t5 on a 400? i figured i could but maybe i wrong? just gotta make sure i got my 400 internally balanced so i can use the flywheel i got and i figured id be fine

Tim
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
$1500 + and I believe you need some of the clutchy stuff.
exactly what he said,almost

i can get you a T56 with,clutch,pedals,and hydraulics for 1300. of course thats used,and mileage varying,but its good stuff. B&R in albany,i get great deals through greg Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: