Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wiring mess

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: wiring mess Reply with quote

sooo, this is what the underside of the dash looks like on my 87

please tell me this is not factory?! i think some previous owner tried to install an alarm system and got half way through, probably figured out that they wired it wrong or something. i need to get this out somehow if its not supposed to be there Rolling Eyes what to do, where to start???
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of that is factory.

1st. find any wire that just ends and yank it.

more when i get off work, gota go

Arrow
scott in wa.

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

Hey I Think I did that wiring job...LOL......

That may be a fan switch....????

scott
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I like speghetti! lol Looks to me like all of that is a built in problem someone needed to pay closer attention to the instructions lol

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like factory german wiring...as an owner of 2 audi's, ask me how I know. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next thing to do is follow wires and find out where they all go. that switch.. what does it switch? (probably a fan)

does anything connect into the fuse box? if so where? some of that may be for somones hack-job radio install.
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i got some more pics today. some of it does seem like it is factory, other stuff...especially that thicker black looking wire does not look like it is factory.

IF that blue wire is factory...shouldnt it be hooked up to something???

what are those 2 boxes???? i think they may be from an alarm system. i know some previous owner tried, or had an alarm system installed....the horn is under the hood, there is some box under the center console shifter plate, and an LED flasher light on the dash. i never got any remotes though.

and as far as that switch, no clue what it does. never seen it before till i yanked that panel off

*** so, here is a problem i have now...which i did not have before i undid the panels to reveal all this mess. as i was putting the 2 plastic panels back in place all of a sudden i hear the (LEFT) blinker light ticking on the dash, which i don't understand why as the turn signal lever was not switched into either the turn left or right position. so i go walk around the car to see only the front left corner blinker lights flashing (nose and fender). could any of these wires have anything to do with that? my only thought is that one of the wires accidentally got pinched when i was screwing the panels back or an end accidentally touched metal.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing you set off the alarm. the horn is not hooked up and only one of the blinkers is still connected to it.

those boxes are NOT factory.

the red and blue coiled wires clearly go to that light on your dash, i think.

the red, black and yellow wires that go into the radio pod are most likly for the radio. why somone would run new ones when the proper wires are back there is beyond me... the black is ground. the red and yellow, one of them is BATT hot, and one is IGN hot (hot when ignition is on). to find out which is which use a testlight, put the test lead on one with the car off, does it light? if so that is your battery hot. if not turn on the ignition, does it light? if so this is your Ignition hot.

it looks like they tie into your alarm box. if that is the case, after verifing that they are for the radio's power (to test: disconnect the batery hot and see if your radio still works) disconnect them from the alarm box, pull the deck and reconnect them to the originasl factory wires. (may be different colors).

---------------------------------------------------------------

in your last picture, on the rigth there is a grey (white?) wire tapped to a teal/terquoise wire that is plugged into that blue thing on the white wire going to your courtesy light. does that grey (white?) wire disapear behind the side molding?

IF YES: i want you to test somthing. shut all doors except the drivers door, turn off the interior lights (if they are switched on with the dimmer) and unplug the teal wire from the courtesy light. did the intirior lights go off?

if YES: somone has screwed with somthing. pull the side pannel and find the cut white wire, reconnect it to the white wire that has the teal one connected to it, your intirior lights should come back on now.

if NO to either of those:
leave it unplugged, it goes to the alarm module and lets it know when your doors are open.

------------------------------------------------------------

again in your last photo. do you see that tapped together set of wires coming out of the firewall? do those go to one of the module/boxes? if so follow them under the hood and find out where they go. do any of them go to the battery? if so remove those wires.

----------------------------------------------------------------

the smaller of the two boxes... does it only have that one thick black wire coming out of it? where does the black wire lead? if no where remove that box.
------------------------------------------------------------------

once you have cleared some of the stuff out take more pictures and i will help with the rest. Smile

Last edited by Xophertony on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that mess does kook like alarm. As far as the switch, it could very well be for the valet function of the alarm.

No idea about the blinker, normally the park light circuit is hooked to the alarm, not the blinkers (only one wire to hook up). Alarm outputs a "flashing" ground which is connected park lights.

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concour with most of what has been said.

That black box in the third picture is a reciever for a remote controled alarm.

Don't know much about aftermarket, but the GM equipped stuff on 98-03 cars has that exact same box.

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the all those wires are now gone, along w/ a bunch of wires that were cluttering up the drivers side of the engine bay. much cleaner now.

that however, did not solve my turn signal problem. i think the hazard switch and turn signals are just messed up in general. when you try to turn on the right turn signal, its hard to lock the switch into place and when it is on, the flasher on the dash and on the exterior lights just light up solid. left side is fine. when the hazards are on, only the front left corner flashes (and only the left light on the dash flashes. weirdness. ideas on this one?

i guess im making progress Confused

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since I had this problem, but IIRC there are two metal blinker switches in the fuseblock under your dash. By the way you describe your problem I would say the right side is dead.

Before you run off to the store though, try switching the two blinkers in the fuseblock. That will sometimes get them working.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the right not flashing sounds like a bulb out somewhere.. Make sure all the bulbs are good. The emergency flashers and the sticky lever sound like you may need to replace the turn signal switch.

Normally the 2 flashers are for different things. One is for the turn signals.. one is for the emergencies.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:

Normally the 2 flashers are for different things. One is for the turn signals.. one is for the emergencies.

that is correct. you can interchange them however. the emergency bulb will make your turn signals blink a little slower (it is meant to handle more juice) and the signal flasher will make your hazards blink realy quick. this is a good thing to test. but with how cheap the bulbs and flashers are i would replace BOTH flashers and all the bulbs just to see whats up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: