Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To use it or not to use it....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: To use it or not to use it.... Reply with quote

Well i really want to put this 91 TPI setup i have onto my car.. but im just not sure on how easy it will be? Just tryin to get some advice on how easy it would be and if it is even worth the time or if i should just stay with a carb. I am in the process of starting my 400 small block, should i put the tpi on it? or should i stay carb.. yeah i know theres a lot of stuff left i need but i thought TPI would be nice.. or maybe even the stealthram setup. Lookin on your guys opinions what you would do. Setup is gonna be 400 SB with my 5 speed, not sure what internal work on the motor im doin yet but just tryin to get advice on my fuel delivery first.
Thanks guys

Tim
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPI isn't enough for a 400. You need to not only swap the parts into your car... but you ened to do the wiring too, and maybe a chip for the engine you have now.

Dont know what your current fuel system is, but you will need a fuel pump capable of sustaining 43psi+ which means your lines need to sustain that aswell and you need a return line.
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth going to stealthram? or should i stay with the easy carb setup
Gibby85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want power above 4800 rpm, where TPI starts to weeze out no matter how you change runners and porting etc., then stick with a carb. Not to mention they take less hardware to tune. Wink

www.cardomain.com/id/gibbys85

Last edited by Gibby85 on Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell are you talking about... My stealth ram made power past 6k?

And if you can pass emissions w/ carbor don't need to pass emissions, and don't want the extra 2-3mpg.... Stay carb and save many a headache.

Besides, if the TPI is complete, I might know someone who could take it off your hands for the right price...
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs, the HSR is basicly a tunnle ram with a plenum on top, it really starts to come into its own in the upper RPMs, unlike TPI where the intake resonence starts to work against it self. the HSR would be good on a 400, but if you can go carbed, i think it is the way to go, power is probably actualy better with the carb, and it is cheaper... win win situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Roshambo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont listen to Gibby Tim, he is sharing half his brain with an evil twin (or is he the evil one?).. Confused

Anyways, like Dewey and Paul said, the HSR is great for the upper RPMs, and if you have the coin go that route because it will work on your 400. Smile

-Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... well i dont have to pass emissions ever so.. i was thinkin the stealthram would be nice but i dont feel like the headache and everything i will just stay with a carb, i liked my demon when i had it so ill go ahead and buy another one of those... finally have no motor in my car now.. its kinda nice all these wires i get to cut out... anyway thanks for the advice.. well you know for those who said carb anyway... hehehe anyway ill see if i cant get some pics up on here of work in progress and of my 4th gen also thanks again guys

Tim
Gibby85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
Gibbs, the HSR is basicly a tunnle ram with a plenum on top, it really starts to come into its own in the upper RPMs, unlike TPI where the intake resonence starts to work against it self. the HSR would be good on a 400, but if you can go carbed, i think it is the way to go, power is probably actualy better with the carb, and it is cheaper... win win situation.

I think I meant tunnel ram. Well, I know I'm right about the TPI, my post is corrected until I find out for sure. Razz

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stealth Ram is a fuel injected tunnel ram. With less cubes I made as much torque as a 383 miniram.
Gibby85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was wrong.....TPI is the only one of the above that suffers from high rpm power loss.

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibby85 wrote:
Yep, I was wrong.....TPI is the only one of the above that suffers from high rpm power loss.

again gibbs, not 'entirely' true, with the right runner/plenum combination it doesn't Wink (superram comes to mind, it as a LARGE plenum, and short runners, but is technicaly still 'tuned port'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey, do you really think it's tune port though? Yes it has short runners, but I can see how fluid dynamics would show it using the sound waves like TPI. Since the runners come out of the manifold and open straight up, rather than to pass the sound across....
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS tuned port, it's just "tuned" for higher rpms. I guarantee that without special fuel mapping, if the same (or similar) fuel curve were used for the idle to redline test, the super-ram would be a total pig under 3000 or so until the tuning came on.

It's the same type of difference between the Performer and Torker for example. Both great intakes, but one is meant for low end and one is meant for upper end. You must still pick the cam, carb, etc to work with the planned use.

Once again, super-ram or TPI, they both have their purposes, and combinations that will optimize them too.

2 pennies for the pot!
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Dewey, do you really think it's tune port though? Yes it has short runners, but I can see how fluid dynamics would show it using the sound waves like TPI. Since the runners come out of the manifold and open straight up, rather than to pass the sound across....

Pual, yes it is, because of the firing order, the tuning is not always accross the the runners, the pulse creates a high pressure area, it cannot pick which runner it is going to travel down, i would 'imagine' that in the superram, the same pulses are in effect. Just like they are in the audi, but the audi is tuned to something like 6krpm. and none of the runners point at each other. if there is a high pressure area in the plenum when the valve opens, it is going to travel down the runner.
Gibby85

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
Twilightoptics wrote:

Pual, yes it is, because of the firing order, the tuning is not always accross the the runners, the pulse creates a high pressure area, it cannot pick which runner it is going to travel down, i would 'imagine' that in the superram, the same pulses are in effect. Just like they are in the audi, but the audi is tuned to something like 6krpm. and none of the runners point at each other. if there is a high pressure area in the plenum when the valve opens, it is going to travel down the runner.

Where the hell do you learn this stuff? I wish I had that kind of time.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey's job consists of surfing the internet!
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:

I do other things too :p

like . . . chat with schultzy, spin around in my chair, doodle, and drink coffee Very Happy
Gibby85

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
Twilightoptics wrote:

I do other things too :p

like . . . chat with schultzy, spin around in my chair, doodle, and drink coffee Very Happy

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: