Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PIR (portland) Race night in June.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What day will you be able to attend?
Friday the 22nd.
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Satarday the 23rd.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

82camaro383
12sec Club

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fan is wired to turn on when the ignition is on.
redlava

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question do fans cause the alternator to create a significant amount resistance to warrent turning them off manualy. I was thinking about putting another switch in line for the fans so I would have fans off for those 15 seconds during the quarter then turn them back on after the quarter.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redlava wrote:
Question do fans cause the alternator to create a significant amount resistance to warrent turning them off manualy. I was thinking about putting another switch in line for the fans so I would have fans off for those 15 seconds during the quarter then turn them back on after the quarter.

Well you lose energy when you change it from one form to another. So with an electric fan you're changing from chemical to mechanical to electric then back to mechanical. Whereas a straight mechanical you're only going chemical straight to mechanical. So you'll use more power with an electric fan then just turning it with a belt.

BUT the advantage to an electric is that you can use the battery at high demand times and then build it back up slowly. Running the fan at all times would take away this advantage. Just like running a mechanical fan isnt needed all the time either and therefore is a waste of energy.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition to what Brandon said....

the whole point of having the fan switch on at say 190* when your thermostat opens at 170* is so the thermostat is open once the car reaches operating temperature, relying on the fanswitch to regulate the temperature. thus reducing wear on the thermostat, AND allowing the block to cool more evenly by having alot more coolant flow.

if the fan is on always, the thermostat is regulating the temperature, thus a smaller volume of coolant is flowing through the block. this, while unlikely to be serious, can allow hot spots to build.

not a huge deal, but another reason to do an electric fan, and do it properly. if you have the single fan you can replace your thermo switch for 25$ with one that comes on around 220*, then hook up a small toggle switch to allow you to turn it on at an even lower temperature, this way you regulate when the fan is on, using the thermo switch as a fail safe, in case you forget to turn the fan on. this is how my six is set up. i usually flip the switch on at 200*.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrics help heat the motor up to it's efficiency point quicker too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Event Calendar All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: